Sign in to follow this  
Gerbrandd

Cannot launch ArmA demo properly

Hello,

I'm new to this game, so please excuse me for my ignorance...:)

I've downloaded the Armed Assault demo from the ArmA site (one of the mirror sites). Installed everything, just working fine. But whenever I want to startup the game loads a few seconds and then the 'intro' (I guess) starts, but the background is black, and all I can see is a grey 'island'. Waiting for about 15 minutes, still the 'intro' playing. No menu. No reaction.

I've recently reïnstalled the drivers for my video card -everything is up to date.

My specifications are the following:

-Intel core i5 760 @2.80 Ghz (Quad core)

-4G RAM

-nVidia GeForce GTS 450

-About 1TB free memory

Hope someone can help me out.

I had a simlar problem with a1 due to my ram, and vista, being that it wouldnt detect more than 2gb, the menues were all black ect. My fix was to disable my ram up to 2gbs through msconfig, that may be a solution.

Ofcourse before such actions remember to patch the game to the latest version if it is not so.

Regards Jeza

Edited by Jeza

Why are you trying the a1 demo?

Go for arma2free or get the full here.

I had a simlar problem with a1 due to my ram, and vista, being that it wouldnt detect more than 2gb, the menues were all black ect. My fix was to disable my ram up to 2gbs through msconfig, that may be a solution.

Ofcourse before such actions remember to patch the game to the latest version if it is not so.

Regards Jeza

Thanks, but actually I don't even see a menu :(

The intro just starts all over again

ArmA 1 and Windows 7 do not get along, there is a compatibility patch for the full game but not the demo. You need to be running Windows XP to run the demo for ArmA 1

As you are new I can understand the confusion. The game ArmA has several versions but to be honest it's all the same game that is being continually being developed. Some have said that ArmA 2 is ArmA 1 with grass. It's not quite that simple but it's also not too far from the truth. As of right now if you want to give ArmA a go. Want to try the game without costing you any up front money to see if you like the game, try "ArmA 2 Free".

It's almost the full game and one of the most complete "free" games currently available.

Couple of words of warning about ArmA before you get pissed off:

It's a simulator not a regular shooter game, so it dose not run at high frames per second. The graphics settings "Normal" is normal! not poor or low but normal and how the game is supposed to be played.

The game has a steep learning curve, that said it's one of the best features because you will never completely master every element of the game. Even after years of playing there is still lots to learn.

The Free version is a little crazy right now, lots of new people jumping on the servers not sure what to do. As such some servers, well it's close to anarchy!