Sign in to follow this  
PELHAM

TUNNELS? (Or at least some underground places)

I realised a minute ago......like I was shot...like I was shot with a diamond...a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, "My God, the genius of TUNNELS!

That is one thing that is missing! We need some underground stuff. Not sure if it's applicable to Arma3 but all the theatres NATO are fighting in now, the enemy uses tunnels for transport, cover and to ambush from.

I don't particularly like large tunnel maps as they give me motion sickness in FPS but the occasional bunker or small tunnel complex would be cool.

I don't particularly like large tunnel maps as they give me motion sickness in FPS but the occasional bunker or small tunnel complex would be cool.

How does a (static) tunnel give you motion sickness?

Ever played Descent?

Haha! Nice reference!! Tis my fav film of all time. Im not even gonna say what it is, theres no need. :)

I 'spose tunnels would be interesting to have somewhere in the new island. Would also make for some excellent trolling; "Arma has turned into a corridor shooter" or "COD's corridors are better" lol. :D

It isn't static when you run down it, head bobbing and turning corners at high speed. Don't ask me how it happens as I don't operate this PC from a ship lol. Tunnels and buildings in certain FPS games make me feel ill. :dead:

Simulation sickness

Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.[1]

The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the human brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and mass vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[7] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness.

The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness. Some can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. Research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.[12]

In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks."[13][14]

The phenomenon was well-known in popular culture before it was known as simulation sickness. In the 1983 comedy film Joysticks, the manager of a local video arcade says, "The reason why I never play any of these games, well, they make me physically ill. I mean, every time I look in one of the screens, they make me dizzy."

(Yes I copied this from Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness#Simulation_sickness

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Haha! Nice reference!! Tis my fav film of all time. Im not even gonna say what it is, theres no need. :)

I 'spose tunnels would be interesting to have somewhere in the new island. Would also make for some excellent trolling; "Arma has turned into a corridor shooter" or "COD's corridors are better" lol. :D

COD? Got bored so quickly there was no time to get sick! Really glad ARMA exists, it's the best FPS / sim there is.

Edited by PELHAM

AI already has a joyful time with bridges and enclosed areas :p

Does arma terrain support some kind of face-deleting to even make this possible?

I think he meant Descent the game... :) a rather old Doom-'em-up.

You have head bob on? Head bob is the most unrealistic game feature I have ever seen implemented. If that's what you feel like when you are running in real life, you must be one serious clutz. I can run full speed and I'm in complete control of my body and vision, and it's as steady as a mounted tripod. Quite frankly even the gun sway is a bit over exaggerated, at least to my skill level. That I could live with.. head bob, pfft waste of code

I know there are underwater 'caves' (i heard it in one of the gameplay videos).

As for underground tunnels... Not a big fan, but I suppose the sewers could be used by the resistance to attack certain places in towns. I would prefer other features than this though.

AI already has a joyful time with bridges and enclosed areas :p

Does arma terrain support some kind of face-deleting to even make this possible?

No not currently but it could as VBS2 has such features for underground bunkers etc

db392057.jpg

I think he meant Descent the game... :) a rather old Doom-'em-up.
I did mean that game, but he actually means the refence in the first post to a quote from Apocalypse Now.

It would have been cool to see caves or something like that for Operation Arrowhead, since that kinda gameplay could relate to that enviroment. You know, like Taliban in the caves in Afghanistan. But Arma 3 takes place on a meditarainian island. A place where living in caves isn't really common and the enemy won't be hiding. The only thing I could think of is tunnels for trains and stuff. But that also doesn't really make sense scince a small Island rarely holds a network of railways.

Tunnels would be cool. I know they have underground structures in VBS2, so hopefully they can bring that feature to ArmA III.

I would love fighting in under ground buncer complexes, it would be both hectic and strategic. Tight underground battles would be a nice complement to the massive long range fights that usually roams the Armaverse.

Yup , underground structures would add a lot to the game .

I have asked about tunnels and caves probably around 5-10 times in this forum, and I talk about this almost every day in my ArmA unit. I want tunnels, caves, and underground complexes as much as I wanted enterable buildings for OA.

Now the big thing is: Once they get put in, will AI use them at all/correctly? Because even more than I want these things, I want AI that will actually utilize buildings and just act a tad bit smarter than currently.

Now the big thing is: Once they get put in, will AI use them at all/correctly? Because even more than I want these things, I want AI that will actually utilize buildings and just act a tad bit smarter than currently.

That would be the trick! Hopefully AI would use them just like the interior of a building. They already have ladders in game too so hopefully the AI are already coded for it all.

I did mean that game, but he actually means the refence in the first post to a quote from Apocalypse Now.

Are you just drawing a wild conclusion? :p If not, please, clarify, because I do not get it. I mean, where is a quote being referenced from Apocalypse Now, and who is doing the referring?

OT: I think some under-ground complexes, of some sort, would be OK. However, I do not think the AI will have fun with tunnels. :) I can just 'see' the AI not getting out my way, and me having to (hopefully, be able, to at least) micro-manage them. Yuk!

Underground and tunnels? How good do you think that would really look considering the limitations in Armas lighting engine? Only one lightsource that can create shadows (probably with good reason) and two sided shading model.

Not that I don't want it, but I think the engine upgrade requirement would be too costly to be realistic if we want it implemented good. Using #lightsource object is not a good option I think.

Lol!! No wild conclusions, mate. OP references Apocalypse Now in the first paragraph.

Both Descents i played were epic for its time, very easy to get lost in the later levels though. Hehe, i wouldnt want that in Arma! Id have enough trouble nevermind the AI.

Sewer systems and caves would be pretty sweet yeah, would compliment a revamped CQB/Animation system. Fingers crossed. :)

rscarrab, OK, I believe I get it now. It has been a really long time since I saw that movie.

About lighting, I guess there could be places where only the flashlight could be used to see. IMO, most would probably forgive the lighting issues in exchange for something a little different, and possibly even relevant to some real world places, regarding where the conflict is taking place.

Underground and tunnels? How good do you think that would really look considering the limitations in Armas lighting engine? Only one lightsource that can create shadows (probably with good reason) and two sided shading model.

Not that I don't want it, but I think the engine upgrade requirement would be too costly to be realistic if we want it implemented good. Using #lightsource object is not a good option I think.

Hey,

If we think like that, we end up with RV3 and not a new version of it. :D

I'm pretty sure improvements to lighting engine are on the works, including multiple light sources casting shadows.

_neo_

@Carlgustaffa

In making suggestions for game improvements it is not for us to say whether it can be implemented, it's to tell the Devs that this is something that Arma could really do with and let them figure it out. At that point, they can decide whether its practical or viable.

I would love to see caves and tunnels in this game.

I'd like to see them also; in an all-out-war and future setting mixed with guerrilla fighters and old school, unconventional ways operating you would see more dug-in enemy, more tunnels, observation posts, bunkers (both nuclear and not), all kinds of stuff. And whoever put sewers earlier, that would be kind of cool.

Edited by Rye

In making suggestions for game improvements it is not for us to say whether it can be implemented, it's to tell the Devs that this is something that Arma could really do with and let them figure it out. At that point, they can decide whether its practical or viable.

I would love to see caves and tunnels in this game.

Well it's not for us to decide anything really but it makes little sense to just throw things out there when we can clearly see what the engine does and doesn't support so far.

So far the AI have little to no ability to work effectively in interior space overground, so suggesting they add tunnels before we've seen improvement in this area just makes little sense.

Of course tunnels would be fun for MP maps and I think I've seen them (trenches) in the upcoming PR mod, but for anything involving AI, I see major issues.