Sign in to follow this  
c_programmer

ArmA's video config is horribly messed up and I cant change it

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum but I dont see a better place to ask:

I just bought and installed ArmA (from Atari if it matters) and it wont start correctly. The video settings are all screwed up, my monitor alerts me that it would be better if it was at 1080p. It is a little difficult to explain what it does next and I cant take a screenshot but basally it cuts the top half of the screen off and doesn't display the buttons as more than black boxes. I can click the buttons and it takes me to other areas that all display incorrectly as well. Here is a terrible quality snap I took of my screen if it helps:

photorwa.jpg

I am running:

-Windows 7 64-bit

-Intel core i7 960

-NVIDIA GTX 480

-12gb ram

-The game is installed on a different drive than my OS (my OS is on a small SSD so I cant install games on it).

Welcome to the forums!

This is the section for ARMA 3. There is an ARMA section. Please be more careful where you post next time and use the search function as this is a common problem. Apply the latest patch for ARMA which you can find here. This problem will go away once you do.

Moving to the correct forum.

Maybe start with -windowed in the commandline? Or change resolution manually in arma.cfg.

Find ArmA2.cfg in Documents/ArmA2 and rename extension to anything.

Then start arma again and see if its fixed.

If not then open the new ArmA2.cfg it with any text editor.

Manually fill in the resolution of your monitor.

Its strange that it didn't work so maybe you should update your graphics driver.

I have this issue too, with an entirely different hardware setup. I apologise for jumping into someone else's thread, but I figured the mods would rather all similar posts be in one. ;)

I'm running a stock-standard Dell 990 Optiplex:

i5-2400 (3.1ghz)

4gb RAM

Windows 7, 32-bit

Intel HD 2000 (Integrated Graphics) - Drivers updated about 3 weeks ago.

The game is installed on the only HDD I have on this PC.

Anyway, here are 2 pic to illustrate the issue

s1kdu9.jpg

sf8jrd.jpg

According to the ARMA.cfg file, it is running at 800x600 - Thinking this might have an effect, I tried to adjust it to my native resolution (1440x900) this did fix the resolution, but it also resulted in a longer load time and still has the same graphic issue as seen in the pic below.

17wsnb.jpg

Renaming the extension had no effect either.

I attempted the window command line, but still no luck.

2nvt6c9.jpg

Now, I'm not sure if this helps at all but, here is are some screen shots of A2, which (despite looking bad due to my crap hardware) runs fine.

13ymiau.jpg

wki6on.jpg

25znprd.jpg

I'm not sure if this helps either but - This PC has problems running Combat Mission titles too - From my research, this was a result of OpenGL not being supported by my GPU. I am unaware if ARMA Gold makes use of OpenGL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I currently cannot play A2 properly and decided to buy ARMA Gold hoping I could get my "fix" that way. :(

Edited by Nokturnal1ne

I'm afraid in your case Nocturnal1ne, your graphics card is not capable of running ARMA.

Whats the situation with you c_programmer?

How can he be able to run Arma 2 (albeit with poor graphics) but not be able to run Arma 1?

But it's capable of running ARMA 2, and while the FPS aren't super high, and I can't max out settings, it doesn't run badly.

I realise the GPU is crap, and am planning on upgrading it. But I assumed an older version of a game which I can run, would run better.

Additionally, if two users, with vastly different hardware setups are having the same issue wouldn't that suggest the problem is not a result of the hardware?

For kicks I reinstalled Arma to see if I got this problem.

- Installed Arma boxed version 1.04 - got the above issue.

- Installed QG boxed and 1.08 - got the above issue.

- Installed 1.14 - got the above issue.

- Installed 1.18 RC - above issue was fixed.

-Installed 1.18 Final - above issue was fixed.

Is it possible that there could be an issue with the download versions of Arma? Nokturnal1ne, where did you buy Arma Gold?

@Snafu - I bought ARMA Gold from Sprocket. It downloads as 1.18, I can't try any earlier patches, nor any beta patches.

More news, adding even more confusion to the matter. Perhaps a mod/admin can shed some light on what is happening?

I downloaded the ARMA Gold demo to see if it was a hardware issue (from here http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/28003 ) and installed it - It runs fine....

The version appears to be 1.06.5149 - Released in/around 2007.

It also had ATARI flash up amongst the loading screens if that helps.

I maxed out the settings to check if it works, and while the FPS won't go above 20, it still runs well enough to be played (and of course would be fine when I lower the graphics a bit here/there).

So I can't see how my graphics can now be causing an issue with the updated, Gold version. Were there some major changes in the engine which could have caused this?

Pics to follow

1zwndya.jpg

hvndbb.jpg

x2pflj.jpg

5yfgp4.jpg

2qdn3id.jpg

2vkb5ee.jpg

There must be a reason why this has happened. Stock ARMA (1.06) works, ARMA Gold (1.18) does not..ARMA 2 (1.59) does work, OA works, BAF/PLC works....What has happened?

That is odd! Definitely something going on if you can run the 1.06 demo but not the full 1.18 final game. Doesn't look like it could be a hardware issue on your end.

Perhaps there is something with the download versions that's different? The OPs Arma was a download version from Atari too.

Might be something else though. The problem seems to be present for quite a few people and the 1.18 patch doesn't solve it for all, if you browse through the topics here. In fact, for some, everything worked fine before 1.18!

Since you bought from Sprocket (BIS) I'm sure they'll look into it and get your game running if you e-mail them.

Edited by Snafu

Yes there does appear to be a lot of confusion surrounding this latest patch. Some claiming everything is fixed now, others saying it's broken now.

I am currently in the process of discussing the issue with a member of Sprocket. I intend to open a new thread to hopefully gain some more attention from the devs here on the forums. However I will wait for more information/facts so I can make it a detailed thread, hopefully with some solutions others can use.

It's windows 7 x64.Upgrade to 1.18.Check out the readme on 1.14 it says

Fixed issues on some 64-bit systems.

Is it so difficult to update to 1.18?????

You mean the OP or Nokturnal1ne?

Don't know about the OP but Nokturnal1ne got his Arma Gold from Sprocket so it is patched to 1.18 I believe. Doesn't work for him but he can play the 1.06 demo without problems.

I'm having the same issue, and have the latest version on Steam. -nosplash fixed it for me one time, but then it reverted to the same problem for some reason. Have tried all the fixes I could find. Help?

Anyone find a fix to this issue? Patching to 1.18 does not seem to fix it for the Steam version either.