Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

Mission Editing Competition 2011

mec2sig.jpg

Yes, that's right folks: OFPEC The Editing Center in cooperation with Bohemia Interactive Studios is officially announcing its next Mission Editing Competition! This contest will challenge editors to focus their skills on creating a fully immersive mission that draws the player in and leaves them thirsting for more.

The Rules

• The entry must be constructed from any of the the Arma 2 titles
  • All Community members are welcome
  • Each entry must be single-player and contain a proper Overview, Briefing and cinematic Intro and Outro
  • You may submit more than one entry
  • Only missions that have not yet been released by 30 June 2011 are eligible for entry! (includes Beta releases)
  • All entries MUST contain a Readme file in the download, crediting content from others, be it original or modified scripts etc. Failure to disclose or deliberate false representation is automatic disqualification
  • Community addons are welcome, up to 1 GB. That's an upper limit, NOT a minimum limit! If you think a vanilla unit/island can do the job instead of an addon, go with vanilla. Only use addons if you really feel it is necessary and adds to the experience!
  • No automatically/globally activated mods, e.g. AI mods, sound mods. Feel free to suggest using them, but do not make it a requirement (judging will be done without the mods loaded)
  • No Total Conversion Mods, e.g. ACE, SLX. Feel free to make them compatible or optional, but not required (judging will be done without the mods loaded)
  • You will be penalized for mistakes the addon maker has made! If the addon throws up error messages, causes havoc in the .rpt, is unoptimized, ugly, sounds bad or doesn't work properly, this will reflect in your score. So choose wisely if you decide to use addons!

The Deadline

The competition begins today, 1st July 2011, 00:00 GMT with a deadline of 1st September 2011, 00:00 GMT. Entries submitted after this time will not be accepted. Should you wish to already submit an entry please read this post.

The Judging

The entries will be judged by a panel of four anonymous Community members. The categories which entries will be judged on are as follows:

• Originality - How fresh and creative the mission is
  • Immersion - How captivating the mission is
  • Technical framework - How well the mission design works
  • Replayability - How freely the player can adopt his own tactics
  • Overall - How the mission fits together as a whole

All entries that are found complete and free of bugs will be uploaded to OFPEC's Mission Depot Archives to stand alongside the greats from the past.

The Prizes

You'll be competing for prizes provided to us by Bohemia Interactive Studios.

1st Place

Arma2 : Reinforcements and an Arma2 backpack

2nd Place

Arma2:OA tshirt, Arma2 wallet and a Takistan or Chernarus map

3rd Place

Arma2:OA tshirt and a Takistan or Chernarus map

Further Discussion

For questions or comments, feel free to post them in the MEC 2011 sticky thread.

Think you have what it takes to weave the magic of storytelling with the ferocity of teeth-clenching game play? Submit your entry at the OFPEC forums by September 1st. We'll see you there!

Edited by Zipper5

Will have to slap up something halfway decent for this.

Edited by Celery

Each entry must be single-player and contain a proper Overview, Briefing and cinematic Intro and Outro

So basically only story based missions, right?

Not only. We're asking that authors submit a complete package. That includes some sort of explanation for why the mission is taking place. It's nothing that author's shouldn't be doing already with any mission they make. You wouldn't just throw units on a map, place down opposition, an end trigger and export it. No you would want it to make sense for others to understand it well enough to not only play it but enjoy it.

i have few questions

1. Can i post missions with previous bis games (arma:cwa,arma1) music to this competition?

2. If someone win and he's live outside czech-republic, what the user do to get those prizes?

aw :( this ends just a few days before i come home :(.

@ savedbygrace

Most PvP or fun missions, or even MP coop don't have that kind of background.

If you do want to focus on other types, this is fine with me personally.

I am just asking for a clarification what type missions can be submitted.

Thanks.

zipper, are YOU going to make a mission/campaign for this?

I loved your Op.Cobalt and Blood, so I wonder if you're making another one.

@PvPscene

There is nothing stopping you entering an MP mission but it must be fully playable in SP.

@Cobra500

Music from the other games is fine to use.

The winner's location is not an issue and will AFAIK be sent to you

Can't require mods? b'awwww, oh well :(

"Community addons are welcome, up to 1 GB."

No Total Conversion Mods, e.g. ACE, SLX. Feel free to make them compatible or optional, but not required (judging will be done without the mods loaded)

How is it possible to make an ACE2 compatible mission without requiring the mod?

It's a real question, maybe not the best place to ask though.

I am often adding ACE2 features/content in my missions with this:

if (isClass(configFile/"CfgPatches"/"ace_main")) then {};

Then if the mod is detected, a code in {} is used.

Edited by SaOk

zipper, are YOU going to make a mission/campaign for this?

I loved your Op.Cobalt and Blood, so I wonder if you're making another one.

Thanks, means a lot. :) Unfortunately I do not have the time at the moment to devote to making a new unofficial campaign or mission, so I will not be entering the competition.

How is it possible to make an ACE2 compatible mission without requiring the mod?

It's a real question, maybe not the best place to ask though.

Either by using a method like SaOk just described or simply testing your mission to make sure the mod you're testing with doesn't break it. It is all entirely optional.

Just a question. If someone wins the first price and allready have Arma2:RFT can he/she say that he/she don't want it because he/she allready got it?

Of course you can refuse the prizes but because of shipping cost, we won't be splitting the prizes. If you decide that you do not want the prize after winning one, just say so and the prizes will be shipped to the next higher score in line. You will of course retain your ranking as that prize winner.

But you could always gift the prize to a friend to recruit them into the Armaverse too.

A cinematic intro/ outro? I'm totally screwed.

Cinema is certainly worth learning. It improves your projects a great deal more.

Most PvP or fun missions, or even MP coop don't have that kind of background.

If you do want to focus on other types, this is fine with me personally.

I am just asking for a clarification what type missions can be submitted.

Thanks.

As long as the mission can be played and completed in SP, you may submit however you like. You can have a story as simple as...Cookie Monster has the rest of the cast held at gunpoint in front of the Deli until someone returns his bag of chocolate chip cookies. It's up to us to go in and take him down without killing him. (Although I have often wondered what color puppet blood was)

It doesn't take much to provide a story and have the mission make sense. But how much effort will determine the score.

Of course you can refuse the prizes but because of shipping cost, we won't be splitting the prizes. If you decide that you do not want the prize after winning one, just say so and the prizes will be shipped to the next higher score in line. You will of course retain your ranking as that prize winner.

But you could always gift the prize to a friend to recruit them into the Armaverse too.

Ok thanks for the answer. :)

I've never been a fan of mods. I have ArmA 2 and plenty of Ennio Morricone (if we don't have to create our own music) at my disposal to do this, but I'm no genious, and I admire the beauty of other persons creations over my own. All I can do is assign inventory stats, put people in vehicles, and watch a bunch of stuff blow up. Lol.

Do you know if i allow to use BAF and PMC DLC versions in this competition although you get arma2:reinforcements that include all DLCs?

You can freely to use the DLCs, I will use those too.

Can campaigns will allow in this competition?

How many mission i can send to this competition? (one or more)

No campaigns will be accepted but you may enter as many single player missions as you like

Can i upload the mission to other sites like armaholic AFTER i sent it to ofpec?