Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Isla Balkania (aka Project Massacra)

Big city in the Valley will resemble a modern town. If you want a comparision it will be closer to Sarajevo than anything else. And yes, it will be big - at least 3-5 authors will work on it after beta.

Island will have own set of Units not connected with SuperRat. RACS -> Indepedent (North & Central Valley), BLUFOR Cittanova (West Coast), OPFOR Cecania (East). They are my custom forces (except RACS, wld427's work) and have no connection to RL.

Kosovo? I'm not familiar with the terrain there, if you have some cool shots lemme know and maybe I can incorporate part of a map. But currently most of the area is already set and I'm getting ready for first test (my beta team SBP, no other testers allowed). Then RACS team gets the beta and then all of you.

Here's a pic (RL) of an airport that will be featured on NW part of this map ;)

well this is "Portoroz" airport in Slovenia. Nice choice..

any screenshot of the Island shape or something.. soon?

Edited by W0lle
quoted image

Hope you will include heavily destroyed towns, something like grozny, need atleast one city like that to get the feeling of war, not shiny new buildings like in A2 :/

Maybe have run-down places instead.

And is there a single picture of it in the entire thread?

Page 8.... :eek:

Boom!

It's a picture of a real life airport, but it gives an idea of what the north airport will look like on the map :P

General_NS assisted me with the project so you will also get Zastava Yugo 45A & Zastava Yugo Koral (50 kW/68 hp) with the map ;)

- civilian versions & rally

- police version

Pic:

yugo3.jpg

Still no ETA on the map. Other project needs to be finished first.

Edited by IceBreakr

hi icebreaker, quick little question :

is there any mountainous area ? if yes, are you going to make some snow on the top of the most hight mountains ?

thanks

After a long freeze (Feb 19 2012) we're resuming the work. Reason: acquired 3rd party tools allow us to work much faster so we won't be waiting on A3 and possible new tools.

Edited by IceBreakr

I'm glad to announce that Balkania project is reopened with help of Bushlurker's map assistance (u rock man!), Mondkalb objects and makers of 3rd party mapmaking tools.

It is based on 1:2 ratio of real world terrain. We would make 1:1 but sadly current tools have problems with 4096 pixel terrain maps (unable to move them in V3 2D mode on right part of map). Map area will be 16x16km, based on 32x32 RL terrain with certain modifications that will make it more gameplay friendly for 2-3 waring factions.

Hopefully talented -Martin- will be able to assist me with some new buildings for the map based on RL data. If you're an experienced A2 building maker, please let me know, extra hands are always welcome :)

A fake Rahmadi (Ramadi?) island will be added to the corner of the map so you'll be able to mount air operations from there, too.

Other details remain the same as in first post. No screenshots available yet, I'll post them when I'll feel comfortable with the map progress.

Yeah really good news. I always love your maps. Keep it up and thanks for all your hard work.

cheers

Martin, or whoever will assist you with buildings, please make sure to use this technology.

Although I won't be able to help out with buildings directly, feel free to contact me if you encounter problems or just for general feedback/ideas. :)

Great to see this back on track. I'm currently in Croatia (Podstrana near Split) so drop me a PM if you need any specific photos or videos (Landscape,vegetation,Buildings, something else).

Yep indeed, very pleased to see you continue work on this project. :)

That's great news. Would you be willing to share the location of the realworld data?

I hope to post first screenshots by the end of this week :)

Location? Majority of map is based on RL data, area can be seen here ;)

But some areas have been changed for better gameplay, mostly NE and SE parts ;)

Looks promising! Will you mostly stay true to the original, or spice up things to allow for better missions/conflicts. For exacmple will the border be sealed with big fences and guard towers?

Well, biggest issue with fences and bridges is.... sadly, AI. So I think to keep the borders quite open (they'll be fake since third faction controls most of Eastern part of map) and provide roads under the bridges (where possible).

hmm intetesting choice of location. I guess we will need a fisherman war mission where players try to blow up the oponents boats