Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Isla Balkania (aka Project Massacra)

that sounds interesting, any chance of some screenshots

Would it be cool to:

- release map with a weekly/monthly build

- have couple of positions preset that won't change, intended for setting up FOB/bases

- add new settlements and parts of biggest town each build

- makeshift airports that get upgraded each build

What is your opinion?

Icebreakr,

I think all 4 of your suggestions are great ideas.

-With the weekly/monthly build idea, you will be able to receive feedback from the community in the form of new ideas as well as bugs/improvements.

-Preset positions are a good idea because I can recall the various gas stations, hospitals, etc from OFP that were scattered around the islands where one could heal, refuel, etc. It would be a novel idea to have "repair centers" as well where one could drive their damaged vehicle through and get repaired. Many players don't understand the concept of combined arms warfare which leads to mobile units suck in the field out of fuel, low on ammo and in need of repair.

-Modular building of towns sounds good. I think it will help pinpoint any problems you may have earlier in the construction process rather than building the entire town only to find that there are problems with FPS, etc.

-Makeshift airports. A good idea. Refuel/Repair/Rearm center included :)

FM

We're getting closer to alpha, but I have this project a bit on side-track, I'm finishing up Lingor v1.33 that became a really huge and time consuming update.

I am sure this will be a quality map. As your other maps Icebreakr.

The only concern I have, is that connection to Sahrani map. It doesn't fit.

I would suggest to make a consequent Balkania map and keeping all the town names and country names strictly "Balkanish".

Right now it sounds like a big mixup of Sahrani, Slovenia, Croatia and Kolgujev.

Duala and Lingor and Jade Groove were very consequent.

Towns will be balkanish.

As you can see the release is delayed. Mainly because I still use this crappy V3 tool that is absolute rubbish (aka too slow).

Hi IceBreakr,

personally I'm very intrested in such an island. Please keep us updated. If you need someone to test it, count me in. If it's in beta I'll also discuss testing it in our community.

Very very nice... Love all your Islands.

I hope you get the scale 1:1 based on real terrain (if its based on real terrain anyway).

Real terrain area is 30x40.... 1:1 is no can do... or we can wait for A3 :)

Real terrain area is 30x40.... 1:1 is no can do... or we can wait for A3 :)

Hmmm... And what if you would just take a lets say 15x15 or 20x20 area of that 30x40 real terrain?

Even ArmA III Terrain is not 1:1, Devs confirmed it... which is very sad...

For me its currently the remaining #1 Immersion-breaker - if you start to look for those inaccuracies while playing...

So i really hope, that anyone of the community will do a 1:1 Terrain when Arma3 is out, so many of you talented Map makers and none of you is making a real terrain which feels real....:o

mr.g-c: problem is that I have to pay for that hi-res data of terrain ;) otherwise its also unrealistic if the grid is only 90m or something like that. I also have to think of playability and I need to have some creative freedom. Biggest problem is that I have to put in an island for "invasion" or CAS type of scenarios. And that sea in between the mainland and isle takes a lot of space ;)

Black Cat: western, modern.

Edited by IceBreakr

Icebreaker, I don't want to sound greedy, but after a trip to Zadar a couple of weeks ago, two ideas occured to me.

Do you think Balkania could include an Old Town style village or two in the one of the coasts? I know creating new buildings is a lot of work, but maybe some of the existing buildings could be retextured to resemble the off-white and weathered 15th to 17th century houses. Also, it might be easier to make a ruined village, instead of an intact one?

Secondly, and this is really just an idea, not a request :) When Balkania is finished and you happen to find yourself with too much spare time (yeah right), how about trying to replace all modern buildings with older ones, creating a World War II era Balkania? Now that would be a map I expect would have all kinds of interesting uses... :cool:

However Balkania will turn up, I'm sure its going to be super.

Dialektiikka: I have these places reachable in 2-5 hour drive, so I have bunch of photos and reference shots already taken. Problems right now are:

- I still have to use this crappy V3 tool that is time consuming to say it mildly, for example one small town takes 1 whole day. Go figure.

- have bunch of RL obligations (spending time with 2-month old baby and g/f, regular office work, running milsim team, organizing firearm practices, making new business deals, company assembly meetings, etc.)

Only help I got with objects so far is by -Martin- and Mondkalb, two great guys. And both of them are busy as f*** with their own stuff so I don't wanna ask for anything more :)

As you can see here one town resembling that takes *A LOT* of time. And that is like 5% of the map.

If you have any requests with photos, send me a shot or two to my PM or mail (at my website). And I'll see what I can do. No promises.

Edited by IceBreakr

Icebreaker: Yeah, I've noticed that they don't sell Spare Time as cheaply as they used to. And it only comes in these teensy packs these days... :D

I took as much reference photos in Zadar and Split as I could. Also, I'm trying to dust off my Bender and V3 this winter and figure out some Arma2 building creation. I got a great contact helping me learn architectural 3D modelling.

Can't promise anything yet, but if I get some medieval Balkanian style churches done by spring, I'll send them your way :)

Icebreaker: Yeah, I've noticed that they don't sell Spare Time as cheaply as they used to. And it only comes in these teensy packs these days... :D

I took as much reference photos in Zadar and Split as I could. Also, I'm trying to dust off my Bender and V3 this winter and figure out some Arma2 building creation. I got a great contact helping me learn architectural 3D modelling.

Can't promise anything yet, but if I get some medieval Balkanian style churches done by spring, I'll send them your way :)

That would be cool

I've spottet one of the churchtowers that pretty much looks like the venice style ones that are all around that area (at least at the coast) in TKOH.

Ice, if you need some more refrence pics, I could provide you with some shot's I've taken in a holliday in bosnia, croatia and slovenia 2 years ago. Especially the northern (bosnia?) part of the map would need some really worn out, "littered with bulletholes" buildings, as this is still the status quo in the muslim part of BiH.

EDIT: Yes I know that you have a lot of pics, but maybe not from BiH. :)

Edited by Banshee

Gazija: map is not final so it will be shown when first public test version arrives. It still changes almost on daily basis.

update: now as Lingor 1.33 is done, I'm continuing my work on Balkania project.

Edited by IceBreakr

Hey Icebreakr, Great Work on Balkania!

I have a few questions to ask however,

Will the big city in the valley resemble Split or Dubrovnik in some ways? Or will it be more like Zagreb or even Sarajevo?

Also, next question, will the big city be actually big like Zargabad?

Also, because you are working in conjunction with SuperRat, will his VRS, ARBiH and HVO units be released with your map?

Thanks man and great work again!

Hvala i pozdrav! ;)

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Not much progress lately (to show), but first beta is surely on the way.

I'll have a lot of work focused on making some hill border passes like this:

[imghttp://www.shrani.si/f/2P/HL/1p5Atc9E/balkaniaborderpass.jpg[/img]

I'm still deciding how to make a SE part of map, it will be much more flat than rest of the map. Great for tank battles ;)

Is any of the map gonna resemble my homeland (Kosovo)?

:confused:

Edited by Max Power
DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES

Big city in the Valley will resemble a modern town. If you want a comparision it will be closer to Sarajevo than anything else. And yes, it will be big - at least 3-5 authors will work on it after beta.

Island will have own set of Units not connected with SuperRat. RACS -> Indepedent (North & Central Valley), BLUFOR Cittanova (West Coast), OPFOR Cecania (East). They are my custom forces (except RACS, wld427's work) and have no connection to RL.

Kosovo? I'm not familiar with the terrain there, if you have some cool shots lemme know and maybe I can incorporate part of a map. But currently most of the area is already set and I'm getting ready for first test (my beta team SBP, no other testers allowed). Then RACS team gets the beta and then all of you.

Here's a pic (RL) of an airport that will be featured on NW part of this map ;)

1_587735ffbffbbe7873edb3707c070bb0.jpg

Edited by IceBreakr

ylli122

Please do not quote images. A link to the forum rules is up on top top bar. Please use it and give them a read. Thank you.

§14) Remove tags when quoting a post containing an image or embedded video

If you quote a post that contains an image please remove the image tag or the whole image, it helps keep the thread tidy and easier to read if the same image isn't being posted repeatedly, you need only delete one [ to stop the image from hotlinking. If the post contains an embedded video such as YouTube you should remove the tags so the image of the video is not shown in your quote.

Cool. Ill see what pictures I can dig up. I was just wondering because the image was of the KFOR (Kosovo Force) border pass into Serbia and back. As for the terrain of Kosovo, it looks very similar to Å umadija mountain range but the towns like PriÅ¡tina (Prishtina) look like districts of Beograd and ÄŒaÄak. After all, we were all SFRJ. But, i would be happy to assist. As for the map, it looks odliÄna. :) Pozz!