Sign in to follow this  
celery

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part two - Zombies without addons!

chernarusapocalypselogo.pngpart two

Story:

Six days ago, you left your camping spot on the eastern shore and ended up being contacted by Nikita, the leader of a survivor group. Nikita gave you shelter and food, but you had to denounce personal ownership of your weapons, adding to the arsenal for all to use.

A little over an hour ago, the main bulk of the survivors went to explore Berezino for a means to escape. You haven't heard from them after their departure. You have half a mind to go to the town yourself to find out their fate.

Description:

This is a six-player zombie coop mission with four extra slots. You have to complete your objectives and survive against practically endless undead roaming all over the country. The zombies are resistant to bullets, and only a headshot is a sure kill. Your ammunition is worth its weight in gold, hence good aim and engagement discipline go a long way.

For an SP prologue, check out Dawn of the Apocalypse.

Check out part one!

Features:

• Addon-free but convincing zombies
  • Several zombie behavior types
  • Player characters have unique equipment and diaries
  • Custom healing script with shareable bandages
  • Zombies may drop bandages and magazines
  • Pistols are accurate
  • K9 action: dog can herd zombies or bite them to shreds
  • Selectable friendly fire damage rate
  • JIP players start close to the group
  • Character gear, bandages and damage are saved in case a player disconnects
  • Spectator mode after death
  • You can continue the game after dying by picking a new unit slot

Credits:

Mission and scripts: Celery

Apocalypse series concept: Zipper5 and Celery

Nikita's voice: Rejenorst (www.rejenorst.com)

Noises and screams: Thief II: The Metal Age and freesound.org

3rd party music: Shadow Sneaker - Nowhere

Requirements:

ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead

Mod compatibility:

The mission has been designed to run without mods but should work fine with most mods. ACE is accommodated by removing the stamina feature.

Installation:

Put the pbo file into your ArmA 2\MPMissions folder.

>Download version 1.3a<

Changelog:

v1.3a

• Applied v1.3 Free fixes
  • Added a magazine type to the list of items zombies can drop

v1.3 Free

• Applied v1.3 improvements where compatible
  • Fixed erroneous unit descriptions and loadouts
  • Fixed accuracy script
  • Removed dog ending to prevent a possible JIP bug
  • Removed magazine dropping due to network issues

v1.3

• Updated script base to match CA1 v1.2 - server needs to run at least 1.59 BETA
  • Fixed JIP issues
  • Fixed buildings exploding on player JIP
  • Fixed ending screen glitch
  • Removed Vodnik's cargo to prevent ACE jerrycan exploit
  • Tweaked crate loadouts
  • Made zombies less able to hit you unfairly in staircases and ladders
  • Increased dog's attack area
  • Improved music quality

v1.2 Free

• Removed or changed OA objects and units
  • Changed player characters and some of their weapons
  • Downgraded some scripts to A2 friendly form

v1.2

• Fixed object demolition triggers
  • Fixed reporter's marker locality
  • Fixed CLY Heal
  • Fixed debriefing
  • Fixed spectating bugs
  • Added player state saving (gives a JIP player the saved damage and gear of a character if it has been used before)
  • Added a chance for zombies to drop a magazine (spawns at their feet, no need to check gear)
  • Added dog back
  • Added music
  • Added JIP explanation in briefing
  • Added custom GPS marker colors for extra cast
  • Added class specific hints
  • Improved item locations and added hints to find them
  • Improved body removal by showing hideBody to clients
  • Unlocked Vodnik

v1.1

OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE

Characters:

• The Reporter knows more precise locations of the caches, making the search much easier and streamlining the flow of the mission. He's also a natural choice for leaders because of his omniscient GPS.
  • The Mercenary has a suppressed SMG with more ammunition than anyone else. He should be the main shooter at the beginning.
  • The Writer has a suppressed pistol with almost as much ammunition as the Mercenary.
  • The Marine has a suppressed assault rifle, good for taking out zombies from a moderate distance but hasn't much ammo. The choice of a calm and precise shooter.
  • The Doctor is the lifeline of any party with his 8 bandages. His revolver is quite noisy, so he should avoid using it before finding the first cache.
  • The Colonel has the suppressed version of the worst gun in the game (Makarov), but he has an assault rifle with one magazine should times get tough.
  • The German Shepherd has a very special approach. It has very great speed and it kills normal zombies with one bite. On the downside it's very prone to melee damage if it doesn't take out its prey with perfect timing, and it can't heal itself. The dog is best used as a final failsafe to take out zombies that have gotten dangerously close to the rest of the party. It can also attract zombies by barking, and herd them as a distraction or for others to shoot.
  • The rest of the characters are extra slots and shouldn't be picked unless the above slots are taken. They have unsuppressed weapons with less ammo. You might be tempted to pick the marksman, but in the mission's context he has very little ammo and sniping zombies isn't as useful as it might sound at first.

General tips:

• Zombies are vulnerable to headshots. The vulnerability extends to the neck and upper chest area, at least with more powerful weapons.
  • Zombies can hear gunshots. If the party has suppressed guns, avoid firing unsuppressed weapons if you can unless you're ready to fight and clearing zombies from the vicinity is beneficial.
  • Practice fire discipline by using a single shooter per zombie to avoid wasting ammunition. The rest should open fire only if the designated shooter fails to kill the target at a safe distance.
  • Move fast but without leaving anyone behind. Advancing at a walking pace is a waste of time and ultimately exposes you to more zombies.
  • When you're on the move, stop for every zombie that attacks you. If you keep running, you'll soon end up with a self-made horde on your heels.
  • Heal only when you have two strikes unless you have extra bandages and you're clearly heading into harm's way.
  • Closing doors behind you won't help you: it will only make it difficult for you to escape.
  • If you have space, take with you magazines for weapons belonging to an unused slot or extra ones that your party hasn't encountered yet. JIP players will be much better off and you will have extra ammunition for weapons you will find later on.
  • You can kite pursuing zombies by running backwards and bringing up the sights on the move for a very short duration to fire potshots. Requires good timing but is very useful.
  • Zombies sometimes drop bandages or magazines. Don't check their gear as you will never find anything, rather look at the bodies and see if the "take bandage" action comes up. If a magazine is dropped, it will usually be at the zombie's feet as a separate pouch.
  • Vehicles generate noise that attracts zombies from double their normal aggro range.
  • Being unarmed reduces a zombie's aggro range to you by 80%, enabling you to go past them just by leaving a 40 meter gap in between.
  • If you die, you can go back to slot selection and choose another character provided you're not the host of a listen server and there are unused characters.

Objective tips:

• If the Reporter isn't in your party, searching for the caches can take time. To make it easier, split up and systematically check all the places where the caches may be. Do not blindly follow someone else when looking for a cache.
  • The fuel can's location is equally unknown to everyone. Systematic searching and splitting up to speed the process is the way to go here as well. When the can is located, regroup and heal up before taking it.
  • All the possible cache and fuel can locations have been hand-picked and they can be found only in places where the task descriptions say so.
  • Run all the way back to northern Berezino to refuel the Vodnik and escape. Do NOT lag behind, otherwise you'll jeopardize everyone when it's time to get aboard the car. Finding the right way to escape is as easy as reading the map beforehand, or driving straight until you encounter an obstacle on the road. Don't stay put longer than you have to or the car is zombie fodder.

Edited by Celery

Top of your thread says "Part One", shouldn't it say "Part Two" :D

I'll have to try this with a few buddies, first one was fun, I'm sure this one will be as well.

Shush! You can still edit that remark out. :butbut:

Unfortunately the initial version had some fatal flaws in it. Version 1.1 has been released.

Changelog:

v1.1

Nikita approves :D Good to see it released :D

Awesome! Its addon free too. Am downloading now!

EDIT: Lol whoa! That's pretty freaky! I tried running past the zombies and had a tail of them hot on my heels. Managed to run into the town center and decided to run up the hotel stairs with zombies in hot pursuit. Turned around at the top of the stairs to unload a clip into the oncoming zombies and then tried to reload while running past the stairs to the another hotel room and got slashed. Thumbs up!! Also liked the music and the zombie sounds feel like their getting closer and breathing down your neck! Really well done. Also the civi zombies are scary in the way they move :)

http://www.imageupload.org/?d=3FB1C3151

Behind you... Oh noes! :)

Edited by Rejenorst

I dont understand, I have a weapon and some mags and I cant shot? why?

sey, but look, this is the mission, 15-20 min just runing :confused:

fgRW-cmqhT4

I dont understand, I have a weapon and some mags and I cant shot? why?

sey, but look, this is the mission, 15-20 min just runing :confused:

fgRW-cmqhT4

It's supposed to be a coop with friends, slowly advancing through it. Of course you can be a wimp, practically cheating through it by running but what's the fun in that.

Fantastic mission, up until the fuel searching part. We spent at least a full hour and a half looking for the fuel can to no avail. Sadly the mission had to end there as we could not progress any further. You may want to consider making that objective optional, as fuel could have been acquired from the two other vehicles via A.C.E. means. Either way it was a blast up until that section, good work!

Edited by Ajax133

I'll think about a way to make it easier. The caches and the canister have random handpicked locations. The caches can be in enterable buildings, alleys or backyards, and the canister can be in remote corners or inside sheds or shacks.

I don't know if it's worthwhile but maybe sometime down the track you can do a seperate mission, king of the hill zombie romp mode lol. Where you basically have a hill top position with plenty of guns and have to defend against waves of zombies. Maybe make it a desert location mission or something. Ala evil dead. Just a thought but not really nessecary.

Celery, is it normal that APC

is locked?

Yes, it's that way until you refuel it.

It's supposed to be a coop with friends, slowly advancing through it. Of course you can be a wimp, practically cheating through it by running but what's the fun in that.

I have a gun and mags in that video, but the weapon doesnt shot for some reason, so I go to those weapon cache and found nothing, always running becasue of the 300 zombies behind me. Im gonna try to convince some ppl to play it coop

simply i just love it...... just wish this chernarus apocalypse series never end well atleast more then just 3 mission... any way just can't wait for part 3

well no bug every things goes well, though some might guess the mission is bugged n quit because they can't find the jelly can or ammo box,,,,, and they r really hard to find for sure....

well lets just keep it simple,,, here is mine and my friends feed back

1: necessary item like ammo box, jelly can was not easy to find.... (i say they just need to be more organize, though which u can't always do for a tones of reason)

2: day instead of night kill the mood (i say it fit the story n thats realistic u won't go out to a town full of zombie at night, unless u can't help like u r in a hurry, and if it was night time then finding ammo and fuel would be impossible)

3: too much ammo (i say it fit the story, and the amount of ammo is just right... since u hav met some military friends in part 1, its just totally reasonable for them know where about the ammo is and we only had 1 clip or 2 left when we made it back to the car.. if weren't for the MG on that car we would hav been all dead since we were low in ammo at that point)

4: more tasks (i say it was perfect, we spent around 2 hour~ishhhh to completed so yeah if that isn't enough,, what is?)

5: too much running (i say y i havn't heard them said that in part 1)

my opinion every thing was perfect not thing beat realism and good story,,, though acrade style, fun first fuk story could be fun too sooooo did i give any usefull feed back????

any way BIG BIG ty to every 1 work on it, for ur time and effort,,, (no second opinion about that XD)

Thanks for the useful feedback. :)

Version 1.2 is practically ready and it has a pretty long changelog. Won't be long till the release.

Edited by Celery

Version 1.2 released.

Changelog:

• Fixed object demolition triggers
  • Fixed reporter's marker locality
  • Fixed CLY Heal
  • Fixed debriefing
  • Fixed spectating bugs
  • Added player state saving (gives a JIP player the saved damage and gear of a character if it has been used before)
  • Added a chance for zombies to drop a magazine (spawns at their feet, no need to check gear)
  • Added dog back
  • Added music
  • Added JIP explanation in briefing
  • Added custom GPS marker colors for extra cast
  • Added class specific hints
  • Improved item locations and added hints to find them
  • Improved body removal by showing hideBody to clients
  • Unlocked Vodnik

I humbly ask the 8 people who already downloaded the mission to do so again. I left a debug feature in the mission which makes all of the objectives pointless.

I`m going to try this looks different :)

EDIT

Had a real quick go on EP1 and you say it should work with ACE as long as we disable ACE wounding but there is no option in the parameters to do so?.

Thanks

Edited by stk2008

I`m going to try this looks different :)

EDIT

Had a real quick go on EP1 and you say it should work with ACE as long as we disable ACE wounding but there is no option in the parameters to do so?.

Thanks

I don't think there's any trouble with wounds. Stamina is disabled by default.

ACE wounds does nothing unless activated by the mission. Since this is a non-ACE mission, naturally it won't activate the ACE wounds system, and shouldn't cause problems.

Stamina, on the other hand, can cause issues (because, unlike wounds, it is on by default unless disabled by the mission), but Celery already took care of that by setting the appropriate variable that disables the system.

Ah thanks very much all.

I am going to give it a real blast tonight with two others so should be fun :).