Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Is ArmA 3 Futuristic? Yes. Realistic? Maybe.

Actually, yeah they did. The hardcore realism brigade has been around here longer than you think. :)

But they did shut up eventually, thank god, so I'm hoping the same will happen here.

Yeah, but now everyone is acting like the world is ending because NATO uses Mekavas and F2000s.

It is a plausible scenario, but by today's standards, pretty unlikely.

It happens every time BIS releases something. In ArmA 1, lots of people were vocally unhappy with the climate zones of Sahrani and especially the forces composition of the SLA. Of course, the game did a lot of kit bashing and people weren't happy with the Armines/marmy either. Now some people (some others ones, I suppose) want BIS to bring sahrani back for a DLC. When ArmA 2 was released, it had the xm8 in it too, and there were people who didn't like that either. Operation arrowhead came out and there was vocal opposition to the army using SCARs. PMC came out and people started rehashing their xm8 complaints.

As the community has grown, and I guess the gaming public has been militarized being exposed to military themes in videogames, the clamp comes down ever tighter.

I said in another thread that Arma is meant to be a world apart from BF 2142 and games with that ethos, and thats not to say ArmA is anything like 2142 at the same time.

Its a hard one to explain, but i think all should take a chilling pill, because to quell talking about it is pointless when all we have is the teaser and tid bits to go on, unless people flame or start having impatience with those a bit behind and resurfacing concerns that had been covered....let them, maybe they will bring something new.

To the point, a comment i had was-

Its a big shake down in armatown and the locals are at the town hall chins a'grasp.

A game thats based on being current and real as possible, then starts to take libertys on what will and wont be around in 20 years, i get a bit worried and concerned how far it can go, they're writing their own script now.

Again, could be great, but special concerns, its a long way to go and from the other side of town

So thats where the uproar comes from IMO, and let it, and encourage people complaining with a bit of proactiveness like saying with some maturity it had been covered and point them at a link or two to see what they think instead of Get over it. OMG YAWN. OMG THIS OMG THAT, THREAD LOCKED.

When a game like arma, a great and realistic experience as a whole is saying its going to invent its own futuristic realism, that is like i said a long way for a kid from the otherside of town to go for one, but it could work out, who cares on the denotations, the general feel is ArmA = great realistic experience, Worry now = Will it now have more gamey features to mess with gameplay and call it "futureness"

Aliens, the film, to me is a great future representation of a bit of grity realism with the fantasy and it works, if ArmA keeps the grit and as a whole give us ways where it isnt too far fetched then i dont think anyone will care. But right now its a game studio on their third incarnation, possibly wanting to expand its playerbase (more % of dummys) and its in the future.

Its a big shake down in armatown and the locals are at the town hall chins a'grasp.
IE its a big step and people are voicing concerns, some a bit rabidly, but just start fireing links instead of internety hate. Edited by Valiant 1-4

Well, it doesn´t have mechs, laser\phew-phew weapons nor cloak devices, then Im ok.

Well, it doesn´t have mechs, laser\phew-phew weapons nor cloak devices, then Im ok.

I wouldn't mind having these! thats the beauty of arma. If you dont like the US having SCARs then dont let them use it or if you dont like the new chooper dont put it down! With arma you can create the game you want.

Gentlemen... Battlefield 2 was released in 2005. It was set in 2007. The equipment was the same as then and nobody complained. I mean, Arma 3 isn't going to be set a mere 2 years ahead, but let's give BIS the benefit of a doubt, hmm?

As long as BIS keep the game in the Military SIM area I dont care what weapons/tanks etc they have in it.

Corrected it for you ;)

SIM can be really anything, from life SIM (like The Sims) to sport SIM. So it would be okay if ARMA4 was a tennis SIM.

Now, IMO, the OP is totally right. ARMA3 is futuristic, neither realistic nor unrealistic, because we (well, AFAIK at least me) cannot see into the future. Some things are probable, some are not. It's not even possible to claim that the phisics are realistic (well, they are for todays standards, and maybe the laws will be the same, but how they are applied to the world may change).

Let's say, I cannot see into the future, so I don't know if the magnetic poles will change in the next years (they change from time to time). This would make some difference in the game. What about solar storms or any other event of this kind?

But the game is still very plausible, and we will make through it.

I guess I don't like the future itself :p So playing in future environments and settings doesn't attract me :D I might change my mind when the future becomes past. :) I like the past.

The whole realistic, unrealistic argument is a bit childish. ARMA 2 was lacking things that the community wanted, Mods came out to rectify this. The ARMA series is like Lego, if you remember on the manuals you got/get alternate things you can create this is the same with this series.

We are currently arguing over the foundation of a house of which we have only seen a sketch.

If BIS comes through on sayings of past mod support then their should be no problems.

My opinion in any case

It may be realistic or unrealistic in terms of graphics or physics, but I am talking about the content of the game.

No, it can't. How do you know that the laws of physics won't change in 20 years?

So, basically you are saying: "Stop complaining that it is unrealistic and start complaining that it is futuristic."? How does that change anything? Pointless thread IMO.

If you don't like it being futuristic, then tough luck, because you're always moving into the future. The future is tomorrow, next week, next year, or even decades from today.

LOL, thanks for letting us know. I'll watch out. I actually thought that we are going to the past.

I suggest this thread to be closed and after 20 years we can reopen it and decide if Arma 3 was realistic or not.

No, it can't. How do you know that the laws of physics won't change in 20 years?

So, basically you are saying: "Stop complaining that it is unrealistic and start complaining that it is futuristic."? How does that change anything? Pointless thread IMO.

LOL, thanks for letting us know. I'll watch out. I actually thought that we are going to the past.

I suggest this thread to be closed and after 20 years we can reopen it and decide if Arma 3 was realistic or not.

Arma III takes place 10 years from now, and there is no realistic way that the laws of physics could change in that time span.

The OP of this thread is pointing out the difference between futuristic and realistic. The stubborn and ever pugnacious BIS community just chose to somehow make an argument out of plain facts.

I think it is really stupid to post stupid shit like that, stop doing that.

Physical relationships have been the same for the last 10billion years, you think they are going to change in the next 20 years?

So that mass will push things away? Data does not use the fastest route?

Arma III takes place 10 years from now, and there is no realistic way that the laws of physics could change in that time span.

Should I point you to the first post? Keep in mind: (I'll now use OP's words) "Unless you can see into the future, which I doubt you can, you can't describe the future as being realistic or not. This is also the Armaverse, not the real world." So how can you tell, that there is no realistic way that the laws of physics could change? Changing physics in 10 years isn't unrealistic, it's just futuristic. :icon_cool:

I basically agree with the first post, but that's because he just wrote the obvious. Just trying to point out how weak his arguments are.

....what the blueberry fuck are you all talking about?

How about we just point and laugh at everyone who will think that ArmA3 will be unrealistic since its set in the near future? No more pointless discussions, just laughter. And pointing.

How about we just point and laugh at everyone who will think that ArmA3 will be unrealistic since its set in the near future? No more pointless discussions, just laughter. And pointing.

Like this.. :rofl:

Should I point you to the first post? Keep in mind: (I'll now use OP's words) "Unless you can see into the future, which I doubt you can, you can't describe the future as being realistic or not. This is also the Armaverse, not the real world." So how can you tell, that there is no realistic way that the laws of physics could change? Changing physics in 10 years isn't unrealistic, it's just futuristic. :icon_cool:

I basically agree with the first post, but that's because he just wrote the obvious. Just trying to point out how weak his arguments are.

He was obviously talking about the weapons, vehicles, and gameplay. To argue that the laws of physics could possibly change in the next 20 years, and use that argument to challenge the OP's arguments, you would have to either be extremely stupid, or a troll. Neither of which belongs in this thread.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

....what the blueberry fuck are you all talking about?
I'd like to know the same thing

super graphics? Mi48? Why? Players dream of other things are not implemented in the game: realistic physics, sound, animation, AI (in the game it's awful) :-( I have some concerns that the simulator "ARMA" for the sake of big profits deteriorate! and the next game will already be exclusive for the XBOX

I have an idea that if the next ARMA will be made on the basis of the film "AVATAR" many will squeal with delight! and for the loyal fans of classical game to make a separate powerful editor with a set of maps!

ARMA now uses the engine of real-time strategy (all actions on the plane) of the underground underwater in the house Inside IMPOSSIBLE! It is very distorted and limited gameplay.

a simple example: the enemies in the game you see through walls and trees, and in total darkness!

I hate when a terrorist(mp5) kills Sniper (m107) hiding in the bushes at a distance of 1000 m!

In ARMA used only two tactics are (totally) lie and crawl, or to bypass (even in the desert! And of course completely killed by fire)

super graphics? Mi48? Why? Players dream of other things are not implemented in the game: realistic physics, sound, animation, AI (in the game it's awful) :-( I have some concerns that the simulator "ARMA" for the sake of big profits deteriorate! and the next game will already be exclusive for the XBOX

I have an idea that if the next ARMA will be made on the basis of the film "AVATAR" many will squeal with delight! and for the loyal fans of classical game to make a separate powerful editor with a set of maps!

ARMA now uses the engine of real-time strategy (all actions on the plane) of the underground underwater in the house Inside IMPOSSIBLE! It is very distorted and limited gameplay.

a simple example: the enemies in the game you see through walls and trees, and in total darkness!

I hate when a terrorist(mp5) kills Sniper (m107) hiding in the bushes at a distance of 1000 m!

In ARMA used only two tactics are (totally) lie and crawl, or to bypass (even in the desert! And of course completely killed by fire)

How about being grateful that BIS are making a dedicated PC game without any compromise for consoles? Turn down your enemy's accuracy value if it's hurting your game.

Edited by Daniel

Since we have discussed this to death already several times: Yes. I am just going to point and laugh at you.

:nener:

You suck at ArmA2. :yay:

I also agree . I don't know why people correlate the near future with lack of realism .

+1 for maionaze

I don't understand that as well. War seemed to be the same sense the word was first invented, People still die or get injured, Things get blown up or destroyed. If that still happens in ARMA III then whats the problem? The only thing that change are the weapons and vehicles that get the job done. Unless BIS makes the player some "Rambo Bunny" with eyes that shoot slushies then, "Yea", I see a reason why to say "Its going to lack realism".

If if people still feel that A3 weapons and vehicles are unrealistic, Well there is a reason why this simulator is Moddable.

+ 5 Characters

and then you woke up and had your cornflakes !

Get a grip. You sure that oyu are playing Arma2 ??

How about being grateful that BIS are making a dedicated PC game without any compromise for consoles? Turn down your enemy's accuracy value if it's hurting your game.

on maps with big vegetation (jungle), I see at a distance of 10-20m how much I reduce the accuracy of AI?Do not forget that all the enemies in the forest lie and watch to you, through the bushes and trees, hills it looks like on the total Ambush (hunting for you) :-)

Go to your .ArmA2Profile file in your user profile. Find the line called precisionEnemy and change it to a lower number. Make sure it corresponds to the difficulty you have set, or change it for all difficulties.