Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Control Scheme for Testing?

I was just wondering what kind of controls everyone was using for testing?

I am the only one using mouse and keyboard?

If I didn't turn on auto-trim, I was all over the place, like in some helicopter crash videos I'm seen (so that is probably very realistic).

But I was wondering if was the result of using mouse & keyboard.

It seems like even the ArmA 2 helos are easier to slow down and hover for combat, now. Any chance the tkoh.exe has changed the flight model for ArmA 2 birdies, too?

Yep, i'm using mouse and keyboard. I'm not finding it all that dissimilar to Arma 2 now that i've sorted my collective key binds and found auto-trim. Obviously Auto-trum is a necessity if you don't have rudder pedals, you can only do so much with "bang bang" key control. Although I do find I still have to add some rudder in forward flight, so there's some complexity added.

Ahhhhhh, it's because I need pedals! Thanks for that. I couldn't figure out why I was spinning when I was holding down the left rudder.

What does the "rotor brake" do?

Hotas Cougar with 18cm extension and hall-sensors (the original potentiometers are crap)

23smhbm8xc6.jpg

as rudder pedals i use gas/brake from old logitec racingwheel. works like a charm :)

X52 joystick, throttle and pedals.

All axis sensitivity set to 100% in ToH controllers section. No other special profiles set up outside game. This seems to give pretty good responsiveness except for a slight deadzone at the joystick center. Autotrim not needed with this setup although I tend to end up with the left pedal quite depressed. I've tried using manual-trim but it doesn't seem to make enough of a difference to continue with.

TKOH: Logitech Sidewinder stick where throttle is setup as collective, and CH Pedals, no auto trim.

Arma: Keyboard and mouse, since I'm usually infantry and piloting is not a job.

I have TrackIR, CH Yoke, and CH Twin Throttles, non of which I use for these games.

A good deal of people need to get out of the habit of using a mouse and keyboard for flying.I use a Saitek X-52 and TrackIR 5 but if some of you can't afford a good HOTAS then go buy a $15 joystick with throttle.A mouse is simply no way to do any kind of decent flying.

Edited by WarriorM4

A good deal of people need to get out of the habit of using a mouse and keyboard for flying.I use a Saitek X-52 and TrackIR 5 but if some of you can't afford a good HOTAS then go buy a $15 joystick with throttle.A mouse is simply no way to do any kind of decent flying.
Agreed. (NOTE: Get one with twist rudder) I also use X52pro but waiting for x65 to arrive for testing ;)

For those that do go for a joystick, it will seem awkward at first but its much closer to the real flying experience and will feel better when more used to it.

Its just not physically possible to control the rudder properly with a keyboard as its only ON or OFF.

HIGHLY recommended:

TrackIR (4 or 5) or Freetrack (not as responsive)

Edited by EDcase

prec_pro.gif

I found and installed an old joystick, a Sidewinder Precision Pro. The dam thing is one of the first USB joysticks, over 12 years old! :o

The slider/throttle sucks balls though, as I feel either its on or off, and in that case its easier for me to use Q and Z.

*edit- I now have the slider throttle bound to Analogue thrust and brake, and I have the 'key' working as intended. (1-100% instead of 0, 50, and 100%)

Flying is much smoother, without the keyboard jerkiness.

Landing is harder for me, something I will have to learn.

Ten years of keyboard/mouse flying is difficult to overcome, but I am willing to try for this simulation.

Congrats to BIS for influencing my control device choice with the quality of this community preview. :cool:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

X52 joystick, throttle and pedals.

All axis sensitivity set to 100% in ToH controllers section. .

with 100% i have no smooth and proportional reaction beside the deathzone. It jumps the first degrees of joystick movement like a switch. The actual Arma2 setup of controller configurability isn´t standard like in simulation games.

Edited by JumpingHubert

OK I have Logitec G940 and Freetrack,

Have a little problem, but Im UTFSE so will get back..

So far at first I tried the beta just with the G940, took 5mins to configure and it was awesome I was absolutely loving it!!

Then just tried enabling Freetrack and now it shows both freetrack, G940 and trackir (from the freetrack tir output I suppose) but there is absolutely no registered movement from any of the devices - just utfse'ing now so will see..