Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Auto-Rotation and Blade-Strikes?

Will there be the ability to auto-rotate when the engine fails?

The potential for a "blade strike" is a MUST-HAVE! I want to see torn materials flying through the air at deadly speeds, possibly killing the pilot even when he survives the impact. I also want to see vibration in the air-frame when only some of the rotors have been shorn off.

Will there be the ability to auto-rotate when the engine fails?

Has been doable since OFP...

I second that. I have lost my engine many times in ArmA and walked away to fight another day :D

I seem to remember being able to hold full down cyclic to increase the rotor rpms but whether that is accurate or not, I don't know. In powered flight, the rotor rpm definitely changed with cyclic inputs.

Hmm, I thought this was only introduced in A1?

I distinctly remember discovering this in OFP. Though I remember it being more difficult to pull off.

In ARMA You just cannot put yourself in a REAL auto-rotation, for example put your chopper at 2000 feet and cut the engine to test... And as well as the simple fact that if you pull the collective back up the engine will start...

It will be nice to be able to do a real auto-rotation, with accurate rotor inertia.

Including better tail rotor failure and hydrolyc pan simulation.

Wish this will be done nicely in TKOH.

I always thought you could pull of an auto-rotate IRL at any altitude?

Yes You can, but not in Arma that's what I am saying above ;)

What will be nice to see in TKOH, is also a nice Yaw on the left when loosing engine (or faking), as well as if the pilote is using the pedals to turn during the autorotation it ll be nice to see the heli nose going down...

Edited by ocramweb

In ARMA You just cannot put yourself in a REAL auto-rotation, for example put your chopper at 2000 feet and cut the engine to test... And as well as the simple fact that if you pull the collective back up the engine will start...

Yeah, now try it without fuel, or a destroyed engine. You'll find it works perfectly.

It will be nice to be able to do a real auto-rotation, with accurate rotor inertia.

Including better tail rotor failure and hydrolyc pan simulation.

Yes, it will be nice to have auto rotations to this level of detail.

Autorotation in A2 work a lot better as in FSX and is nearly on par with DCS. The trick is to know your control setup and avoid to go into "brake" range...so NEVER put the throttle full back.

Yeah, now try it without fuel, or a destroyed engine. You'll find it works perfectly.

Yes, it will be nice to have auto rotations to this level of detail.

hmmm, just did, it effectively works with dammaged engine or no fuel, that was not the case in Arma1 from 2000 feets agl, the rotor was stopping and the chopper finished as a falling stone. never tried it from that high since. One point for You

agree Beagle:

But I find the rotor rpm very fake and should not be that forgiving regarding the speed you set yourself during autorotation.

You dont even need to touch your controls, just go have a coffee, come back intime and do your flare, and yeeeahh it works ;)

What I mean is that I find it very Arcade ( in ARMA ). I wont try that IRL !

Hope TKOH will had lot more realism into emergency procedures ;)

Edited by ocramweb

It was possible to autorotate to save your helicopter in Arma 1.

It might not have been a very authentic simulation but it served its purpose.

yes it was, I was saying from 2000 feet AGL, but whatsoever lets talk TKOH here ;)

A chopper without those..will not simulate a chopper.

This is a call for TKOH.

Dynamic rollover (the tendency of heli to roll around one skid) in slop op or even ground.

Ground resonance (usually on fully articulated rotor system,and most of the time on wheeled and skid with damper landing gear system) < occur if the helicopter is allowed to touch down firmly on one side >> the shock is transmitted to the main rotor system, inducing vibration setting up and reasonate to heli self destruction << if rpm available increase power and lift back into hover, if no rpm close throttle and switch off immediatly.

RPM increase, < the more right pedal is needed. (left on clockwise rotor).

Engine failure > gives a sudden yaw to the left. ( right on clockwise rotor).

During Tail Rotor Failure, increase in rpm > should give yaw to the right, and become out of control << if collective increase is applied. (left on clockwise rotor).

Retreating blade stall, (occurring when there is too much forward speed in relation to rotor RPM) > induce loss of lift, vibration, loss of lateral control cyclic with a pitching up of the nose << need to lower collective to reduce the angle of attack, increasing rotor rpm and reducing forward speed.

Vortex ring is when the helo descend vertically at high rate even through power is used... ( can approach 3000 feet per minute) < occurs when high rate of descent with a low airspeed and power on << solved by increasing forward air speed then only when done increase of power

Hydrolic failure > cyclic input becoming harder and harder < usually a landing withing 15 minutes is required

I simulated most of those for myself in Arma 1 with script, it could be done by default in TKOH :bounce3:

I forgot >> landing with the wind in the back, shouldn't be that forgiving...

Edited by ocramweb
backward Wind

I hope all that will be there ... in DCS there is that but as the KA 50 havent tail rotor some features are normally absent.

Don't forget the gearbox destruction when the max torque is applied, when the RPM goes really too much, the centrifugal force become really high ( several tons applied on blade grip ) so a blade can be loose , immediate destruction , loss of tail rotor authority, real engine management ( start up, warming up, cool down , shutdown )

But really, I don't hope anything, this software will be more likeley a good game but to mimic all those features, it would take years and years to create the core engine like they do in DCS Blackshark or X-Plane, their flight models and systems simulations are simply the most advanced nowadays for personnal computers.

A chopper without those..will not simulate a chopper.

This is a call for TKOH.

Dynamic rollover (the tendency of heli to roll around one skid) in slop op or even ground.

Ground resonance (usually on fully articulated rotor system,and most of the time on wheeled and skid with damper landing gear system) < occur if the helicopter is allowed to touch down firmly on one side >> the shock is transmitted to the main rotor system, inducing vibration setting up and reasonate to heli self destruction << if rpm available increase power and lift back into hover, if no rpm close throttle and switch off immediatly.

RPM increase, < the more right pedal is needed. (left on clockwise rotor).

Engine failure > gives a sudden yaw to the left. ( right on clockwise rotor).

During Tail Rotor Failure, increase in rpm > should give yaw to the right, and become out of control << if collective increase is applied. (left on clockwise rotor).

Retreating blade stall, (occurring when there is too much forward speed in relation to rotor RPM) > induce loss of lift, vibration, loss of lateral control cyclic with a pitching up of the nose << need to lower collective to reduce the angle of attack, increasing rotor rpm and reducing forward speed.

Vortex ring is when the helo descend vertically at high rate even through power is used... ( can approach 3000 feet per minute) < occurs when high rate of descent with a low airspeed and power on << solved by increasing forward air speed then only when done increase of power

Hydrolic failure > cyclic input becoming harder and harder < usually a landing withing 15 minutes is required

I simulated most of those for myself in Arma 1 with script, it could be done by default in TKOH :bounce3:

I forgot >> landing with the wind in the back, shouldn't be that forgiving...

Some of these seem to be in already, the blade stall you will get if you switch the engine to idle and don't alter the blade pitch. It can be quite nasty.

No you're wrong ...

Actually the blade stall is when the blade angle ( from the rotation plan ) is too high and , like the wing of the plane , the air cannot follow properly the blade airfoil, generating marginal whirlwind which result in a total lost of lift ..

Nothing to do with idling or shutting down the engine, if you hold the pitch as it is, the RPM will only droop , but in some case it's possible to do autorotation when holding a normal flight positive pitch, high skilled heli pilot are able to do that !