Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Windows 8

I didn't like Vista or Win7, so I skipped them both. I'm forced to use Win7 at work though, and I utterly hate it for lacking XMouse capability - removed from NView (and TweakUI and PowerToys) and registry hacks to re-enable it isn't compatible with software written for Win7 (I have problems in Solidworks and 3ds max when using this hack). It's something I really can't live without.

I saw Win8 in use during easter. I was NOT impressed. To say the least. And we were not able to restore FULL windows start menu compatibility, at least the little we tried it. God how I miss Amiga OS, with some attention to USER functionality (I miss my assigns - and no, subst doesn't fill the gap). The only option seems to be Linux again, but my limited experience with Slackware back in Win95 days kinda scared me away from that. And I'm not getting any younger and more curious on how things work.

Hi, some people that follow the MS progresses told me that the Windows 8 is a weird mix between the Windows 7 and an IPad/IPhone OS presentation included, made thinking more in the yuppies and geek freaks than in the common office worker, home user or programer. Ain't like the Windows 7 over the Windows XP and i doubt that the Windows 8 gonna be any better... MS is not good on the innovation field and neither very friendly with the common user; i won't spect anything good from 'em. Let's C ya

Any word on the performance impact of Windows 8 on the computer? Does it use more CPU/RAM/Video RAM? If I played Arma 2 on a machine running Windows 7 and then on the same machine just running Windows 8, would the FPS change visibly or even drastically?

Installed the consumer preview or whatever it's called at the weekend on a new SSD, mostly liking it, can't get MS office to install for the life of me though, get a 1603 error and googled all over for the answer but can't find one :(

Installed the consumer preview or whatever it's called at the weekend on a new SSD, mostly liking it, can't get MS office to install for the life of me though, get a 1603 error and googled all over for the answer but can't find one :(

Is Aero completely gone? I really like the way the windows look in this screenshot:

xe1nx1.jpg

Although, I think it would do much better without that large, intrusive ribbon, but I believe you can turn those off.

The ribbon rox, and you can just minimize it, no need to keep it expanded all the time.

iirc ive had the same error message with office, think it was a .Net or VC++ redistributable that was missing..

I gave up on 8 for now and went back to 7, a lot of the stuff in 8 seems very nice and I especially like the super fast startup but will wait for a final version before trying again :)

Is Aero completely gone? I really like the way the windows look in this screenshot:

Although, I think it would do much better without that large, intrusive ribbon, but I believe you can turn those off.

[iM]http://i.imgur.com/1ypJT.jpg[/img]

No, Aero still exists, they removed it from the Consumer preview because they wanted more testing done with Metro, and everyone in the Dev Preview disabled Metro because it is trash.

Aero will still be in Windows 8 release, and it is exactly like Windows 7

I like it. It works great and nothing much has changed. at all.

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/5SW58.jpg[/img]

Without the ribbons

Edited by Placebo
add img

Please re-read the forum rules on filesizes.

Aero glass will be removed in final version. Microsoft want to blend the classic windows look with the new, awful Metro one a bit more because they are currently two completely different looking GUIs. In the end they'll just make the regular interface too flat and plain. I like Aero personally but I have no intention of "upgrading" to a tablet optimized OS so I don't really care either way.

I think there is something amiss...

Windows 8 is one of the most profound modification in Microsoft history, and this time it's good in my opinion.

It's simpler, less convoluted, more direct and can do away with the mouse and keyboard.

Now I do work with the computer, and I think Win7 is here to stay in the hearts of many for work-related things.

But I can say that opening the desktop is a breeze.

I even installed some work related apps (embedded compilers mainly) and they worked without a fuss.

I don't see Win8 as such a bad thing, although I don't like the metro style MS is carpeting everything with.

Too much simplicistic, even more than android (and that I don't like that much eighter).

But you get used to it, exactly like you get used to your wife/daughter new hair color you never wished to see ;)

It's simpler, less convoluted, more direct and can do away with the mouse and keyboard.

That doesn't sound like a good selling point.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

That doesn't sound like a good selling point.

That depends on the buyer ;)

Also opposing a tide is a waste of resources: ain't gonna stop.

And besides I kind of like these tablets for casually checking forums and emails after dinner without powering all the real hardware.you can enjoy a show with the family and still have your internet fix during commercials.what's not to like?

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

Edited by erupter

Why do they always want to fix something that isnt really broken...When is this Win 8 suppose to come out?

Why do they always want to fix something that isnt really broken...When is this Win 8 suppose to come out?

What do you think isn't broken?

Mouse input for a tablet is surely broken.

It's slated for the last quarter, between back-to-school and Christmas.

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

Windows 8, most pathetic work by Microsoft in my opinion, the look is astonishingly ugly, gaming in this look totally bad.

Windows 8, most pathetic work by Microsoft in my opinion, the look is astonishingly ugly, gaming in this look totally bad.

dont understand this comment.

As far as gaming its win7 with a tablet front end bolted on - not had any issues yet.

Microsoft introduced their new tablet PC, now I know why they did make win 8

Microsoft Surface: An error occurred ... Windows not responding – video

During the launch of Microsoft's new Surface tablet in Los Angeles on Monday, Windows president Steve Sinofsky, struggles when the device appears to crash. The tablet, running Windows 8, freezes as he tries to demonstrate how the new Internet Explorer allows the user to 'browse smoothly'. Sinofsky swaps the tablet for a working model before continuing the demonstration

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2012/jun/21/microsoft-surface-error-windows-video

Watch him squirm, mmmwwwwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... :cool::confused: If only the backup had failed, it would have been priceless.

Edited by mrcash2009

Well apparently indeed this looks like another case of Me(or Vista),businesses slow adoption and consumers aren't jumping on it too fast either.

Win 8 sales are below expectations and of course M$ blames the hardware makers:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-sales-well-below-projections-plenty-blame-go-around

The good news is that probably Win 9 will set it right.