Sign in to follow this  
steelzor

ARMA 2 Free - Tutorial Mission

I think you guys need to add in some form of quick tutorial system to give new players are run down about how to control everything. The number of people how downloaded and put it into the too hard basket will be big stopping potential purchasers from buying.

Or is there one somewhere I can pass on to my friends to give them some quick reference on how to play.

I setup a server earlier today and taught about 12 newcomers the controls. They had no idea how to chat until I said "To chat, press '/'"

Isn't there a control menu...Just use that for controls you don't know.

There is a PDF manual in the install folder.

X:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 Free

There is a keyboard layout that you can print out.

To be honest, I still don't know how to control units very well in ArmA 2. I know it is contextual and all that, but I miss the original OFP command controls.

(Someone made an addon to bring the old command menu into ArmA 2, but it also introduced something to the game that I didn't want to deal with. Can't remember what.)

To be honest, I still don't know how to control units very well in ArmA 2. I know it is contextual and all that, but I miss the original OFP command controls.

(Someone made an addon to bring the old command menu into ArmA 2, but it also introduced something to the game that I didn't want to deal with. Can't remember what.)

You can't use addons with Arma 2 Free.

Telling people to look up all the controls themselves, or read a pdf manual is not exactly the thing that gets people to stick with a game.

how about someone create the "ARMA 2 Free Tutorial Mission" in the editor with hints that pop up that say what to do and stuff. Then guide them over to a shooting range and all to get them to familiarize with stuff. Also some unarmed OPFOR guys standing somewhere and BLUFOR next to each other to help them distinguish friend and foe (make them invincible just for display purposes)

Telling people to look up all the controls themselves, or read a pdf manual is not exactly the thing that gets people to stick with a game.

What else do you want, someone to come over to your house and show you? :j:

If you're too lazy to read the manual then there is nothing anyone here can do for you.

Making missions in the editor takes a little more effort but until you can be bothered to learn the basics theres really no point going into it other then to mess around with soldiers, weapons and vehicles.

If you want soldiers to stand still so you can look at them put: This disableAI "move" in the box that says "Initialization" when you place them.

If you want vehicles to be empty and not move. double click the map in the editor. Select "EMPTY" at the top under "SIDE" and put what you want.

Even the manuals for Battlefield are required reading your first time out.

I think you guys need to add in some form of quick tutorial system to give new players are run down about how to control everything.

There are tutorial missions: Single player.....Boot camp.

Edited by jblackrupert

Is boot camp available for the ARMA 2 Free Players?

Yes. single player/Bootcamp

It teaches you infrantry, vehicles and other stuff.

There are also tons of missions on http://www.armaholic.com

There are tons of tutorial videos on Youtube.

The official turorial videos on Youtube are linked from the Arma 2 website

http://www.arma2.com [Click on MOVIES]

There are several servers set up for the free players. Use the word "Free" in the MP broswer filter.

You don't have to join just those, so long as the server is not running addons you are able to join those also.

Many of us have installed Arma 2 free so we know what it looks like

and what limitations there are.

Edited by jblackrupert

BIS should re-do those tutorials, something more like the OA ones.

The OA tutorials are much more advance. I hope the newbies take the time to open up the tutorial.

The OA tutorials are much more advance. I hope the newbies take the time to open up the tutorial.
Newbies? I agree they are much improved over the earlier ones. I had played ArmA 2 for month's and the OA Boot Camp taught me several things I never new I could do in Arma 2 !!

Think of it like a filter for future players that will stick with the sim :)

But ... I can agree that A2 tutorials are not as good as the much polished OA ones. But still, there are many ways already mentioned to get used to it.