Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

CTI + DAC hybrid MP mission

To celebrate BIS's generous 10 year gift to us I re-released my best ever OFP effort, a CTI-DAC hybrid mission set on the best OFP map ever (IMO). I've taken the liberty of including everything that the mission needs into one single download rather than link to their non-existent original locations, other than that it's basically as I released it all those years ago.

Unfortunately I cannot findf the original readmes that came with either of these projects, so please excuse their ommission and take it for granted that all possible violations regarding unwanted distribution, should they exist, are mine.

While waiting for the release of ArmA1 me and a few friends got a HELL of a lot of mileage out of this mission, it's busy, entertaining and never the same game twice. It can be used in conjunction with any of the popular total mods that OFP had, I seem to remember getting good results from ECP.

Installation:

Follow the extracted folder's lead. Place the mission into your mpmissions folder, and the addon PBOs into your preferred addons location.

The original readme is as below:

***Original readme***

I've made a very nice CTI mission that uses the very excellent Novajev island, into which I've converted across an MFCTI mission, and also added some DAC scripting also. I must stress right off the bat here that I am not taking any credit AT ALL for any of the excellent scripting done by much more talented people than me, I am very much riding on the shoulders of giants here.

The Novajev island, although using a modified landmass from Nogova, has a totally redone town, road and vegetation layout and is in my opinion the best ever map for OFP. I use it almost exclusively now, it's that good. (I really hope to see it ported over to Armed Assault, that would be perfect.)

I've had to somewhat fiddle around with the conversion, there's more towns for example (from 28 in Nogova to 34 in Novajev) and the spawning positions, flags, triggers etc can only be tweaked as I see problems ingame. I think I've ironed out the vast majority of problems, and now I see a game that is at least as consistent as an official CTI mission.

I've also added some extra touches, at random farmsteads & buildings I've added ammo crates that only have a very small chance of existing (only western ammo though so far), I view them as found resistance caches, luck and observation will find them, they are by no means numerous. Also there's some cars to be found in towns, again randomised and not numerous.

The above gave us (I play in a small group) a very nice game indeed, speaking for myself it's now my favourite CTI mission (I would say that though wouldn't I?) but I added more. One thing I found is that CTI missions tend to become races to the next town, lone wolves can run rampant, because apart from the towns there is no danger at all in moving about.

To combat this I added a DAC script which adds into the mix some random resistance patrols. At first it had several ground troop groups, several unarmoured groups and some armoured groups, but this proved slightly too laggy for the host's machine to cope with, so I rebalanced it to have less troops, more armour, and the performance seems to be OK. Ingame experience ranges from not seeing hardly any resistance patrols, to being inundated with armour backed up with reserves of more armour and ground troops. A very nice change, it's no longer safe to go blasting from town to town.

A nice touch of course is that the eastern side has the same problems, and distant running battles can often be heard.

The mission takes about 30 seconds to a minute to initialise, during which you'll get slowdown, slideshows and an error message about not naming units, just click continue it's of no consequence at this stage. Pretty soon the mission will have fully initialised and things should smooth out.

Hotfile:

http://hotfile.com/dl/121812048/673cd9d/JTD_OFP_CTI_DAC_MPmission_v1.rar.html

Ooh thanks DMarkwick, I'm going to have fun with this playing with Wiineri, gonna try it in our mod!

Regards.

if anyone's going to try this out in multiplayer plz inform me how i can join, please.

Would we have permission to convert this to WGL? Would that even be advisable? Thanks for the mission! You can look for it on the TacOps server, shortly.

edit: Unfortunately, it looks like Novajev causes a problem w/ the islands list (it disappears), so, sadly, I am unable to get this mission to work on the server.

Edited by Anguis

is it too late to say that it looks like this is the mysterious non compatible file that causes problems we all complain about this novajev?

Unfortunately, it looks like Novajev causes a problem w/ the islands list (it disappears), so, sadly, I am unable to get this mission to work on the server.

That is a real shame. We played this mission many, many times in MP but we never played it on a dedicated server, so I cannot think what would cause that. Did you try the mission anyway, either SP or host-MP?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

is it too late to say that it looks like this is the mysterious non compatible file that causes problems we all complain about this novajev?

Do you have any more info on this? Is it Novajev specific?

I haven't tried the mission, yet. I tried again w/ Novajev, in a different mod folder. This time around, it just never showed up in the list. Who knows, maybe I'm running into another mysterious OFP limit. I'll try a few more things. Might end up solving the issue w/ BronzeEagle's 'Nam mission.

I haven't tried the mission, yet. I tried again w/ Novajev, in a different mod folder. This time around, it just never showed up in the list. Who knows, maybe I'm running into another mysterious OFP limit. I'll try a few more things. Might end up solving the issue w/ BronzeEagle's 'Nam mission.

Don't hate me forever, but I like Novajev so much..... that I placed it in the root Addons folder :D

I know I know. But I do have a small, tight group of absolute must-work addons, and there they go. I do not do this for ArmA1 or 2 though.

A few things worth trying: Keep the Uppercase filename "Novajev.pbo" since in the config "\Novajev\novajev.wrp" is referenced. Or alternatively edit the config to use lowercase filepath "\novajev\novajev.wrp". OFP/CWA don't list an island if the engine can't find the WRP belonging to the island class; in the case of linux, which has case sensitive paths, the check probably fails for different cases.

A few things worth trying: Keep the Uppercase filename "Novajev.pbo" since in the config "\Novajev\novajev.wrp" is referenced. Or alternatively edit the config to use lowercase filepath "\novajev\novajev.wrp". OFP/CWA don't list an island if the engine can't find the WRP belonging to the island class; in the case of linux, which has case sensitive paths, the check probably fails for different cases.

Interesting, thank you. The server converts all the file names to lower-case (required for the Linux server), so I'll have to look into the config. This makes me wonder how many other islands may not be showing up in the list, if this is the problem.

Anyone able to run this mission? I get a CTD with a preprocessor error message when it tries to open. I'm using FFUR 2007, 1.96. Although I get the same effect in standard 1.96 and 1.99.

DM, perhaps you can elaborate on how you have it working, as I've already moved the Novajev.pbo into the root addons folder. I was looking forward to playing this mission when re-installing OFP. I think we used to play it using an earlier version of FFUR and some other mods didn't we?

Anyone able to run this mission? I get a CTD with a preprocessor error message when it tries to open. I'm using FFUR 2007, 1.96. Although I get the same effect in standard 1.96 and 1.99.

DM, perhaps you can elaborate on how you have it working, as I've already moved the Novajev.pbo into the root addons folder. I was looking forward to playing this mission when re-installing OFP. I think we used to play it using an earlier version of FFUR and some other mods didn't we?

You need MFCTI 1.16 http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mfcti/mfcti/1.16/MFCTI1.16.zip?r=http%3A%2F%2Fmfcti.sourceforge.net%2FMFCTIDownloads.html&ts=1390787517&use_mirror=iweb

I'm not sure I'd run it with FFUR.

Thanks for the reply & the link, zulu1. I've just spent the last 3 hours playing this mission with FFUR. Eventually the game CTD'd, but that's no worse than I remember it being. DM made several versions for us back in the day, for a wide variety of mods. The UKF version was my personal favourite.

Thanks for the reply & the link, zulu1. I've just spent the last 3 hours playing this mission with FFUR. Eventually the game CTD'd, but that's no worse than I remember it being. DM made several versions for us back in the day, for a wide variety of mods. The UKF version was my personal favourite.

Are you thinking of Kendo's Dynamic missions which also use the DAC engine? I have most of those also.

There were variants which we tested/played on a private server. He used mods such as UKF, CSLA and Swedish Forces instead of the 'standard' OFP Order of Battle. I don't think the original intent was to design a mission for the OFP community, it was just so a few of us from frugalsworld could play co-op OFP missions with some re-spawn. But we wound up having so much fun playing 'DM-CTI' that he decided to release it.

I don't think I ever played those missions by Kendo, but I'll certainly have a go at them if you can post a link ;)

Edited by Outlaw 152

There were variants which we tested/played on a private server. He used mods such as UKF, CSLA and Swedish Forces instead of the 'standard' OFP Order of Battle. I don't think the original intent was to design a mission for the OFP community, it was just so a few of us from frugalsworld could play co-op OFP missions with some re-spawn. But we wound up having so much fun playing 'DM-CTI' that he decided to release it.

I don't think I ever played those missions by Kendo, but I'll certainly have a go at them if you can post a link ;)

Besides 1 or 2 that I could never find this is all of the others.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/q9jws9qlkvlfubf,l3komokrjoen3ej,x63axtqr620mt20,fcwlu8sx05i741e,ybqcy75qnccnw01,vccigg11ya6ez26,vt9o74ko1ndi147,z4wrtflb612n6vb,wyr4brzjbe6lzbs,wo129rgt27ahetd,78w72liz2y54txh,2h468uyhk37jkoh,ed6gkaj1ns7ec4q/shared

These are CTI missions that were made for Multiplayer but you could also play them as Single player.

Multiplayer:

Put mission files in "MPMissions" folder and open the multiplayer window. Then hit the new button to start local host mode. When the list of islands appears select the island Novajev then select mission and pick a slot. The top slot is usually the commander in CTI missions, if you want AI to command pick a lower slot.

BTW you also need this island http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9800

SinglePlayer

Put mission files in the "MIssions" folder and start SnglePlayer and select mission from the list.

Update: I set this up and tried the basic mission and it seems to work OK. Markwick could have done a better job with the DAC integration, but I saw no real issues.

As my old post says you need MFCTI1,16 also, link is still good. http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mfcti/mfcti/1.16/MFCTI1.16.zip?r=http%3A%2F%2Fmfcti.sourceforge.net%2FMFCTIDownloads.html&ts=1390787517&use_mirror=iweb

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, zulu1 said:

These are CTI missions that were made for Multiplayer but you could also play them as Single player.

Multiplayer:

Put mission files in "MPMissions" folder and open the multiplayer window. Then hit the new button to start local host mode. When the list of islands appears select the island Novajev then select mission and pick a slot. The top slot is usually the commander in CTI missions, if you want AI to command pick a lower slot.

BTW you also need this island http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9800

SinglePlayer

Put mission files in the "MIssions" folder and start SnglePlayer and select mission from the list.

Update: I set this up and tried the basic mission and it seems to work OK. Markwick could have done a better job with the DAC integration, but I saw no real issues.

As my old post says you need MFCTI1,16 also, link is still good. http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mfcti/mfcti/1.16/MFCTI1.16.zip?r=http%3A%2F%2Fmfcti.sourceforge.net%2FMFCTIDownloads.html&ts=1390787517&use_mirror=iweb

thank you very much man