Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

CWR² Demo

Yes - I recommend using file formation, stay crouched and hold fire a LOT.

Hold fire? I had no problem getting the team to my sniper fire position, but it was immediately after I killed the 3 Speznaz that about 10 enemy come to get us. Having my squadmates fire at will is the only way to protect ourselves at that juncture. The AI took out several enemy then, as I was RUNNING LIKE HELL to get out of there. But then they got wounded. Are you saying that I should get them to hold fire so that they will follow me better in the midst of all that fire?

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Why the hell do you even need the dumb AI's following you? They will more likely give away your position than help you. Just set them to stop in the beginning and finish the mission on your own. :p

Not a bad idea. I could pick them up once I get back to camp after the shoot, and then we can all get on our bikes and take off.

Has anyone completed Sniper Team with all 3 squad members intact and together at the extraction point?

Yes.

The main challenge was to shoot officers without BMP noticing me as forests are not as dense anymore.

After that I got out with all my guys with ease using forests and map and avoiding everything that moves.

Had to ditch bikes when I've noticed BMP patrolling the road.

Yes.

The main challenge was to shoot officers without BMP noticing me as forests are not as dense anymore.

After that I got out with all my guys with ease using forests and map and avoiding everything that moves.

Had to ditch bikes when I've noticed BMP patrolling the road.

My two guys were wounded by ground soldiers in the wood next to the base from which I made the shoot. It wasn't a matter of using stealth or navigating through forests - several enemy AI came right up to us immediately after I made the shoot. Having my team fire back at them while I hightailed it out of there worked fine, but my squadmates were sacrificed.

I learned the hard way to not use the bikes to get to my shooting point - the bikes alert the BMP. Next time I will totally avoid the BMPs at the center of the island by going around the west side of the big central mountain - that way maybe I can ride the bike all the way to the extraction point.

Huh I think I remember those guys - before I started shooting I've heard a report from one of my guys about enemy infantry not being far.

I used 'hold fire' by default since that's how it is IRL as well so I avoided the patrol by forcing my guys to go prone while I was trying to spot the patrol. It was pretty close - about 50m away but they've passed without seeing us.

I think before shooting I had to "balance" my position - like getting deeper into the forest to avoid being close to that patrol route and yet not too close to the base. Then I've put a tree between me and BMP's turret and fired away.

BMP didn't spot me because I was obscured by the tree while my guys were prone. It's only when we got to the edge of the forest afterwards that shots started incoming - but it was too late since we were far enough.

Yeah, my guys were prone near me at the edge of the wood above the camp. All is cool until I kill the Speznaz. I order the guys to go to crouch, get in a line formation, and to fire at will. They are already in stealth mode. But they always get wounded on the way out, usually by infantry. I always run, and most of the time they get lost (the dreaded "Away" indicator in icon). I hate that. I wish all AI would follow better, and faster. That is one of the biggest problems with A2.

Hold fire? I had no problem getting the team to my sniper fire position, but it was immediately after I killed the 3 Speznaz that about 10 enemy come to get us. Having my squadmates fire at will is the only way to protect ourselves at that juncture. The AI took out several enemy then, as I was RUNNING LIKE HELL to get out of there. But then they got wounded. Are you saying that I should get them to hold fire so that they will follow me better in the midst of all that fire?

I can't really comment more without seeing your playthrough, but I usually shoot down all three Spetznatz in about 20 seconds (if I feel like trusting the AI I'll give them a target too), then I get 'em to hold fire, form file, stay crouched, and immediately hotfoot it north.

Once you break cover from the forest, we usually re-open fire to shoot the roving patrol if it's nearby, and hit the BMP if it's within range, then keep moving north.

It hasn't let me down yet, but, of course, you might be using different AI mods to me. :)

If your AI are on hold fire, they tend to follow better, as far as I've found.

As said above, I do use file formation. I believe that holding fire while still in the forest right after the shoot is problematic as at least two enemy infantry enter the wood at that point and open fire on us. They must be killed to exit the wood intact - it's either them or my two AI. They are hard to kill with the sniper rifle, so I like to team switch to one of the AI guys to use his silenced assault rifle. I will try the HOLD FIRE and see if that helps. But I have never made it back to the camp with all three guys intact. Once I made it back with one of the guys intact, but he was soon killed my a roving squad which I have never encountered while moving alone to the camp or moving alone to the extraction point. Those Friendly AI are WAY more trouble then they are worth. It's a real shame. Playing on Veteran with NO MODS.

I've completed the mission with only 3 spetsnaz guys on my kill list and not friendly casualties so it's doable

I finally completed the scenario with the whole squad intact, but only after having my men wait at the camp while I did the kill. As far as I am concerned, having the men go with you to your sniper position for the kill and getting everyone intact back to the extraction point is a superhuman feat, at least on Veteran with no mods. The reason for that is solely based on the UNBELIEVABLY POOR following capability of the friendly AI. This poor following (whether the AI is in a vehicle or not) is the TOP weakness of A2, and it is hard to understand why BIS hasn't been focusing on that problem like a laser beam since A2 was released. It is a GLARING PROBLEM. :mad:

Also I have seen enemy at the base after the kill target you from 500 meters away through the forest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meaning that they are shooting through the forest at you, and can hit you, even though they cannot see you. Another glaring problem in 1.59. There have been some veg occlusion fixes in 1.60 beta, and I hope they have fixed this problem.

I sure hope such fixes make it into A3! Anyway, congrats again to the CWR2 team for a great scenario!

To make them go fast you need to order them to move to where you want them, not follow you

I remember it's what I was doing.

Even in 'danger' they run fast to the destination, provided there are no enemies in between.

To make them go fast you need to order them to move to where you want them, not follow you

I remember it's what I was doing.

Even in 'danger' they run fast to the destination, provided there are no enemies in between.

I tried that many times, but they kept getting mowed down anyway.

------------------

I restarted, got down to the shoot point with my two men, killed the Speznaz, got back to camp, put the 2 guys on one bike, me on the other, and got away. A tank in the middle of the island spotted us, so we all ditched the bikes and FINALLY all made it to the extraction point on foot. In the other game, I had been playing from a savegame, and unfortunately that game had several enemy guys right on us near the sniper shooting point, so it was very difficult to get my guys out of that wood alive. This time, the enemy patrols were just far away enough from the shooting point that we could make it out of there. Whew. On to the next scenario.

There are SEVERE FPS slowdowns while looking through scope through/at grass. I hope 1.60 reduces those slowdowns substantially. AFAIK, there was a "fix" for that in 1.59,

[78909] Optimized: Improved FPS in some scenes when looking through scope into forest.

but obviously MUCH more of a fix is needed for optimal CWR2 gameplay.

Edited by OMAC

To Celery and other mission devs:

1) There is an error message posted at the start of "Incursion" pertaining to a lack of LAW ammo in the initial loadout when map is displayed.

2) I would STRONGLY suggest that an autosave be added to Incursion after documents are taken.

Hey guys i downloaded this mod about a week ago and i'm having a blast, you have really succeeded in capturing the feel of OFP.

I am eagerly looking forward to the full release of CWR2, keep up the excellent work!

Hello, everyone. OFP/ArmA CWC is my favourite game of the series, and I'm absolutely thrilled about playing the game in ArmA 2's engine. However, I've a problem getting the demo to work. I bought ArmA X via steam and so far have installed only the main game and OA.

Do I need to have the rest of the ArmA2 stuff installed for CWR2 to work? I followed the instructions and installed the demo, the patch and the hotfix into ArmA 2 folder and added the parameter to OA's launch options in steam. When I start the game, the only thing I get is CWR2 being listed in the addons list. Otherwise the game is just regular combined operations. Should I have installed everything into OA's folder? I also tried creating a shortcut of ArmA 2's exe and adding the parameter to it, but the game complains about a wrong version.

Thank you in advance.

You need at least both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead installed so that you can run ARMA 2: Combined Operations. Run each game at least once so that the registries are installed for them, and then Right Click on ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead in Steam, select Properties and then Set Launch Options. Add the following to the box:

-noSplash "-world=Eden" "-mod=@CWR2"

Once added, Right Click ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead in Steam again, and choose Launch ARMA 2: Combined Operations. Now it should run ARMA 2: Combined Operations with CWR2 loaded. Make sure the @CWR2 folder is located inside your ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead install folder.

Edited by Zipper5

I had a feeling it was supposed to go into Operation Arrowhead folder and not the ArmA 2 folder like the readme instructed. Much obliged, good sir!

hi.

Bottom line?

with exceptions, there is no difference btwn steam and cd versions of the games. and Cwr2 is not sensitive to them anyway.

it's a little difficult to follow what you do and don't have installed. Essentially you need arma2 AND Operation Arrowhead OR

you need a copy of so called 'Combined Operations'

as for your 'wrong version' with a shortcut to Arma2, that would be corrrect. you need and can only use OA.exe (arrowhead)

My best guess is that you have installed the missions in the wrong folder, specifically, arma2.exe\missions and so on.

they (and all other missions from anywhere) MUST be in Arrowhead.exe\missions (or CombinedOps.exe\missions)

enjoy

Edited by Mikero

I thought I described clearly enough what I had done, but I suppose that wasn't the case. Anyhoo, I had indeed installed the mod into the wrong place. Your readme file just said "To install the mod, extract the folder(s) in the archive into your ARMA 2 folder." which had me extract the stuff in ArmA 2 folder instead of Operation Arrowhead folder.

In any case, the mod works fabulously now that I extracted the files into the operation arrowhead folder. I'm quite loving it, excellent work!

The ArmA2 installation folder is correct because to have Combined Operations you install ArmA2 first, and then OA into the same folder where ArmA2 is - hence the instruction to install into the ArmA2 install folder.

Unfortunately, for Steam users the situation is slightly different. :(

As I don't have Steam, it's a bit tricky to write detailed install instructions for something you don't have.

Glad you were finally able to install the Mod though. :)

Simple solution:

In "arma2 operation arrowhead" folder there is a file called "_runA2CO.cmd" used by Steam to launch CO. Make backup copy (just in case), find line

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

make it

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca;@CWR2" -nosplash

you may add other addons of choise this way

Simplier solution:

Copy entire "addons" folder from ArmA2 to arrowhead folder and use any mod manager to launch OA with CWR2. Will work for SP, not sure about MP though.

Edited by boota

Simple solution:

In "arma2 operation arrowhead" folder there is a file called "_runA2CO.cmd" used by Steam to launch CO. Make backup copy (just in case), find line

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

make it

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca;@CWR2" -nosplash

you may add other addons of choise this way

Simplier solution:

Copy entire "addons" folder from ArmA2 to arrowhead folder and use any mod manager to launch OA with CWR2. Will work for SP, not sure about MP though.

There's no need to do this. When launching the game trough Steam with Launch ArmA2: Combined Operations, the launcher will pick up additional switches from the "Properties => General => Set Launch Options" box.

Webmaster failed at his job and I had no chance to talk with him yet. :)

Webmaster failed at his job and I had no chance to talk with him yet. :)

Webmaster was away for few days. Server support forgot to restart mysql. Should be working now.