Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

CWR² Demo

This happened earlier. Once the BMP is dead, I get a "x,y follow 1", the leader runs up towards a fountain in the middle of, ahem, Montignac, and then stands there doing nothing.. After five minutes or so a lone OPFOR passed by and was immediately gunned down by a broadside of wedge-formation (actually quite hillarious :)) but that was it. I guess some OPFOR got stuck somewhere.

I had the same.

In my case I had MG hiding in the grass. Either it's a mission maker's fault or AA2's AI's fault which won't just rush into the battle when alone, preferring to hide instead

Hey guys, just popped by to congratulate you on this awesome release, I played some today and I'm very impressed. It's really a pity that I won't be able to join you today or tomorrow night online, I'm out of town... Would love to play some good old OFP. Except it's new and more like awesome than good.

The markings on vehicles and helicopters in the original OFP are of heavy units, such as the 3rd Infantry Division, which formed the vast majority of US forces based in Europe. Only a single airborne infantry battalion was stationed in northern Italy at the time. The light forces of the RDF were slated for deployment in secondary theaters, such as the middle east, as they lacked the organic combat power required to hold their own against a Soviet mechanised onslaught. Therefore it is likely that mechanised infantry units are employed in a dismounted role in the Malden island chain unpleasantness.

This would plausibly explain why the squads have an organic medium machinegun. The various light infantry units had medium machineguns at platoon (2-3 depending on type of unit) level at the time that could be attached to individual squads and one should not underestimate the scrounging abilities of a NCO corps that felt the need for an organic MG in light infantry squads. Additional weapons could be acquired by stripping them off support vehicles that had medium machineguns for air defence/local defence purposes. A precedent existed in both WWII and Korea when US units hoarded additional automatic rifles to boost the firepower of squads beyond the original allotment, a situation eventually formalised.

Some reading on squad sizes and armament in the Cold War era:

Enhancing combat effectiveness, the evolution of the United States Army infantry squad since the end of World War II

Evolution of the US Army infantry squad; where do we go from here? Determining the optimum infantry squad organisation for the future

The 9 man squad adopted in J-series Army of Excellence TOE, with 2 riflemen cut from the previous set up.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-7/Ch2.htm

The 11 man squad in H-series TOE.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-7/Appa.htm

Light infantry platoon organisation in Army of Excellence TOE.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-8/appa.htm

Regards,

Sander

All of the songs from OFP are in this demo.

yeah all songs of the campain are original. but i did a remake of the original main theme ;)

It's true -you can't fake that 80's music

so i ported the 80´s to 2011 :bounce3:

http://cwr.armedzone.com/files/ofp-main-rmx-10th.mp3

cwr2 demo is real great , brought back memories in a better engine of arma2 ;)

Definatly, i was playing some MP last night and the overall feeling of the coops was just great and had more immersion than i had in all official releases for A2.

Oh BIS i wish you would rather do another Coldwar game instead of the Futuristic A3 :(

Oh BIS i wish you would rather do another Coldwar game instead of the Futuristic A3 :(

i hope its not too difficult to implement the A3 features to CWR2 in the future.

i hope its not too difficult to implement the A3 features to CWR2 in the future.

The issue isn't usually "features", it's the completely remodeling/retexturing required on the engine change.

CWR2 was out on ArmA 1 as well

yeah all songs of the campain are original. but i did a remake of the original main theme ;)

so i ported the 80´s to 2011 :bounce3:

http://cwr.armedzone.com/files/ofp-main-rmx-10th.mp3

Dear themaster303,

Please do a remake of Slow Blades. Add extra levels of awesome.

Kind regards,

CMcD.

The markings on vehicles and helicopters in the original OFP are of heavy units, such as the 3rd Infantry Division, which formed the vast majority of US forces based in Europe. Only a single airborne infantry battalion was stationed in northern Italy at the time. The light forces of the RDF were slated for deployment in secondary theaters, such as the middle east, as they lacked the organic combat power required to hold their own against a Soviet mechanised onslaught. Therefore it is likely that mechanised infantry units are employed in a dismounted role in the Malden island chain unpleasantness.

This would plausibly explain why the squads have an organic medium machinegun. The various light infantry units had medium machineguns at platoon (2-3 depending on type of unit) level at the time that could be attached to individual squads and one should not underestimate the scrounging abilities of a NCO corps that felt the need for an organic MG in light infantry squads. Additional weapons could be acquired by stripping them off support vehicles that had medium machineguns for air defence/local defence purposes. A precedent existed in both WWII and Korea when US units hoarded additional automatic rifles to boost the firepower of squads beyond the original allotment, a situation eventually formalised.

Some reading on squad sizes and armament in the Cold War era:

Enhancing combat effectiveness, the evolution of the United States Army infantry squad since the end of World War II

Evolution of the US Army infantry squad; where do we go from here? Determining the optimum infantry squad organisation for the future

The 9 man squad adopted in J-series Army of Excellence TOE, with 2 riflemen cut from the previous set up.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-7/Ch2.htm

The 11 man squad in H-series TOE.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-7/Appa.htm

Light infantry platoon organisation in Army of Excellence TOE.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-8/appa.htm

Regards,

Sander

You're a genius! This helps a lot, thanks! :)

It's been six or seven years since I played the CWC campaign so perhaps I've developed a rose-tinted view of the game, and forgotten the dodgy parts like that. Now I kind of feel bad for pointing out one of the dear old girl's faults :D

OFP was always somewhat rough around the edges, that was part of it's charm. :D

I played through the "campaign" up to Montignac Must Fall, and gosh, it brought back some good memories. Especially because I was running all the improvement addons I've got - made the AI especially lifelike.

There is a big issue with BMP-1

Looks like AI can't aim precisely at it / shells pass right through BMP-1 without dealing any damage.

Encountered in two missions thus far. Heavy Metal - it took my and other tanks about 15 shells to put the BMP-1 down as shells were exploding behind it, dealing no damage and the aim rhombus was chaotically appearing and disappearing as if AI was losing aim every half of a second.

Battlefields - M1A1 fired several shells at BMP-1, soldiers fired 10 LAW projectiles at it and it got no damage at all. It looked like projectiles just pass through/behind its cannon.

Suggestion on how to improve Battlefields

When it starts soldiers go into a danger mode which takes them a very long time to get to a waypoint - better set it to default (aware) and let AI handle it upon engagement. Also create several tank waypoints leading to the defences and synchronize them to rectangular triggers so tanks and infantry will move together.

Because right now tanks just rush there and get destroyed nearly instantly by being pounded by rockets.

New hotfix added, see first post for the download link.

Changelog

FIXED - Editor groups causing CTD

FIXED - Lock-on with Hellfires etc enabled

CHNGD - Ammunition count M68 105mm cannon changed

The BMP-1 has some serious problems, we're on it. If anyone is interested in testing the fixes we did so far, PM me and I provide you the download link asap.

Edited by W0lle

@Fingolfin

From FM 7-8 (fairly sure it is from Dec 1980 but the cover was lost/torn off quite some time ago so I can't be 100% sure)

Rifle Squad

Squad Leader

2x Team Leaders (Rifles)

3x Rifles

1x Rifle/Dragon

2x Grenade Launchers

2x Automatic Rifles (book shows them with weapon slung over shoulder so I think they are M16s. The book makes no mention of the SAW but does have the M60)

Rifle Platoon

3x Rifle Squads

9 Man Platoon HQ consisting of:

Platoon Leader

Platoon Sergeant

RATELO

2x MG Crews (Gunner, Assistant Gunner, Ammo Bearer)

@CWR Mod Team

Thanks guys and great work!

Wow, thanks to all the team members! It's hard to describe how grateful I am.

Bravo gents! Bravo!

This is so well done. Man I had goose bumps the whole time. The memories. And, seems this is how I choose to remember OpF (graphics wise) its like I never left :p

Was Steal the Car always in Lamentin though? Wasn't it in La Trinite?

Just wondering is all, not complaining.

Malden is not ready so the mission takes place on Everon.

o_0 Man I just remembered La Trinite is on Malden lol.

'sigh' don't mind me dear.

Yes Steal the car takes place in La Trinite originally. But I quickly converted it from my "Steal the car in Chernarus" Series because I thought that this mission is a must have. :)

Anyone getting stuck due to ACE armor values? Im on the Near Montignac mission and it seems unbeatable as my squad gets eaten up by that roving BMP.

Man it's pretty tho with Ace and WarFx ( with Ace Ball tracers -best tracer combo imho)

Edit: NM. As if on cue, my AT took him out right away after reporting :p

Edited by froggyluv

I don't have OA yet and when I installed CWR Demo I'm getting a lot of error messages - missing files, textures, cant see missions, western units etc.So, do I need OA for this ?

Edited by Sudayev

The Demo runs perfectly for me, no problems. Works great with ACE ;) (mostly).

Quality piece of work, the Islands are really beautiful! Nicely done!

Edit: Love the 80's atmosphere, remeinds me of playing "war" as a kid.

Quick query before I spam your bugtracker with more tickets:

- Are you taking feature tickets as well, or just bugs?