soul_assassin

M109A6 Paladin v1.1 (UPDATED)

Aren't these offsets available from the world config so it can be accounted for? Reversed northing should also be possible to obtain I guess, but the problem there tend to be user confusion.

For things like CWR, I would prefer an additional gridfix.pbo that I could use when not doing the campaign, as the campaign has many references (including voiced) using the letter format.

It handles reverse northings fine.

I could handle non-standard offsets probably, but the whole thing gets overly complex fast.

There is NOTHING I can do about people who do not put in grids that are not powers of 10 or use letters.

Tested and loved it, still have to work out how to operate it but thats the fun part! Thanks to you all for making this possible for us Arma2 nutballs.

A little article on our website: @ Battlegroup-=XTRA=-

:yay: Thanks, Your awesome! :yay:

Tested and loved it, still have to work out how to operate it but thats the fun part! Thanks to you all for making this possible for us Arma2 nutballs.

A little article on our website: @ Battlegroup-=XTRA=-

:yay: Thanks, Your awesome! :yay:

thnx :) and thanx to all for the kind feedback. Makes all the hard times worth it :cool:

Can't do much if map makers don't follow a set standard like takistan. Suggest you make a patch or push for authors of the map to use the proper grid systems.

If users really request it... we could patch with this addon, but its not really viable.

Its not map makers fault! I may self had this problem with the ShackTac fthud. Then they started making updates with new islands configs in the

addons configs so that the fthud would work. What you will need is all the addon makers IF they want it to work on there island is give you the cord settings

I think corner to corner and center something like that. You can always ask the ShackTac guys on how they did it so you could Maybe add a config

for it to work on modded islands. Just a thought... :p

Its not map makers fault! I may self had this problem with the ShackTac fthud. Then they started making updates with new islands configs in the addons configs so that the fthud would work.

I think you got that backwards.

Fthud used workarounds for these maps. That puts the effort of creating and maintaining workarounds for all the maps in existence - something they still don't seem to be doing, as it's given me warnings often enough (and I can't blame them.) - on them.

Here you are in effect saying that SNR should do a similar herculean effort just because some map makers can't bother to do things right. Just because SNR is actually here to complain at, as opposed to searching for the multiple mapmakers who made the problem to begin with.

----

On another note,

Is there a way of getting the grid parameters from the current map without maintaining a maps database?

Edited by MaHuJa_

MaHuJa .. please do read when I said "Just a thought". I am not bothered either way, I was just merely pointing out that it could be an option like they did it.

And backwards whatever, I wasnt sure how its done or whatnot, I am only saying.

It's not their issue to fix. Map makers need to get their shit together and standardise their stuff.

Really? It would be cool if someone would tell us *what* to fix. I get one example, incorporate it and then it even doesn't work... make a wiki or a topic what needs to be done and I'll update my maps.

Really? It would be cool if someone would tell us *what* to fix. I get one example, incorporate it and then it even doesn't work... make a wiki or a topic what needs to be done and I'll update my maps.

It is pretty easy Ice.

Here is an example, the only value you will ever have to change, EVER, for any map is the offsetY value to the height of the map in meters (that is the dimension of the map, for example below of Panthera, which is 10240 meters tall x 10240 meters wide).

class Grid : Grid {
offsetY = 10240;
offsetX = 0;

class Zoom1 {
	zoomMax = 0.00001;
	format = "XY";
	formatX = "00000";
	formatY = "00000";
	stepX = 1;
	stepY = -1;
};
class Zoom2 {
	zoomMax = 0.0001;
	format = "XY";
	formatX = "0000";
	formatY = "0000";
	stepX = 10;
	stepY = -10;
};
class Zoom3 {
	zoomMax = 0.5;
	format = "XY";
	formatX = "000";
	formatY = "000";
	stepX = 100;
	stepY = -100;
};
class Zoom4 {
	zoomMax = 1;
	format = "XY";
	formatX = "00";
	formatY = "00";
	stepX = 1000;
	stepY = -1000;
};
};

The only other value you might want to adjust is the zoomMax for Zoom3. That can be tweaked for when the 6 digits come into view, based on the size of the map (adjust to what you feel is comfortable, though personally id prefer if you made it less than 0.01 so that 4 digit grids is all you get ;) ).

This example, btw will give 10 meter grid refs in AI reporting and the GPS. If you want to not do 10 digits, then remove Zoom1 and shift everything down one zoom level. :)

Is there a way of getting the grid parameters from the current map without maintaining a maps database?

Something like this?

_lookup = configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "grid" >> "Zoom1" >> "zoommax";

_value = if(isNumber _lookup) then {getNumber _lookup};

But, I expect both ShackTac team and these guys to be fully aware of this, so there must be something else preventing it from working. For lettered grids such as those used in CWR2, everything I think of ends up just weird. They're often at 2km/200m grid sizes, how do you introduce a more accurate aiming system into that? Ab3 678? Abc 678? Just... Weird...

Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but two functions I did for 6 and 8 digit grids for my own (scripted) artillery system goes like this:

Xf_ToGrid8 = {
private ["_pos","_posx","_posy","_array","_tmp","_str"];
_pos = _this;
_str = format ["%1",mapGridPosition _pos];
_posx = toArray format ["%1", round (((_pos select 0) % 100) / 11)] select 0;
_posy = toArray format ["%1", round (((_pos select 1) % 100) / 11)] select 0;
_array = toArray _str;
_tmp = [];
{_tmp set [count _tmp, _x]} forEach [_array select 0, _array select 1, _array select 2, _posx, _array select 3, _array select 4, _array select 5, _posy];
_str = toString _tmp;
_tmp = nil;
_posx = nil;
_posy = nil;
_str
};
Xf_GridStringToPosition = {
private ["_input","_res","_exit","_tocheck"];
_input = _this select 0;
_res = [];
if !(typeName _input in ["STRING"]) exitWith {_res = "Bad grid data due to code error!"; _res};
if (count toArray _input != 6 && count toArray _input != 8) exitWith {_res = "Bad grid data"; _res};
_exit = false;
for "_i" from 0 to (count toArray _input) - 1 do {
	_tocheck = (toArray _input) select _i;
	if !(_tocheck in [48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57]) exitWith {_exit = true};
};
if (_exit) exitWith {_res = "Bad grid data"; _res};
if (count toArray _input == 6) then {
	_res = [
		10000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 0]) +
		1000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 1]) +
		100 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 2]) + 50,
		10000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 3]) +
		1000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 4]) +
		100 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 5]) + 50
	];
} else {
	_res = [
		10000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 0]) +
		1000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 1]) +
		100 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 2]) +
		10 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 3]) + 5,
		10000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 4]) +
		1000 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 5]) +
		100 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 6]) +
		10 * (parseNumber toString [toArray _input select 7]) + 5
	];
};
_res
};

Seeing some potential for optimizing and compiler macros here though :p Maybe it's equal to what is already there, or wouldn't make a difference. I haven't read up much on the code in this addon yet.

Are the grids in CWR that way for nostalgia? If so thats not very useful nostalgia... If they have it because old missions require it, surely they can change old missions?

If its done because they don't know how to fix it, that is inexcusable.

The grids on the CWR2 islands are the way they are because CWR2 IS OFP - in every way possible...

As someone else noted - there are many original voice samples... note - original voice samples - as in - full permission from the Powers Above original voice samples, which are intrinsic to people's memories of the original OFP Experience, and they need to match the grid coordinate system in use - in OFP - at that time...

So I think it's kinda unfair to single CWR2 islands out for complaint, just because they don't work with some particular modern-era addon... All the addons you need for CWR2 come with CWR2... consider the fact that you can use the terrains outwith the mod as a bonus.....

B

Just because SNR is actually here to complain at, as opposed to searching for the multiple mapmakers who made the problem to begin with.

It's not their fault. They use what BIS give them. Many islands started their life in Chernarus (or even before in some cases), based on those configs. Hell, even getting people to realize that Chernarus and Utes even had something wrong with them was problematic; people claimed bugs when AI reported "wrong grids" when this is unavoidable with reversed northing.

I've also asked BIS to fix this for Chernarus and Utes, but maybe it is like for CWR2 - campaign uses hard coded data/voice that is impossible to change at this point. In the mean time, I've fixed these grid refs for myself, but I have to take it out of my system when playing with others so we speak the same grid language.

See this ticket. Lol, still only have 6 votes, so I guess it's completely unimportant...

For the old CWR2 islands I only see two possibilities: A pbo to be used with the campaign to keep the letter system, or a pbo to be used without the campaign to get new coordinates. If I want to play campaign (and it bothers me), I just activate or deactivate one pbo. And make a note of it in the readme how this optional pbo works. The campaign text can be easily fixed to support new grids, but not the samples. So my vote goes to having verbal and textual grid refs not in sync by default, which can be fixed by using the additional pbo. Hmm... Or do you need an additional addon for this to work? Not sure.

For other islands using letters, they should be just updated or find themselves not supported. I haven't played a single addon island that uses letter grids, so I don't think they are numerous.

Carl is certainly correct... the Cherno & Utes configs had no offset values set - a fault remedied by the Arrowhead/Takistan stage...

Most early islands / tutorials were based on Utes, so of course they were accepted as the "BIS standard" and thus that problem spread...

Nowadays, with the advent of OA - Afghanistan maps are all the rage and Takistan is the basic model copied by everybody - it's the new "Official BIS Standard" to which most new mapmakers seem to conform, or at least copy...

A quick glance at Icebreaker's Lingor, for example, shows that Ice has conformed to "the standard" in every way...

Lingor grid

class Grid: Grid

{

offsetX = 0;

offsetY = 10240;

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax = 0.15;

format = "XY";

formatX = "000";

formatY = "000";

stepX = 100;

stepY = -100;

};

class Zoom2

{

zoomMax = 0.85;

format = "XY";

formatX = "00";

formatY = "00";

stepX = 1000;

stepY = -1000;

};

class Zoom3

{

zoomMax = 1e+030.0;

format = "XY";

formatX = "0";

formatY = "0";

stepX = 10000;

stepY = -10000;

};

};

Takistan grid

class Grid: Grid

{

offsetX = 0;

offsetY = 12800;

class Zoom1

{

zoomMax = 0.15;

format = "XY";

formatX = "000";

formatY = "000";

stepX = 100;

stepY = -100;

};

class Zoom2

{

zoomMax = 0.85;

format = "XY";

formatX = "00";

formatY = "00";

stepX = 1000;

stepY = -1000;

};

class Zoom3

{

zoomMax = 1e+030.0;

format = "XY";

formatX = "0";

formatY = "0";

stepX = 10000;

stepY = -10000;

};

};

... so if someone's having an issue with Lingor I'm guessing it's not related to the grid system...

The "Standard Grid System" posted a few posts back, on the other hand, is slightly different from Takistan - with that 4-stage zoom system...

Which BIS island did that come from? - I haven't had time to check them all...

As far as the alternate/additional grid addon for CWR2 is concerned... well, it certainly sounds as if it might be feasible... can I suggest that you actually suggest it over on our own thread, or even as a feature suggestion on our bugtracker... we're always open to suggestions... Someone Clever (not me) will take a look at the idea, and when our Glorious Leader returns from holiday, it'll be part of the avalanche awaiting his attention...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Like I said, there is no problem with maps like Chernarus out of the box... It is when they are using pre-arma2 configs that is when we have problems, or configs that contain wild values.

Also, it is not a BIS standard, these Takistan grids. It is MGRS. It is how military maps are designated in real life (minus some things like zone designators).

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

The "Standard Grid System" posted a few posts back, on the other hand, is slightly different from Takistan - with that 4-stage zoom system...

Which BIS island did that come from? - I haven't had time to check them all...

Didn't come from any one island, it is the patch we use for Panthera at UO. It has a higher level of grid accuracy when using the mapGridPosition function.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Also, the only two A2 maps with letter grids ive seen are spritz and tropica. They have 200x200m grids with eastings in letters.

Also, the only two A2 maps with letter grids ive seen are spritz and tropica. They have 200x200m grids with eastings in letters.

Yep, when i've some time i'll probably release an update to fix this on Spritz Island. In the meanwhile i'm searching for some time to dedicate to CWR2.

Best

Speaking about Tropica

We are doing tests with M109A6 on a test version.

I am working on a Tropica v0.9 beta version featuring 3 digits coordinates.

It will be released soon.

I will add that a Sbrodj 1.4 is also being tested, as is a Brik2 totally rebuild Brik terrain.

All these versions are featuring a 3 digits coordinates system ... as is upcoming Tigeria tropical map ...

Edited by Old Bear

hey SA, I have a Question, ( Yes ,we have read the Manual ,and looked at a few videos) :)

but i seem to have an issue with the turret laying in the opposite direction of its intended target, can't explain it, but we have tried the grid coords both ways and no joy, we have had to manually lay on the targets.. any feed back would be helpful...

Edited by F2F_BHO
typo

you have to be more specific, distance to target, what round, which map, which solution. The coordinates are first horizontal then vertical.

Can anyone let me know the animation scripts for driver lock, stow gun etc please?..

so i can use them for playmove and switchmove anims

Need them for a video im working on..

thanks

Not sure, it has happened several times on Taki, double checking Coords then layed the Barrel, and the turret traverses almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction, it is not an issue all the time, maybe we are doing something wrong, but we have read all of the manual and watched several vids, so i am pretty sure we are doing the Grids right..

Solutions: all(from what we have gathered)

Rounds HE, WP, DPCIM

MAX dist to Target: 7-8 k

Maps: Taki, And WGL Palms

Edited by F2F_BHO
added requested info

Whenever it does happen again, at least on takistan, make sure to note all the info from the fcs - a screenshot will do fine. Follow with an overhead screenshot showing the compass, paladin turret as it's pointing and where you expected it to point.

(If I sound like a developer for this mod, I'm not.)

There's one issue I'm aware of , though, and that's when the shot would have to cross the 0 lines - like if you're shooting at 999100.

Nice!

Hopefully this week we will have another bug fix/featurish patch. No AI stuff yet, but I fixed the copperhead rounds ballistics tables and I added the M741 RAAMS FASCAM round.