soul_assassin

M109A6 Paladin v1.1 (UPDATED)

Not at the moment no, but I would like to add it with the AI module, so AI guns would follow your lead gun.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hai guys. Ive been testing this beast out and trying to learn how to become accurate with it. However atm i seem to have some problems. In Zargabad being at the very bottom of the map im trying to fire HE at the top of the map. I enter the coords plus the height given on the map, but im always short entering the height from the map.

Does the height of the ground have to be calculated somehow or should it be enough with the height data on the map? Ive read the manual and from what i can see the height from the map should be good. Im sure im doing something stupid. Just wish i knew what. :)

Cheers.

You should always look for the closest height indication for your target e.g. your target is at the base of a hill and halfway up there is height but roughly 3-400m away from the base there is a height indication there that more accurately shows the height of your target.

Well I was going to make another video anyway, I decided to do a little scenario like yours, first using 6 digit coordinates, then after adjusting 8 digit coordinates.

HCFbAWb-eUY

Edit: Just noticed I ignored my own height marker :p the hits were nice though, no idea why the tanks remained untouched, perhaps due to them being empty or ACE damage system?

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

;1966929']You should always look for the closest height indication for your target e.g. your target is at the base of a hill and halfway up there is height but roughly 3-400m away from the base there is a height indication there that more accurately shows the height of your target.

Well I was going to make another video anyway' date=' I decided to do a little scenario like yours, first using 6 digit coordinates, then after adjusting 8 digit coordinates.

[YOUTUBE']HCFbAWb-eUY[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Just noticed I ignored my own height marker :p the hits were nice though, no idea why the tanks remained untouched, perhaps due to them being empty or ACE damage system?

when you entered the extra digits you didnt recalculate the solution, just relayed the turret.

Indeed, but those next three hits seemed pretty accurate (still using last coords), first one hitting a tank and the next two either hitting or getting quite close to the last tank, guess I was quite lucky there. :)

I probably should of cleared the last fire mission as well right?

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

I got some criticism about the smoke being too thick originally (see my original video for the 155mm illum rounds).

Nice :) Actually they are a bit on the thick side early in it's life. I figured bigger puffs with good overlap and less frame impact was a better choice than smaller puffs requiring a faster generation rate. When you want a long lifetime (see video) and them growing kinda big, you don't want too many of them. Also tried multiple emitters, but in the end I settled on too big at early life.

But I think it should produce a lot more smoke than a regular M203 flare, considering the amount of light it produces; 1.000.000 lumens/lux (whatever) compared to 25.000-40.000. So it's something to consider if having both systems in, that they kinda play well together.

The burning parts of the flare falling off, that is something I should add probably. It looks cool, forgot that it did that, haha.

Hehe, yeah, that one was more for fun. Loved the visible chute though, I wasn't able to get that through scripting :D

WP does no damage at the moment, purely just smoke. I will probably add damage in ACE since we already have incendiary effects in ACE and I don't want to replicate that whole system.

Ok, but I think it makes WP a bit too convenient as a screening agent if people can walk right through it. On both sides. Then again, there is no way to hide from its effects either if done with a trigger or whatever (no isInside house check :p). HC smoke isn't as good as WP, but it's also a lot safer. Incendiary isn't that important to me, but (invisible) incendiary causing damage is. A tactic I've read about is to first smoke them out using WP and then take them out using HE. I think people expect some damage associated with it though. Both decisions have bad impacts, so, not sure yet.

ADAMs spawns the mines globally, but the triggers for them only exist on the server, and there is only one trigger per shell fired, so there is minimal overhead, and it exists solely on the server machine.

Nice to know. Haven't tried ADAMs yet.

Thanks for the other explanations as well.

Just finished implementing direct lay.

Found and fixed the fuel bug.

Should have mitigated the issues with the duplicate action menu items.

>Should have mitigated the issues with the duplicate action menu items.

May I suggest you do the addaction once on init, using the condition "player in _target" or even "commander _target == player" (and gunner/driver) to hide it when the player is not inside? Thus it will even work when a user spawns inside it at the start of the mission, without forcing him to go outside and back in.

>Should have mitigated the issues with the duplicate action menu items.

May I suggest you do the addaction once on init, using the condition "player in _target" or even "commander _target == player" (and gunner/driver) to hide it when the player is not inside? Thus it will even work when a user spawns inside it at the start of the mission, without forcing him to go outside and back in.

That shouldn't be an issue? Right now it checks after init if the player is in an M109 and if they are then it runs the scripts that run at getIn.

Adding the actions once at init seems like a good idea, but in reality its adding a lot of overhead to the game that doesn't need to be there. It is much better to add them on the getIn event handler and remove them on the getOut handler. :)

So long as it works properly, either way works fine. However, I think the overhead you're afraid of is very overrated, and the action condition is rather foolproof.

When I started as it (player as commander) I got none of the special actions - after 30 seconds I got out and back in, and it worked. So, at least in the released version, something wasn't working right.

One thing to test with your improvement is what happens if you teamswitch to the observer, and the gunner - now AI - gets out while you're watching the fireworks. Switching back and getting back in - duplicate commands. (Granted that this is a singleplayer feature where you intended the release for MP, but still.)

----

The manual doesn't mention that the FCS retains the adjustment data until the CLR button has been used to clear out the current mission. Meaning, that if you merely change target/shell, you retain the adjustment. (This is probably desirable in the usual case.)

This has unfortunate effects when you're changing from a dpicm round for which you've been tightening the splash area, to another shell, like HE.

And use CLR before employing the excalibur. 100m misses by an excalibur makes for excællent joke material.

--I've probably fired more than a few times my yearly wages' worth in shells by now.

So long as it works properly, either way works fine. However, I think the overhead you're afraid of is very overrated, and the action condition is rather foolproof.

When I started as it (player as commander) I got none of the special actions - after 30 seconds I got out and back in, and it worked. So, at least in the released version, something wasn't working right.

One thing to test with your improvement is what happens if you teamswitch to the observer, and the gunner - now AI - gets out while you're watching the fireworks. Switching back and getting back in - duplicate commands. (Granted that this is a singleplayer feature where you intended the release for MP, but still.)

Yea I think I have all the issues sorted out with team switching (its silently breaking a big performance feature and making the fall back code run for it when you do, so thats been changed, i need to push the fix to ACRE and CBA because they have the same issue).

The manual doesn't mention that the FCS retains the adjustment data until the CLR button has been used to clear out the current mission. Meaning, that if you merely change target/shell, you retain the adjustment. (This is probably desirable in the usual case.)

This has unfortunate effects when you're changing from a dpicm round for which you've been tightening the splash area, to another shell, like HE.

And use CLR before employing the excalibur. 100m misses by an excalibur makes for excællent joke material.

--I've probably fired more than a few times my yearly wages' worth in shells by now.

The whole AFCS has had a bunch of tweaks, including the adjustment and clr button.

Now when you make adjustments the cumulative adjustment amount is shown next to each field.

When you press the CLR button after a mission has gotten underway (as in fired rounds) it only resets the solutions, but leaves the grid, altitude and total adjustments alone. Pressing CLR again then clears everything back to its defaults. This lets you handle adjustments better because you can clear after each adjust shot and it will reshow the TTI field and let you actually do the right number of rounds when you get to the fire for effect stage of the mission. :)

Look at where you target is in the map square and if youre zoomed in enough you will see spot heights , try using the nearest spot height and input that as target altitude :)

too difficult to fire, ex: target altitude :(

Really need to learn to read the map to use this mod. :p

Here's an example:

t72elev.jpg

The two nearest elevations to your target are 347 to the north and 334 to the south. There's two elevation changes between the two locations and the target is near the middle of those two, so we'll split the difference.

347 - 334 = 13m difference, divide by 2 is 6.5 meters so add that to 334 and you get 340m elevation. I dropped the 0.5m since it's closer to the lower elevation.

The target is at elevation 340. (Actually, according to ACE'd Dagr that spot is 339m, I was close!)

The real question about accuracy is if the Paladin takes into account things like the North/South grid numbers being backwards in vanilla vs ACE. In vanilla that tank is at 04970722 while in ACE it's at 04979278.

Edited by kylania

The real question about accuracy is if the Paladin takes into account things like the North/South grid numbers being backwards in vanilla vs ACE. In vanilla that tank is at 04970722 while in ACE it's at 04969278.

It does. The only thing it has issues with is when maps are of irregular grids, as in ones that are not in powers of 10 in size, or if one of the corners does not start at 0.

We are including Map Tools V1 into the mod. This should help out a lot as it disables the satellite texture on the map and makes the altitudes MUCH more readable.

Ahh, that's what was happening. I've been playing ACE so much when I loaded up vanilla for this example I was like "why does this map such so very very much!?" :)

I smell... an update...

When will it come, who knows ;).

paladin111.jpg

9c7aQpBU1WA

M109A6 - Version 1.1

Thank you to everybody who has downloaded the mod so far, we hope you have enjoyed it. We tried to release it with no bugs, alas we failed like human beings, so as a present you can now have it with no bugs ;). This is not the final release, we do have a few little plans down the road still to come.

Changelog

• Fixed EXCALIBUR locality issue for ShotRocket
  • Fixed NO FUEL issue
  • Fixed UNLIMITED AMMO bug on gunner control page
  • Changed CLR button usage in FCS (See manual > Page 33)
  • Added manual LAY (Use arrow keys in gunner position) (See manual > Page 33)
  • Added Gunner ability to enable/disable travel lock for the turret
  • Added Maptools V1
  • Added 6400 MIL compass (Optional PBO)
  • Some sound improvements
  • Manual has been updated

Maptools & Compass are automatically turned off when using ACE, so no worries about it overwriting ACE content etc.

Downloads: VERSION 1.1

Havoc Company - http://www.havoc-company.com/downloads/SNR_M109A6_V1.1.rar

SPAFF - http://213.239.206.79/alex/SNR_M109A6_V1.1.rar

RacerIV - http://raceriv.com/arma2/SNR_M109A6_V1.1.rar

Also available on SixUpdater

Edited by rexehuk

Excellent, been awaiting the updated version with sweaty palms. :D

Will this addon be included in this week's expected ACE update by any chance?

Excellent, been awaiting the updated version with sweaty palms. :D

Will this addon be included in this week's expected ACE update by any chance?

No, ACE will not be getting this till we finalize the model and a couple of other things. :) As soon as I am comfortable bringing it in though I'll do it. It might get some functional changes though (more designed to work with the BCS work flow for Artillery play).

Hopefully the way the adjustments are shown in the AFCS reduces some of the headache there. That along with how the CLR button operates should make firing adjustments during a mission much more tolerable.

I might work up a document later tonight on how I would personally operate a battery of these in an MP game for those that are looking for a bit of operational guidance.