soul_assassin

M109A6 Paladin v1.1 (UPDATED)

Agree that a ingame tutorial/training mission for artillery (incl. AI) would be great. So people can try it out and practice a bit before firing on friendly or somewhere else. ;)

This is doable... maybe with the next release with the BIS help functions implemented.

I'll take note of it.

I just wanted to say you guys are Addon Gods. It's when people like you raise the bar of addon making that people can see the true love and joy of A2. I hope addon makers use this addon as an example of how things should be made in this game. Thank you.

Love it love it love it. So far only tried illumination and WP. Might get used in an upcoming event we're planning, thanks for letting us know about the fuel bug so we can try to counter for it.

A few things came to mind. Compared to

, the illumination rounds doesn't produce enough (fancy) smoke while it burns, and no burn residue dropoffs (55 secs clearly visible). The below is what I use for these effects (glowing orb not included):

Smoke:

_sm = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal getPos _projectile;
_sm setParticleRandom [0.5, [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0.3, [0, 0, 0, 0], 0, 0, 360];
_sm setParticleParams [["\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16, 12, 8,0],
	"", "Billboard", 1, 30, [0, 0, 0],
	[0,0,0], 1, 1, 0.80, 0.5, [1.3,4],
	[[0.9,0.9,0.9,0.6], [1,1,1,0.3], [1,1,1,0]],[1],0.1,0.1,"","",_projectile];	
_sm setdropinterval 0.02;

Residue:

_pd = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal getpos _projectile;
_pd setParticleRandom [5.0, [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0.2, [0, 0, 0, 0], 0, 0, 360];
_pd setParticleParams [["\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16, 13, 2,0],
	"", "Billboard", 1, 0.1, [0, 0, 0],
	[0,0,0], 1, 1, -0.30, 0.5, [1.5,0],
	[[1,1,1,-4], [1,1,1,-4], [1,1,1,-2],[1,1,1,0]],[1000],0.1,0.1,"","",_projectile,360];	
_pd setdropinterval 0.1;

Light (not the orb, but is important for AI to have use from it, haven't checked all your scripts yet):

_li = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
_li setLightBrightness 1.44; //2.44;
_li setLightAmbient[0.8, 0.6, 0.2];
_li setLightColor[1, 0.5, 0.2];
_li lightAttachObject [_projectile, [0,0,0]];
_projectile say3D "FlareBurnArty";

Walking around burning wedges doesn't seem harmful at all. Light and smoke is excellent, but is there only a one time damage thing going on? It's not that critical though.

Missing projectiles: See this list, but M712 Copperhead (Laser Guided HE Shape Charge, fin stabilized), and HC Smoke is what I'm missing the most (for adjustment fires - I'm gonna make them use it, lol).

As for "effects being local", what are good ways to overcome this on a mission basis so everybody can see things as they happen? How is destruction in MP? No problems using DPICMs causing lag or anything?

This is only nitpicking of course, I absolutely LOVE this thing :D And the way all solutions are calculated and I can choose which one to use - simply outstanding!

Missing projectiles: See this list, but M712 Copperhead (Laser Guided HE Shape Charge, fin stabilized), and HC Smoke is what I'm missing the most (for adjustment fires - I'm gonna make them use it, lol).

Not missing ;) coding is all there for the Copperhead. There are some bugs with it though, so it was not listed in the release.

By next version it should be functional I imagine.

Roger that, sounds promising. As I have some issues with my own (spawnbased) copperhead implementation :) In real life, is the FDCs computer "terrain aware" so as to remove solutions that will hit terrain? I did something like this in Arma1 where I put out objects along the calculated path (except over water) and checked distance to an object placed on ground. If too small a distance, high angle would be selected (I only worked with two solutions, low and high angle, and highly simplified everything).

As for ammo pellets and vehicle storage - BIS - this is how it's done for vehicles of utter destruction to somewhat balance them out :p Maybe when I drop a projectile from my own inventory a projectile is added to the ground rather than the default "bag", like BIS personal rockets and missiles are, but this is nitpicking. Oh dear - action "Convert bag to IED", lol :D

Is it possible you have a link for the grid patch for the CAA1?

"If this applies to CAA maps for example, I have the patches already as part of my CAA rework."

I couldn't find any info on it.

I would love to use this amazing machine in CAA1 maps :)

Is it possible you have a link for the grid patch for the CAA1?

I couldn't find any info on it.

I would love to use this amazing machine in CAA1 maps :)

You can find them on our sixupdater repository under @CAA_HC.

- sixupdater://www.havoc-company.com:85/rsync/havoccompany.yml

Be aware these are offered with NO support, they are experimental fixes, not that drastic at the moment so should be compatible with normal CAA.

The map patches are invididual in the package, you should see the following files

oa_afghan

oa_avgani

oa_razani

Which are the patches for the maps we have so far.

Shouldn't be hard to patch CAA, but also Chernarus and Utes should be patched as northing is reversed, and it's very easy, done it myself already as it was never patched for us by BIS (I asked, but...). OA/VBS/Jcove maps I think are the only ones that got it right (no idea about other addon maps).

Can it be used with the Artillery module?

Pretty damn cool, this is a addon that should of came with the game.

Good work guys.

I am a idiot, so I have no idea how to use a realisitc artillery simulator. Could you possibly make a version using the ARMA artillery computer?

As Nou has said countless times it's not EVER going to come with the artillery computer, best just forgetting about that completely, just watch some of the video's that have been made to learn if you cant be arsed reading the fantastic manual for it (kudos rexehuk)

Here's one of mine:- (Note: After the first shot the lay has been adjusted due to the recoil of the cannon)

uzUAHzFQqB0

Also, I searched the thread but didn't see anything about the zoomed in and off center gunner external view? Is that intended? I'd really love to be able to watch this thing shoot as a gunner instead of just looking at a orange box.

If you switch to commander while turned out and manual fire on you can watch the cannon with all its glory :)

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

Any custom sp missions for this baby?.. I'm in love with this new toy..

Can it be used with the Artillery module?

Pretty damn cool, this is a addon that should of came with the game.

Good work guys.

Next version we will have something similar.

I forgot to mention, the sounds on this are not completed yet fully. Hopefully you like them so far... the only ones I "THINK" are final are:

Engine IDLE

Engine Drive

Super 8 Charge

I accidentally configured the engine DRIVE twice into the Movement also, I since then have a nice seperate sound while driving to give it a bit more character.

The charge sounds for the low levels are also a WIP and are subject to change, they might even be completely redone. I have some ideas for the future sound on this vehicle such as sound locations on the model so that the flaps etc produce sound from their latches and for the gun servo.

Shouldn't be hard to patch CAA, but also Chernarus and Utes should be patched as northing is reversed, and it's very easy, done it myself already as it was never patched for us by BIS (I asked, but...). OA/VBS/Jcove maps I think are the only ones that got it right (no idea about other addon maps).

Some people's maps still have 200x200m grid squares with the eastings in letters... :eek:

;1966667']Fallujah? :p

No Fallujah is fine' date=' the northings are backwards, but I wrote CBA functions to handle that.

What the functions cant handle are non powers of 10 grids and northings that dont start at 0 on either the top of the bottom of the map.

Celle is f'd up, it starts like 25 at the top left and goes down to 35. One of Old Bear's maps has the 200x200 grids, and there is another one.

Its a pretty simple thing to fix, I am not sure why they put all that effort into the maps and then leave them almost entirely broken otherwise with literally 10 lines of config missing or wrong... :p

At least they aren't like some of the maps where the grids literally repeating every 10km, like on some of the HUGE maps.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Love it love it love it. So far only tried illumination and WP. Might get used in an upcoming event we're planning, thanks for letting us know about the fuel bug so we can try to counter for it.

A few things came to mind. Compared to

, the illumination rounds doesn't produce enough (fancy) smoke while it burns, and no burn residue dropoffs (55 secs clearly visible). The below is what I use for these effects (glowing orb not included):

Actually I used your suggested configs a long time ago (found them in the Charon thread) for the ACE illums. I got some criticism about the smoke being too thick originally (see my original video for the 155mm illum rounds).

The burning parts of the flare falling off, that is something I should add probably. It looks cool, forgot that it did that, haha.

Walking around burning wedges doesn't seem harmful at all. Light and smoke is excellent, but is there only a one time damage thing going on? It's not that critical though.

WP does no damage at the moment, purely just smoke. I will probably add damage in ACE since we already have incendiary effects in ACE and I don't want to replicate that whole system.

The copperhead is actually in the current package, but the tables are all sorts of messed up at the moment. If you want to try it feel free to dig through the configs, but no guarantees on it working. :p

As for additional smoke, I think I'd rather add bursting WP rather than HC. HC is a cargo round, not as good for spotting due to the way the smoke canisters bounce around. Bursting WP hits and puts up a giant plume of smoke.

As for "effects being local", what are good ways to overcome this on a mission basis so everybody can see things as they happen? How is destruction in MP? No problems using DPICMs causing lag or anything?

This is only nitpicking of course, I absolutely LOVE this thing :D And the way all solutions are calculated and I can choose which one to use - simply outstanding!

The only time effects are local is with the Excalibur when it is being fired. This is a bug with the fired event handler in ArmA2 and how it does muzzle effects (all muzzle effects in game that are not done via config are done via a script that is executed on fired).

All other effects are fine. DPICM produces no noticeable netlag really. This is mainly because we spawn all the rounds in a single frame, this means that minimal network traffic is used to spawn the shells, usually only 1-2 packets, where as traditional schedular bound network spawns of that number can cause HUGE network delays because they are sending only 1-2 grenades PER PACKET!

Things like the WP smoke in there now, those burning particles are produced locally, there is minimal network traffic there, the only thing created is a vehicle at the burst point that is used to spawn the burning particles locally (using an init, though there are multiple ways of achieving the same sort of effect, PV could do it too).

ADAMs spawns the mines globally, but the triggers for them only exist on the server, and there is only one trigger per shell fired, so there is minimal overhead, and it exists solely on the server machine.

Anyways, effects propigate in a way that is perfectly fine right now, except for when you are standing next to a gun that fires Excalibur. We will have that fixed in the next update (its an easy fix, just fire a dummy shell for Excalibur, and switch it out with the shotRocket simulated round on the fired event handler and send it on its merry way).

;1966590']If you switch to commander while turned out and manual fire on you can watch the cannon with all its glory :)

Can do that if you've already got a Commander. :)

Also, as someone said the ammo boxes for this thing are amazing, how when you remove each round you actually see them disappear from the model. Freaking amazing guys.

Nothing against the fine work you guys have created here (this really is one of the best vehicle addons, no, simulations, yet released for this game) but I would like to add my voice to the chorus calling for a "lite" version with the default artillery computer. It would add a lot of utility to your beautifully crafted model and textures without having to strip away all the work put into the fire-control sim (which is, truthfully, a lot of fun to use).

Thanks for all the hard work and I hope that, at some point, you guys will consider offering this in "lite" mode.

Nothing against the fine work you guys have created here (this really is one of the best vehicle addons, no, simulations, yet released for this game) but I would like to add my voice to the chorus calling for a "lite" version with the default artillery computer. It would add a lot of utility to your beautifully crafted model and textures without having to strip away all the work put into the fire-control sim (which is, truthfully, a lot of fun to use).

Thanks for all the hard work and I hope that, at some point, you guys will consider offering this in "lite" mode.

No, there will not be.

There will be an AI controlled gunners position, and a totally AI controlled Paladin with module to allow you to use them remotely, but the BIS artillery computer will NEVER be implemented.

It is not hard to use, at all. If you can not type in at most 14 numbers (or as little as 10, that is 6-10 digits for grid and up to 4 digits for altitude), all available looking at the map and press two buttons then I am totally unwilling to basically contribute to laziness.

Edited by NouberNou

Hai guys. Ive been testing this beast out and trying to learn how to become accurate with it. However atm i seem to have some problems. In Zargabad being at the very bottom of the map im trying to fire HE at the top of the map. I enter the coords plus the height given on the map, but im always short entering the height from the map.

Does the height of the ground have to be calculated somehow or should it be enough with the height data on the map? Ive read the manual and from what i can see the height from the map should be good. Im sure im doing something stupid. Just wish i knew what. :)

Cheers.

great addon !!!

is it possible to control more then one m109 with the arty-computer, so that i can fire for eg. 4 m109´s the same time?

Make sure you are calculating for and loading for the right shells. Also, make sure after, especially after higher charges, to check and make sure the gun barrel has not jumped too much. Sometimes it can jump a number of mils and requires you to press the lay button again.

Also make sure to fire a volley. I just fired a few missions. In the first mission I fired 3 shells, the first one landed almost dead center on the target, the next two were short. I fired another mission, the first two were short, the third landed directly on target. This is within the CEP (no falls were shorter than 60m, and usually any over shots are no further than 60m, but on occasion sometimes they are quite bit further/shorter, so be careful if you are firing near friendlies! OBSERVE DANGER CLOSE!).

A final thing, for those that do not notice. When you type in a gridsquare it is calculating for the CENTER of that grid square, not where the grid lines meet.

Try firing lower charges at slightly higher angles (but not high angle) and see how accuracy changes.

That being said, there is room for improvement always. :)

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

great addon !!!

is it possible to control more then one m109 with the arty-computer, so that i can fire for eg. 4 m109´s the same time?

Not at the moment no, but I would like to add it with the AI module, so AI guns would follow your lead gun.

Edited by NouberNou

I love this addon. It is truly a work of art :)

There is a great sense of satisfaction when you get your rounds on target!

Thanks guys!