Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Community Feedback Thread - TOH:CP

also what's with the shaking of the cockpit at random - what does it signify?

I guess it´s the airframe wanting to part from the rotor because you are flying too gung-ho .... hopefully one day it actually will do come apart once BI has fleshed out the damage model moar.

copter.gif

If the helicopter is of the free turbine type, I don't think the rpm should change very much if at all.

You don't have to hold left cyclic all the time if you set a key or joystick putting to set your manual trim. Then it's just a matter of zeroing in on a good trim setting for your current flight situation.

I have the joystick deadzone problem as well. I have an x52. I have made a devheaven ticket about it. If you have that problem and have a devheaven account, or wish to make one, vote up that issue.

From reading the thread and the comments of the real helicopter pilots who have given their feedback, the shaking animation seems to be from turbulence from air pockets and the point at which the helicopter is achieving effective transitional lift.

Edited by Max Power

Awesome work BI the preview is quite good it would be cool to have that FM in Arma2. I also have the impression that it is indeed much more complex than what can be seen in the preview by some of the options.:yay:

First and foremost, this is a comment from someone that knows absolutely nothing about helicopters or any form of aircraft.

After fiddling around with the preview for about 30 minutes, I'm having a really hard time seeing how this can be fleshed out into a full game. Turn on Auto Trim and the flying isn't all that dissimilar from the original ARMA heli's.

Maybe I'm missing something but this game feels, by the day, more and more like some sort of April Fools joke that refuses to reveal the prank.

After fiddling around with the preview for about 30 minutes, I'm having a really hard time seeing how this can be fleshed out into a full game. Turn on Auto Trim and the flying isn't all that dissimilar from the original ARMA heli's.

Don´t like it? Avoid it.

Everythings fine for somone who wants to be challenged by a game rather than ... well, just looking at it´s shiny graphics.

Remember OFP? The time it was released it was mighty challenging too, some loved it, some didn´t.

From reading the thread and the comments of the real helicopter pilots who have given their feedback, the shaking animation seems to be from turbulence from air pockets and the point at which the helicopter is achieving effective transitional lift.

There´s also that "mission objective" of not making your passengers vomit on the flight to their destination, was mentioned during one of those interview/preview thingies, so it could aswell be associated to the wobbly air stuff.

Theres this game for PSP, Pilot Academy, which does sort of the same - make airbus barrel roll, red bar fills up, boom mission failed - game really sucked arse btw :D

I have the joystick deadzone problem as well. I have an x52. I have made a devheaven ticket about it. If you have that problem and have a devheaven account, or wish to make one, vote up that issue.

Use the programming software and slave the mouse to the joystick (so that joystick inputs are translated as mouse inputs). Works a treat.

Your post is dripping with sarcasm. I am sorry if you took my snobbiness to be disdain. Maybe I am a snob. I apologize if you thought I was talking down to you. However, if you read through the various forum threads posted on this game I would say the "noobs who don't have sticks" and the "purists" are about 50/50, and both are heaping loads of disdain on each other, to the point where it is counterproductive. Personally, I think there is room for all of us. Can't we all just get along? :butbut: There are tons of makes and models, some are crappy but cheap, some are fantastic but very expensive. There may be some happy mediums in there too. Right now I am using a Logitech extreme 3d pro, with saitek pedals but I will soon be using custom built heli controls (full cyclic,collective and pedal combo, very expensive, but hey, I'm a purist).

Actually, my last post wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I have no disdain for experts and purists, just respect (although I think having a joystick for a home computer is a bit nerdy). I think that the keyboard/mouse controls are good enough to not necessitate a joystick unless one MUST fly with autotrim off all the time for purist reasons. I like to fly up the canyons under 50m alt. and >150 knots with autotrim off, and kick in the autotrim on landing and takeoff only, sometimes only on landing.

Very importantly, I haven't figured out how to set the manual trim, which could alleviate the constant/heavy left pedal. That skill must be mastered.

These g-damn crashes on exit are really bothering me. I set my interface and game resolutions to the same value (1680x1050), but that didn't stop the crash. I think it is some interference with A2 CO, but I don't know.

My earlier post about needing a joystick was not to put anyone down or feel superior.

What I meant was that its been designed as the best tool for controlling aircraft and is also available for our PCs.

Its just a fact that keyboards are not analogue so you can't control how much yaw pedal you are exerting and in a helicopter that is especially important.

OMAC: What makes you think its nerdy having a joystick????

The best ones like Thrustmaster Warthog are a bit extreme I must say but reviews say its good so if you have the money....

Try a cheap one first maybe.

It sure seems that the vast majority of people in this forum are REAL EXPERTS at flying real helis and/or playing heli sims.

I know you weren't being sarcastic but remember that most of us are here because we like heli sims so naturally want the more realistic/difficult experience.

Edited by EDcase

Am I the only one with some inconsistent sounds when viewing the helicopter from the outside?

It's like, when you're directly behind it you hear the turbine / exhaust ( Whatever it is ) but it'll cut out and sound more like when viewing it from the side. When viewing it from the side it'll also rotate between these sounds - It's like there isn't any correlation between the on-screen action and the sounds when seeing it in 3rd person.

Maybe I'm missing something but this game feels, by the day, more and more like some sort of April Fools joke that refuses to reveal the prank.

lol wut u serios?!?!

@Sethos

== Known issues ==

* Helicopter sounds are too soft in interior view and loop badly in exterior view

;)

No, sounds like sounds is using a bit of trickery at the moment. I expect these things to be fixed eventually. Try opening the map :)

Some feedback:

The lights look really really bad imo. Inside you have a big nasty flare going on. External lights when on should use an illuminated texture for navigational lights and even animated for rotating/flashing beacons, and flashing strobes. Currently we have a glow object with a black thing inside.

There are some really, really nice new parameters and commands available (like air density etc, proving some aspects are planned for), but I can't find anything about ambient air temperatures or new weather things (new fog commands seem to be visual only).

Edited by CarlGustaffa

no Problem, youre welcome!

and you can be sure BIS will fix that in the main game release

Todays impressions. I learn that my fly skills are every day better and better. Everything what TKOH need is training. To everybody who complain that control is not precise, I recommend set sensitivity for x,y axis to about 75%. Then you need drill, drill and again drill.

Extended HUD is really helpful. You have to eye circle and try to get it to "volley". Initially I have to sometimes hold joystick with both hands, now I hold it with one hand, maybe joystick is more loose. You really need solid wrist for fine manoeuvring. Rest after longer fly.

First try slowly fly on airfield, slowly turn machine, try land an so on. When you are fell more comfortable with helicopter. You can try something harder.

For example I tried land in front of hotel at Chernogosrsk. First it was really difficult, I was happy that I "fell" there. Now this task is "quite" easy and I'm able to land on top of the hotel.

Today I was able fly where I want and not where chopper want. I don't know how to describe it, but now I'm able to use helicopters momentum, it is like you gently kick it to opposite side and chopper do what I want (mostly :p).

I have to compliment FM, dunno if it's realistic, but it's enjoyable, especially fly near ground is pleasure. I have not problem fly through forest path and even it's seems more easy then with Arma2 FM. Actually helicopter with momentum is more predictable and controllable.

One thing I'd like to ask someone with flying experience, it seems that helicopter descent rate is too slowly, is it right?

I summary it, to everybody who thought that fly is hard, train, train and again train, you will soon realise that it's gonna be easier. Even pedal is not necessary, I have only logitech extreme 3d Pro joystick and it looks like satisfactory for precise flying (I'm afraid that will not have long durability :)).

I'm really looking forward to full game.

I finally got around to trying it today. I am flying with an XBOX1 controller which works nicely(Had to map increase and decrease throttle, added them to the triggers, also had to map turn left/right myself i think), though one suggestion i havent seen yet: Some Force Feedback during the turbulence (or whatever it is) would be nice, maybe also when you are overstressing the helicopter and you are breaking it or something, once that is implemented.

Overall the flying was quite enjoyable, even though i really suck at it. I dont know what auto trim does but it at least it prevents me from turning upside down all the time. (I could compensate for it for a while by turning left all the time which made me go straight forward... :p )

, I recommend set sensitivity for x,y axis to about 75%. .
yes, 75% is the sweet spot between too big deathzone and exploded sensitivity the first centimeters beside the minimized deathzone.

I have noticed that the instrument dials go nuts when an AI is piloting, and maybe you need to tone down the animations for AI pilots. Looks like they are trying to get rid of some frustration if you know what I mean.

Also, once an AI has been piloting and you get into the pilots seat, the switch's action positions have moved to the left by about a quarter of a cockpits width.

If you turn all the systems off and get out, when you get back in the engine instantly restarts like the debug start up. This deosn't happen however if an AI pilot has shut down the helicopter first.

Still enjoying the preview though, looking forward to the updates.

Yeah found that out too, 75% is nice setting for my old Logitech Sidewinder stick. Now I can park inside hangars. Before I was lucky if I landed on the airport, but at least now I know why airports are so large :D

Based on the preview and knowledge of A2/CO/PMC/BAF, if there was any game for which I would consider buying a stick, ToH is it.

Frankly, I was going to buy ToH when it came out even without a demo, but now that we will have a series of constantly-improving free preview demos of awesome quality, I am TOTALLY STOKED for ToH.:dancehead:

Am I the only one with some inconsistent sounds when viewing the helicopter from the outside?

It's like, when you're directly behind it you hear the turbine / exhaust ( Whatever it is ) but it'll cut out and sound more like when viewing it from the side. When viewing it from the side it'll also rotate between these sounds - It's like there isn't any correlation between the on-screen action and the sounds when seeing it in 3rd person.

This is a known bug.

-Ziggy-;1967932']SLI doesn't work unless the application is renamed.

I renamed it to arma2oa.exe and it works.

:whistle:

What????? I'm using SLI' date=' but am having a terrible crashing problem - could this be the cause?

Uh-oh, please reply BIS!

I will try this idea now and see if it fixes my crash on exit problem.

[url']http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=121432[/url]

Edit:

No, renaming the .exe to arma2oa doesn't solve my crashing problem.

Edited by OMAC

Please change the font. Yeah, of all things, right? :) Unsure of resource, but ampersands (&) look extremely weird.