Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Gamespot Reader's Choice, vote for ARMA 3

BF3 looked mighty sweet in my eyes. How you operated in tanks gave me goosebumps, just thinking about it now even. Highly immersive. But I probably won't touch it, as action shooters just doesn't appeal to me. And action gamers want fast paced action, not scouting the AO for prolonged time.

Of course I want everything in A3 to be just as good and immersive, but it depends on the cost. A3 with it's simulation and AI is performing so much more computations, we run out of cycles.

These prizes are just weird to me as long as the games aren't out yet. I'm pretty sure many of the pro BF3 people will change their mind when they see the shallowness of the game they voted for, compared to the broadness of A3 :p

Also the biggest slice of gamers are at a younger age so they havent learned yet to appreciate the finer things in life. :D

Video game won't make youth gamer learning and developing their own-life, instead, pushing them into ideal dream from the reality.

Guys it's mainstream vs niche . International stadium rocking rock band vs international expo hall rock band . BMW vs well designed but less known custom car . The first will always win more prizes/$$$ , but that does not mean it's the better choice . Just be happy that BIS is doing well enough to still make and support Arma and that some game publications like PC Gamer give them credit . Heck , even the fact that Arma 3 got nominated on gamespot is a lot , considering that they are a mainstream site .

My more then 2 cents

Hey guys, guess what. Who likes who is up to them. Unless EA goes cheap on bf3, I'll probably buy it. And I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it. If I have 30 minutes to play a game, I'm not going to play arma. I'm going to play something that I'll have fun 1 minute into it.

Also the biggest slice of gamers are at a younger age so they havent learned yet to appreciate the finer things in life. :D

Some facts from The Entertainment Software Association (ESA)

The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 41 years old.

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

SOURCE: http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

So, any chance you people could stop pissing all over BF3? It's a great game, no matter what. It's just not the same genre as Arma 3. They're both great in their own aspects and comparing one to the other is futile and silly, to be honest.

Like it's not enough every highest rated comment on every BF video is: "Cod sucks lololololo Bf pawnz"

As long as they're both being developed (first and foremost) for the PC, I'll be interested. In both of them.

The battle had already been lost before it began. BF3 has been hyped a lot over the previous couple of months and now people are completely hyped for that game. A lesser known game like ArmA3 won't change that.

Let's hope next year, when ArmA3 is closer to completion, the devs start an advertising campaign that can capture people's attention as well as BF3 did.

Some facts from The Entertainment Software Association (ESA)

The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 41 years old.

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

SOURCE: http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

Keep in mind that statistics like those represent all gamers. This includes people who play, for example, webbased games two hours a week. Those statistics aren't really useful when talking about gamers who play regular full blown games, like BF3 and ArmA3.

Those statistics will change dramatically depending on what market you are talking about. For example, I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I play a "regular" game, like BF3 or ArmA3, I won't find many girls/women. While if I play some random Facebook game, I'll probably find loads.

Most people on the internet will agree; apples are better than oranges, hands down. :rolleyes:

No way, man. I can't believe you actually said that because oranges are clearly way better... Things used to be much better when there were only oranges. Damn apples.

I must have accidentally wandered into the OT section, seeing as all these threads are about BF3... :j:

Best graphics is rated by people who think lens flare, over exaggerated bloom, and sunshafts are actually seen in real life. ;)

You gotta get out more ..

sunshafts.jpg

Those statistics will change dramatically depending on what market you are talking about. For example, I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I play a "regular" game, like BF3 or ArmA3, I won't find many girls/women. While if I play some random Facebook game, I'll probably find loads.

I don't know why people have such a hard time in finding female gamers in hardcore fps. I come across at least 1 in every match of BF2, UT, TF2, CS and Killing Floor I play. Although I only play ARMA II with a few friends and not in clan and I don't play CoD cause it's not my kind of fps, I know plenty of women who do play CoD and are really quite good at it.

I doubt ARMA 3 will win those categories. Don't get me wrong but ARMA is a splendid title. If it was nominated for Best Tactical Shooter (it should win unless people are ignorant... oh wait, what if those ignorant kiddies call COD and BF a tactical shooter >.>). ARMA should have also won this http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2010/special-achievement/index.html?page=19 (why starcraft 2 ? D: it's a pretty decent RTS game and all, but its modding community doesn't stand a chance compared to ARMA 2's addons. Unsung Mod, ACE mod, Invasion 1944, some of Charon's Zombies and Predators mods, and lots and lots of addons all on armaholic. This to my opinion was what ARMA should have deserve winning and best tactical shooter.

Yes ARMA should win Best Tactical Shooter. But don't belittle the tactics in Battlefield. A team that can actually work together in that game is almost unstoppable

Yes ARMA should win Best Tactical Shooter. But don't belittle the tactics in Battlefield. A team that can actually work together in that game is almost unstoppable
That's why there were probably those join a squad thing back in BF2 and yes having tactics will work in BF, I won't look down on BF for that, but them COD kiddies I know at school looks down on all games but COD... I find no tactics or anything in it, but wtf, shouldn't ARMA 2 won that Best Implantation of User Content? Starcraft 2 got a great mission editor and all, but the addons from ARMA 2 are splendid.

You gotta get out more ..

There's never been a forest that thick in a videogame.

There are plenty of thick forest canopy's in ARMA II. And you don't need to be in a forest to see sun shafts. Though I do agree that bloom is used far to extensively in games. Although concrete can seem bright if you've been in the dark or dim light I don't think concrete has ever bloomed when I've been outside for a minute or more.

And yeah I've never seen a good example of teamwork and tactics in CoD. It's probably the reason why I'm so put off by it. I guess I could have won Best Implantation of User Content, but isn't it still a popularity contest? And far more people are familiar with SC2 than ARMA II

So, any chance you people could stop pissing all over BF3? It's a great game, no matter what.

Sooooo, when did you last play BF3? I'm playing it rite nao.

I don't doubt it'll be great, but you shouldn't really talk like you've played it. :dj:

There's never been a forest that thick in a videogame.

It's not related to the thickness of the forest, but the amount of particles in the air, be it pollen, dust, smoke or moisture. I might agree that sun shafts don't add too much to the game, but they do exist IRL :)

Edited by DMarkwick

keep voting people :) also Carrier Command is there too

Best RTS, I vote for Gaia ;) and seems to be first until now

Sooooo, when did you last play BF3? I'm playing it rite nao.

I don't doubt it'll be great, but you shouldn't really talk like you've played it. :dj:

Maybe I shouldn't have put it like that. But they've revealed a lot over the past few months. Enough to overdo other things like CoD where they keep a lid on it until about a day and a half before release.

Uncharted 3 has 4200+ votes for best graphics. OMG.

The lit shit with range of a portrayal of 20 meters hasn't deserved 4200 votes for a graphics. Let Arma it is better away from this kindergarten remains.

I don't know why people have such a hard time in finding female gamers in hardcore fps. I come across at least 1 in every match of BF2, UT, TF2, CS and Killing Floor I play. Although I only play ARMA II with a few friends and not in clan and I don't play CoD cause it's not my kind of fps, I know plenty of women who do play CoD and are really quite good at it.

I never said you won't find any female players, if that is what you are implying. I just meant that you'll find significantly less. If that is not what you meant and you just wanted to tell us how many women you've met while playing video games, then... well, good for you! :p

I hope you've actually heard their voice because a very large number (many people claim around 80%) of people playing "regular" video games who claim to be female, are actually male, trying to get more attention. ;)

It's not related to the thickness of the forest, but the amount of particles in the air, be it pollen, dust, smoke or moisture. I might agree that sun shafts don't add too much to the game, but they do exist IRL :)

I second that. Sometimes all you need is thick clouds with a few openings to let the sun through and lots of particles in the air. The effect will be sunshafts coming from the clouds. So, forests have nothing to do with it.

As for lens flare. The lens flare effect can happen in a human eye, but only in very uncommon circumstances. But it can happen! :p

However, I agree that such effects are overused in some games.

By the way, like somebody else has already said, vote for Carrier Command too! ArmA3 might not win but Carrier Command seems to be number 1 under the strategy games! Don't forget, it's a BIS game too, so if Carrier Command wins, it's going to be a win for ArmA3 as well!

Edited by BlackAlpha

Gamespot's Reader's Choice

ArmA III is nominated for Best PC Game, Best Shooter, Best Graphics, and Game of the Show.

Unfortunately it is getting its ass kicked by Battlefield 3 in everyone of those categories.

@Mods- Sorry if this wasn't posted in the right spot. I wasn't sure if I should put it with Press Coverage, E3 Coverage, or someplace else and I also thought that people might want to discuss it.

* stickied for time of the voting

how to tell all these things without more video (not false CG)?

BF3 looks awesome right now and has loads of video support to showcase it's strengths. the turth probably will come out in time as to how EA nerfed it, but that's later.

all i've seen of arma3 is a few handycam shots and a supposedly mostly CG trailer. if there's more to see would love to but but until then it's (IMHO) fanboy support of something we cannot actually vouch for yet.

Yeah, it's just a little early yet for Arma3 to be the "best" anything. BIS have thrown us a few bones, shown us where the engine is headed etc. but it's obviously still far from finished. I don't expect many people outside of the Arma community will be able to appreciate where it's going and what it will become a year down the road.

Next E3 will be a different story...

Edited by MadDogX

didnt know that we can vote there without registration, nice!

the bis games got all my votes :D

ok arma 3 has no chance this year, there was just to few to show for the average gamer even if we armaholics made our pants wet when we watched the videos.

but CC is the best RTS for now :yay: keep voting mates!

edit: ok i just noticed that i pretty much said the same as maddogx already did...