Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

What kind of Body Armor will be in the game? (if any)

Guys, you forget LSA (Liquid-state armor).

Why can't we cant just have simple kelvlar vests?
Kevlar is so 1990's...that's not the way to go with a 2020's time setting. That would be like US soldiers in 70's vietnam gear fighting in Afghanistan in 2003.

I've sorta been waiting for body armour to be added into the game since Arma 1

It doesn't have to have any difference to each other, but with the adding of ACE weight features, I could see why it would be an option to not wear any.

I remember playing a mission where we had to blow a tower up, and in using ACE I was able to strip down to just the 3 satchel charges and my rifle with 2 clips and hoof it there and back, It would've been even cooler if I coulda stripped off my webbing/heavy bodyarmour.

this actually happens alot, I once read that the soldiers in Afghanistan were trudging up the mountains, and to save themselves the extra weight they took the metal slabs out of their flak jackets, I'd like that in an Arma game.

"Let me tell you Grimes... We carry about 50lbs of gear as it is...."

Why can't we cant just have simple kelvlar vests?

Kevlar doesn't even stop rifle rounds in most cases... not very useful when you are fighting a war with assault rifles

Useless comment is useless. Game takes place in 2020, Y U PEOBLES NO GET IT?! I think most Cameron McDonalds on this forum will agree with me

Post of the century, WINNER!

How so? I've seen all those videos of round after round (and hand grenades!) being used on it without penetration, also rember this is the future so it could be assumed that whatever issue dragon skin has, its been fixed by now. Or atleast some of the scale-design tech could be used on other more reliable materials that may be less (or more!) powerful.

Dragon Skin is not reliable under hot temperatures (think: desert, Iraq), it failed to stop incoming rounds.

The adhesive fails and the disc don't stay properly attached to one another.

How so? I've seen all those videos of round after round (and hand grenades!) being used on it without penetration, also rember this is the future so it could be assumed that whatever issue dragon skin has, its been fixed by now. Or atleast some of the scale-design tech could be used on other more reliable materials that may be less (or more!) powerful.

Dragon skin was tossed due to some rather severe problems. The small plates delaminate and fall apart when exposed to diesel fuel (something soldiers and Marines come into contact with regularly), and extreme temperatures do the same thing as well. If you toss it into the back of a vehicle on a hot day, you may well lose all protection.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/files/dragon_skin_release_000121may07.pdf

modern US SAPI plates are capable of reliably stopping a 30.06 AP round, and multiple 762x39 hits with out needing to be replaced. though its always best to replace after a hit

i am really hoping that A3 has better armor simulation. its just silly that i can kill US marines or US soldiers with a makarov by shooting them in the chest or helmet in A2 (i dont know the capabilities of the russian armor or plates, but im guessing it should stop pistol rounds)

Dragon skin was tossed due to some rather severe problems. The small plates delaminate and fall apart when exposed to diesel fuel (something soldiers and Marines come into contact with regularly), and extreme temperatures do the same thing as well. If you toss it into the back of a vehicle on a hot day, you may well lose all protection.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/files/dragon_skin_release_000121may07.pdf

Don't you think that almost ten years from now they would have solved that problem?

Edited by Spec_Ops_Sniper

Don't you think that almost ten years from now they would have solved that problem?

Even 50 years later the rocket is still possible to crash before leaving the orbit, as well as the modern firearm will jammed in extreme environment. I won't surprised if technology is still going fail more than success.

Yeah, that LSA stuff seems really intriguing I rember seeing a sign a couple years back asking for donations where regular clothing could be saturated with the stuff (or maybe it was nanobots) that could provide protection from the occaisonal stray bullet (for kids in Africa) it was wierd and totally surprising for me to see that paper add just pinned to wall. Don't know if the program ever took off though.

(My fanatsy armor at this point would be a disk-based armor (not sure what material would be used) and under that a layer or two of the LSA stuff sounds like it would be evened out a little by more powerful ammunition but still increasing combat survivability w/o being too cheap)

What about magic fictional nanosuites incl. body armor that can heal and cloak the player?

or just activate the extra armor in game options/settings... :p

Hi all

This is the MOST POINTLESS THREAD IN THE ARMA III FORUM.

It is clearly an OT thread and a repeat of one that exists already in the OT Section.

The only thing we should be discussing about body armour in ArmA III is a body armour implimentation method and maybe some 3D images of it.

I will now ask a Moddie to REMOVE THIS THREAD from ArmA III section and merge its contents with the OT thread it duplicates.

I will also start a topic where we can properly discuss the implimentation of body armour in ArmA III.

Not so kind Regards walker.

Edited by walker

Fun thing is academic tests @ Stanford University Medical Center tried at even higher temperatures than the project maneger test. 170 ºF. The SOV-2000 vests passed the test without penetrations and survived multiple hits by 5.56, 7.62x39 and .30 cal.

Pierre Sprey one of the F-16 designers said:

"There is a revolving door between the military and the industry"

The way the army procures equipment is dubious. I'm not a Dragon Skin activist, i'm an activist of human life, specially when that life is put on the line to help other people.

Dragon skin!!

Untrustworthy.

Let's get Liquid armor instead:

Because the scales fall off at extreme temperatures, aka. desert environments like iraq & afghanistan.

Are we returning to dark age again? Why you all sounds armors was THAT important for everyone? For hunting dragons?

To me, the protection for environmental situation is already enough for common soldiers, if we are on frontline of battlefield, evade their fire by build up defense or go guerrilla sounds better than "eating bullets".