Raunhofer

Raunhofer's - Island Project 3

Looking great Raunhofer, that's a lot of plants indeed.

My preference also lies more with these kinds of terrains instead of the miniaturized desert terrains like Takistan.

I'm also working on a 8kmx8km project and was wondering by how much trees and bushes would drop framerates. Is there some trick where you can guestimate how the finished map will perform ingame?

What cell size are you using by the way, if you haven't mentioned it before? I'm trying a 4096 grid with 2 meter spacing on a 1:1 scale map, based on a real life area. Bushlurker mentioned that working with 4096 grids causes problems and that's why no one does it. Do you have any insights on the grid cell size matter that you'd be prepared to share? I couldn't find any info on the matter and so far haven't noticed any problems, but I'm still working on the heightmap. So no models, roads or trees yet, just grass. However since it's mostly farmland I can't imagine framerates dropping significantly in the finished version.

What cell size are you using by the way, if you haven't mentioned it before? I'm trying a 4096 grid with 2 meter spacing on a 1:1 scale map, based on a real life area. Bushlurker mentioned that working with 4096 grids causes problems and that's why no one does it. Do you have any insights on the grid cell size matter that you'd be prepared to share? I couldn't find any info on the matter and so far haven't noticed any problems, but I'm still working on the heightmap. So no models, roads or trees yet, just grass. However since it's mostly farmland I can't imagine framerates dropping significantly in the finished version.

Grid 1024, cell 8m, satellite grid 48 is the best way to go. It works well and runs perfectly.

In practice if you select your objects wisely it doesn't matter how much you have them. The most important thing is to recognize heavy-duty-objects from the light ones and try to use more less objects which have high GPU-usage.

Just avoid too 'leafy'-plans :)

Ha, no Dutch Jungle then.

Maybe next time I'll try a smaller grid size, but for my current project 4096 is the minimum resolution for decent looking terrain detail. In case it really does cause problems, I'll downscale everything to 2048. Anyway thanks for the info and keep up the good work, looking forward to trying your map ingame.

Attention!

Christmas is near and first snowflakes are falling as I sit in a abandoned factory complex writing this forum post with my laptop. This complex has been abandoned for years after the huge Battle of Blaise End. After long days of hard work it is time to relax and open some presents which my friends have sent to me. I'll continue working after the holidays.

Have a good Christmas folks!

Oh! And I almost forgot! I uploaded few photos for you from the land of battlefields.

Hope my camera will hold upcoming winter...

Over and out!

cosyton03.jpg

cosyton01.jpg

cosyton06.jpg

cosyton04.jpg

cosyton02.jpg

cosyton05.jpg

Note: Work in progress (heavily)

Edited by Raunhofer

Looks simply amazing, I love the cold, isolated feeling it gives me. Well done!

This is really awesome. Looks great . . . you mapmakers have a special place in my heart. Thanks for your awesome work can't wait to try it out.

Looks simply amazing, I love the cold, isolated feeling it gives me. Well done!

Dito, :thumb:

Evokes isolation and emotion without the threat of zombies (ala Namalsk), and looks well cluttered for some interesting fighting? Like*

looks amazing, will be great for CQB :)

Did you make that red foliage in the first picture? It's amazing! :yay:

I love your other islands, this one looks amazing.

Also, brofist for being from Winland.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

looks amazing, will be great for CQB :)

Or anything for that matter. :p

Looking great! What about those pictures was a work in progress? Looks done to me. ;D

TFB has been creaming their collective pants over this, when they're not showering praises over Clafghan lol, the ground clutter looks phenomenal. Very natural.

Compare

http://www.outdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/chainlakestrailmtbaker.jpg to http://koti.mbnet.fi/a3tech/islpro3x/2/sm/sml_03.jpg

and http://landscapephoto.us/Images/Olallie-Forest-Scene.jpg to http://koti.mbnet.fi/a3tech/islpro3x/2/sm/sml_02.jpg

Its very close to nature; like I said before, great work. :)

Looks really, really good! I can hear the distant wind already on that god-forsaken island...and the first smell of the snow...

Ace job. Good lighting settings for the pictures too. The older pics had a tad bit high contrast making it hard to see the beauty.

Raunhofer, your map likes on Stalker territories! Its good :) Please make more different 'opened' houses! You can see thus in Panthera2 island and Lingor, its great variant for CQB and PvP (TvT) missions! Thanks!

Updated Caribou Frontier pictures

As you can see I'm progressing with the island, slowly but surely.

Notice that these areas are still under construction so there might be some glitches and visual quality flaws visible.

10.jpg

01.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

02.jpg

12.jpg

04.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by Raunhofer
added one image

Looks asskicking. Hopefully a release date isn't too far.

Don't see many high trees though. Some high pine trees would be nice to have for detail and variety.

Looks asskicking. Hopefully a release date isn't too far.

Don't see many high trees though. Some high pine trees would be nice to have for detail and variety.

Not to worry, there are dense forests too.

I just can't understand, why there are so much talented people working with this kind of projects for free? But hell, I'm so glad that there is :bounce3: Thank you Raunhofer! Your work is simply the pure SUPER awesomness :yay: Can't wait for this release. Thirsk is still my favourite island, but when this one comes out... YAY!