Sign in to follow this  
Uberduderofdoomer

Environment :O

Lol you need to get yourself one of them black hole bags. Holds infinite amount of stuff. :cool:

Btw, the bag analogy is not very good. You're implying that the technology capacity is fixed, but it's always increasing as hardware improves, software is optimized, etc...

Yes, I know that technology is aways improving and is not fixed but the ARMA engine is and the cost factor for a new engine and the time it will take to complete. What do you think the extra 1.5lbs of shit is? OFP optimized UP THE ASS:eek: ARMA1-ARMA2 and now ARMA3 is the same basic game as OFP but optimized with better hardware improves for graphics/Visuals. So my bag analogy I feel is right on target.

PS. I would like to be thank for a post lol:cool:

Yes, I know that technology is aways improving and is not fixed but the ARMA engine is

ArmA engine is fixed? How did we get all those new improvements then?

There's no fixed capacity to the engine, but I know what you're trying to say. At some point if you pimp it out too much it no longer serves its purpose. That said, there's still plenty of room for improvement & expansion. Hopefully BIS adds only what's important for the gameplay and enough extensibility for us to be satisfied with our making our own content/mods.

The Coriolis Effect is very relevent to Marksman/Sniper's for long range target aqquisition and it is a massive factor in engaging a target at long ranges with medium too large character weapon systems.

The coriolis effect is not relevant as it is not even an actual force.

It becomes relevant in hundreds of miles ranges.

It is relevant, but only barely and certainly not a massive factor. Considering we'll be relatively close to the equator, it can be safely disregarded - other environmental effects would be more important (imho). Is it in VBS2 for rifle ballistics? How about artillery/call for fire module? Drift due coriolis effect is only about 6cm per 1000 meters (2.5" per 1000 yds) - not enough to be significant for us. Gyro drift by barrel rifling contributes more. I think wind drift would be sufficient.

The Coriolis Effect is very relevent to Marksman/Sniper's for long range target aqquisition and it is a massive factor in engaging a target at long ranges while playing that level in pripyat.

Fix'd.

Seriously, though, it only becomes relevant when you are trying to beat the record for longest confirmed sniper kill, and even then its importance is way less than that of wind, for example.

Spin Drift!

Wind / storms is a good point! Only imagine flights ^^ Also sea waves getting larger by strong winds may become importend for sea battles. Animal environment also could get us in totally new situations, thinking of getting bite by a poison snake, or lacerated by wolfs or bears ^^

Still waiting for bigfoot. C'mon BIS, if the world is ever going to take him seriously he needs to be represented more in modern media.

Fix'd.

Seriously, though, it only becomes relevant when you are trying to beat the record for longest confirmed sniper kill, and even then its importance is way less than that of wind, for example.

It would be nice if it was generally implemented. I'd like to write compensation for that in my BCS's :D...

Wow. What am I saying... :eek:

I say just make the world as organic as possible and let things blow to pieces terrain buildings and yes to weather changes. If it can happen in real time enivironments then it can happen in sim one too. Tree's and vegetation moves from the wind etc I guess we could go on and on. :)

Blasting away tree branches would be great - I've always enjoyed pruning branches with a M249.

The coriolis effect is not relevant as it is not even an actual force.

It becomes relevant in hundreds of miles ranges.

It also comes into play if the Shooter is above a certain height that has seem to have slipped my brain, it only applies to larger rounds anyway.

Mh ive allready postet this in the "whises for arma3" theme.

My wish for Arma 3s vegetatin is following:

Better chance to HIDE IN THE VEGETATION!

The Vegetatin in Arma 2 looks really nice - no question. In particular from near.

But it has a lot of negative aspects.

FIRST of all: We all know the gras problem. If u lie in the gras u cant see anything, but the enemy from far can see u clearly. The procedure of letting u slide into the ground which we all know is just a workaround.

My idea is following:

If we look at the gras which prevents us from seeing our enemy it strikes, that its these

big brown bushes on tschernarus that blockade the view.

gras_1.jpg

How about declaring them as bushes, so that they dont disappear but become sprites with different level of details?

I think this could work out fine.

Second: The bushes in Arma 2 online serve as cover in near environment. The farer u are away the better you can see the soldier behind them. But in return u HAVE NO good view from behind the bush to the other side.

Come on BI! Thats as if u were hiding in a bush and the farer your opponent is away the better he can shoot u and the lesser u can shoot him...thats ridicolous...

Examples:

example_1.jpg

example_2.jpg

This could be resolved EASILY by adjusting the Level of details correctly. So that the tree LOD is a little bit wider than normal and ready we are.

And! You remember the bushes from OFP? They were a good hiding place.

Now try to hide behind an Arma bush:

Buesche_1.jpg

They definetely look nice no question, but they serve as no cover!

I would like to have bushes in form of this:

bushes.jpg

Then there is the chance of hiding again.

And one third thing: From near the soldiers fit perfectly into the environment, but from far away they can easily be spotted thanks to the contrast of the ground and soldier.

Cant there be found a solution? MAybe like making the soldiers a bit transparent when standing in front of vegetation? Maybe let them online get transparent on their clothes with camo?

I think this would get the game to a completely different level.

Edited by NordKindchen

The Coriolis Effect is very relevent to Marksman/Sniper's for long range target aqquisition and it is a massive factor in engaging a target at long ranges with medium too large character weapon systems.

the coriolis effect doesnt effect a shot that much even at 1000+ meters, spin drift and winds (sometimes multiple crosswinds in different directions), have a much larger effect, and then there are things like temperature, humidity, the type of ammo your shooting (not just the caliber), snipers in afghanistan used to leave their ammo out in the sun to get longer shots out of them

and most of this stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

ballistic coefficient of the bullets used

height of the sighting components above the rifle bore axis

the zero range at which the sighting components and rifle combination were sighted in

bullet weight

actual muzzle velocity (powder temperature affects muzzle velocity, primer ignition is also temperature dependent)

range to target

supersonic range of the employed gun, cartridge and bullet combination

inclination angle in case of uphill/downhill firing

target speed and direction

wind speed and direction (main cause for horizontal projectile deflection and generally the hardest ballistic variable to measure and judge correctly. Wind effects can also cause vertical deflection.)

air temperature, pressure, altitude and humidity variations (these make up the ambient air density)

Earth's gravity (changes slightly with latitude and altitude)

gyroscopic drift (horizontal and vertical plane gyroscopic effect — often known as spin drift - induced by the barrels twist direction and twist rate)

Coriolis effect drift (latitude, direction of fire and northern or southern hemisphere data dictate this effect)

Eötvös effect (interrelated with the Coriolis effect, latitude and direction of fire dictate this effect)

lateral throw-off (dispersion that is caused by mass imbalance in the applied projectile)

aerodynamic jump (dispersion that is caused by lateral (wind) impulses activated during free flight at or very near the muzzle)[28]

the inherent potential accuracy and adjustment range of the sighting components

the inherent potential accuracy of the rifle

the inherent potential accuracy of the ammunition

the inherent potential accuracy of the computer program and other firing control components used to calculate the trajectory

The ambient air density is at its maximum at Arctic sea level conditions. Cold gunpowder also produces lower pressures and hence lower muzzle velocities than warm powder. This means that the maximum practical range of rifles will be at it shortest at Arctic sea level conditions.

The ability to hit a point target at great range has a lot to do with the ability to tackle environmental and meteorological factors and a good understanding of exterior ballistics and the limitations of equipment. Without (computer) support and highly accurate laser rangefinders and meteorological measuring equipment as aids to determine ballistic solutions, long-range shooting beyond 1000 m (1100 yd) at unknown ranges becomes guesswork for even the most expert long-range marksmen.

Edited by ghostnineone