Sign in to follow this  
jsncrso

Onlive

Here's to hoping BI puts this game on the new Onlive streaming service as a standalone purchase. Otherwise I'm going to have to plunk down a ton of cash for a new system. Not sure how the mods and saved games would work on that service though. Thoughts?

Oh, and lag shouldn't be an issue. I run a Phenom IIx4 with a 5750 and lag on my local machine with Arma2 is way worse than I've experienced with Onlive.

I'm guessing with the huge amount of data that would have to be streamed for Arma 3, I'd very much doubt such a solution would be possible.

Coupled with modding content to boot, you'd have one hell of a package to receive.

Oh, and lag shouldn't be an issue. I run a Phenom IIx4 with a 5750 and lag on my local machine with Arma2 is way worse than I've experienced with Onlive.

Because the two are unrelated...

On one, you're doing the rendering and processing on your machine. Onlive does all the rendering and processing on their server farms and streams it to you.

What settings are you trying to run arma 2 on?

Because the two are unrelated...

On one, you're doing the rendering and processing on your machine. Onlive does all the rendering and processing on their server farms and streams it to you.

What settings are you trying to run arma 2 on?

Well I know they are unrelated, but lag is lag no matter what causes it. I run it at 720p with most things maxed out except AA & PP turned to low. If they do offer it on Onlive, I hope modding and customization is possible. Whatever the case, not many people are going to be able to run it higher settings.

Edited by jsncrso

Well no not really... lag is not lag no matter what causes it. Lag has many different meanings these days. Mouse lag, Network lag, rendering lag, etc. Plus Online would have a whole other type of lag, the fact that you're being streamed video and then you input commands which are uploaded back to them.

If they offer onlive, I doubt modding will be allowed.

I run the game fairly comfortably at 1920x1080, highest textures, high shadows, low AA, highest AF, low PP, 2-3km view distance.

keep in mind that the minimum specs they've released for ARMA 3 costs you about $300-$500 to build from scratch TODAY and by the time the game comes out the minimum spec computer will be really cheap

EDIT: I've actually found the parts and made a complete system minus the case

Motherboard ----- $ 88

Intel i5 CPU ------ $189

AMD 5770 -------- $119

2GB DDR3 RAM -- $ 24

500GB HDD ------ $ 37

Win 7 64-bit ------ $ 96

TOTAL ------------ $553

IF EXCLUDE HDD & OS

TOTAL ------------ $420

Although these prices are in Aussie dollar the parts are usually about the same or cheaper on amazon

(Prices taken from http://www.umart.com.au/)

EDIT: Also note that an AMD processor and board are usually cheaper than their Intel counterpart

Edited by Aussie_Osiris

Those minimum specs have a hard enough handling Arma 2, let alone Arma 3. It's going to cost more than that to get an enjoyable experience form the game. It would be nice to spend 50 bucks and play it on Onlive with max settings rather than buy a whole new PC.

I would just wait.... Thats current pricing for a decent rig. A year from now that rig could cost a few hundred less, or be completely out dated. So wait till arma 3 is released or a week before to look at prices of computers.

Also be mindful that DirectX 10/11 is a much more efficient API than DirectX 9. It uses a lot less CPU power when the game is coded correctly for it so it is possible that ARMA III could in fact run better on the same PC than ARMA II

Those minimum specs have a hard enough handling Arma 2, let alone Arma 3. It's going to cost more than that to get an enjoyable experience form the game. It would be nice to spend 50 bucks and play it on Onlive with max settings rather than buy a whole new PC.

An I5 w/5770 can handle ArmA 2 on high you turd...

Plus, where do you figure onlive runs anything at highest graphics? It runs at like medium stuff @ 720p. There was a screenshot comparisson news post on some gaming site about it.

clan playing extensive COOP match would bring theirs cloud system to knees ;)

or even better some Domination or warfare/cti like mission

also notice all games are locked to theirs default (normal to low) settings and not even bit above normal (many games don't have decent amount of AA applied) ...

this all is done to save performance on the cloud side

also notice all games are locked to theirs default (normal to low) settings and not even bit above normal (many games don't have decent amount of AA applied) ...

All the more reason for them to upgrade their systems ;) Seriously though, although most hardcore gamers wouldn't play Arma 3 via Onlive, it would cater to a more casual gamer audience who don't have the latest gaming PCs (which is what I consider myself, I just happen to love sims though).

All the more reason for them to upgrade their systems ;) Seriously though, although most hardcore gamers wouldn't play Arma 3 via Onlive, it would cater to a more casual gamer audience who don't have the latest gaming PCs (which is what I consider myself, I just happen to love sims though).

I'm just speaking out loud here, but nobody really wants casual players in ArmA. They'll just complain about how the game is too hard or that there isn't jumping or how the guns have too much recoil.

I found installing A2 on an SSD drive greatly improved performance.

I'm just speaking out loud here, but nobody really wants casual players in ArmA. They'll just complain about how the game is too hard or that there isn't jumping or how the guns have too much recoil.

Arma is one of two PC games I play, and I don't play either a whole lot so yeah, while I consider myself a casual gamer I also appreciate the realism and difficulty it presents. But no, I'm not "hardcore" enough to hate everything that's not a simulator nor am I hardcore enough to but a new gaming computer every 2-3 years.

And yes I know a 5770 can handle Arma on high, but not at the 60fps it would be nice to have it at.

I definitely would buy this game @ OnLive. It would be worth sacrificing mods and a bit of visual fidelity if I didn't have to pay for a whole new system. And, seriously, playing the Arma is the only reason I consider upgrading my system, strictly in the 'Want' category, not 'Need'.

My experiences w/ OnLive, thus far, have been satisfactory.

Edited by Anguis

I'm pretty interested in OnLive, I see it's potential in non polygon graphics, the point cloud & voxel or whatever ways of doing it, if they can get that tech to an acceptable level over the next few years it could be promising.

keep in mind that the minimum specs they've released for ARMA 3 costs you about $300-$500 to build from scratch TODAY and by the time the game comes out the minimum spec computer will be really cheap

EDIT: I've actually found the parts and made a complete system minus the case

Motherboard ----- $ 88

Intel i5 CPU ------ $189

AMD 5770 -------- $119

2GB DDR3 RAM -- $ 24

500GB HDD ------ $ 37

Win 7 64-bit ------ $ 96

TOTAL ------------ $553

IF EXCLUDE HDD & OS

TOTAL ------------ $420

Although these prices are in Aussie dollar the parts are usually about the same or cheaper on amazon

(Prices taken from http://www.umart.com.au/)

EDIT: Also note that an AMD processor and board are usually cheaper than their Intel counterpart

Thats actually gonna come in handy for me, thanks a heap

I've played 2 games on OnLive and both looked like something a GPU puked up. Not to mention the input lag. For RTS and some RPG type games, yes Onlive can work good enough. For something like ArmA or anything that remotely requires precision, not a chance. Maybe for something like SP, but even that's a very big maybe.

Don't you end up paying about the same for using onlive anyway? You have to pay subscription fees and then buy the games as well. I really don't see the point, and ArmA without mods just isn't ArmA.

Don't you end up paying about the same for using onlive anyway? You have to pay subscription fees and then buy the games as well. I really don't see the point, and ArmA without mods just isn't ArmA.

The point is mainly you wouldn't have to upgrade your entire computer system. Even buying just the minimum spec'd hardware is pricey enough, especially for one game. I haven't had any issues with Onlive's lag or quality, and it's improved greatly even since a year ago. Heck, even Crysis is on Onlive.

I love Arma more than anything (I go back to the OPF days), and bought this computer to mainly play Arma2. But I'm not willing to purchase another computer just to play one game, it's not worth several hundred dollars to me.

OnLive is more of a money milking hoax

It can barely run console games (which are made for 6 years old hardware) at 360p/480p, having to lower graphics quality to a minimum and encode the image too heavily to cause minimum controller lag which is still present. Crysis is on OnLive yes but how does it look?

They would need to spend a lot of money on tons of rigs just to allow a hundred of people to play ArmA2 on minimum and the lag will be huge if you will want a bearable image resolution.

And what about mods and MP?

Edited by metalcraze

If you start saving right now, you might get enough to buy a decent machine next summer.