rory_pamphilon

Automatic Mod Downloading

Indeed using the RO Ost front way would be good, just might take a while with some of the bigger mods out there.

Waiting a while to download content before getting into a server is better than never getting in at all. Most Arma players have a fair bit patience as a pre-requisite to playing the previous games anyway. New players might not be up for downloading large mods initially but I think once they take notice of how even a small mod can change a server, then maybe theyd reconsider larger fully modded servers.

Also mod/file server download speeds will only increase in the future as network infrastructure is improved so implementing and perfecting this now will mean benefits are reaped even more as the game matures. Nobody can deny the massive life cycle of BIS game is compared to other games, they simply dont become boring and implementing this would only help garuntee atleast a 10yr life cycle of Arma 3 IMHO :-)

BIS already said they will not support config editing while the game is loaded up, unless in singleplayer or editing mode. This was when mergeConfig was first introduced. But there are consequences... It makes the game easier to "cheat" or "hack". So in all likelihood without there being an added major hurdle for BIS to overcome, they will not support Automatic downloads. It's just an extra thing that can be exploited, and that's not something we really need.

What I would suggest is that when connecting to a server, it checks (as usual) that the content required is running on client side. If it is not, then along with the kick message "you are missing bla bla required to play this mission" you are also prompted with a message which gives you a link to the addons and mods you need to download (by default the link should take you to the addons forum section or perhaps a modsite). This link will be entered into the server.cfg by admins which takes you to a webpage including links to all the addons required or a package for you to install in order to play on that particular server.

Edited by Dead3yez

BIS already said they will not support config editing while the game is loaded up, unless in singleplayer or editing mode. This was when mergeConfig was first introduced. But there are consequences... It makes the game easier to "cheat" or "hack". So in all likelihood without there being an added major hurdle for BIS to overcome, they will not support Automatic downloads. It's just an extra thing that can be exploited, and that's not something we really need.

What I would suggest is that when connecting to a server, it checks (as usual) that the content required is running on client side. If it is not, then along with the kick message "you are missing bla bla required to play this mission" you are also prompted with a message which gives you a link to the addons and mods you need to download (by default the link should take you to the addons forum section or perhaps a modsite). This link will be entered into the server.cfg by admins which takes you to a webpage including links to all the addons required or a package for you to install in order to play on that particular server.

If gaming consumers have taught us anything, it's that they're far too lazy to engage in those extra steps. So if they're not willing to try, why should it matter to BIS? Simply because removing those required steps will drastically increase the number of players playing MP in Arma titles. That means more sales for them, which translates into more funding for future projects. And that ultimately translates to job security, which is what everyone wants in an industry where they're actually doing what they love.

So extra hurdle? Perhaps. But that doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't be done.

Any chance you can explain a little of what you meant. Why would automatic downloads involve in-game config editing and why would automatic mod downloads from a server make the game more vulnerable to client hacks?

Sorry im just not as clued up as you are with regards to Arma online security.

Thanks

I actually posted this same thing a while back, which as an author of a few ACE missions was an issue near and dear to my heart.

As far as it being "impractical" due to large mod sizes, I disagree. There's no way around the fact that if this game will allow large mods like ACE, someone has to download them from somewhere. The simple answer is, but the burden on the server admins, NOT the players. They could allow an advanced option like hosting the actual mod assets on an FTP or HTTP server somewhere (possibly not even on the same server as the mission), and the mission just points to the proper URL to obtain the assets. To deal with large files, you could allow background downloading, pre-downloading of mods from a particular server when you're at work (for instance), peer-to-peer file hosting, sophisticated diff computation so you only download what's changed from what you have already....any number of technologies available these days.

EDIT:

Yeah...or just hire Sickboy :)

EDIT:

Yeah...or just hire Sickboy :)

:rolleyes:

I think sickboy and some others would be an excellent addition to the team. Even if it was somewhat independent and only there for a specific purpose.

Wishes...

Problem with sickboy is that he doesn't do C++. I'm sure BIS could figure out a slick way to integrate his back end distribution API though.

Problem with sickboy is that he doesn't do C++. I'm sure BIS could figure out a slick way to integrate his back end distribution API though.
No need to integrate or be C++. The game could simply expose an API that I can consume, or the other way around.

Anyways, don't worry, im in contact with BIS :)

No need to integrate or be C++. The game could simply expose an API that I can consume, or the other way around.

Anyways, don't worry, im in contact with BIS :)

Nice Sickboy, lets hope they put your talent to good use. Any news you can share yet?

Nice Sickboy, lets hope they put your talent to good use. Any news you can share yet?

I think it's safe to assume he has signed an NDA and can only share this:

Jack shit.

;)

Hi, im againist the 'Automod download' thing. Let's C ya

Hi, im againist the 'Automod download' thing. Let's C ya

Good for you?

How can you be against an optional dialog that comes up on server join offering to download mods for you?

yea exactly! this is the main reason why a lot of people don't use mods! because they don't know how to install them or even bother taking the time

Complicated mod and addon requirement can be seen as a rather effective noob/cheater deterrent. When it takes one hour of work just to join the server, chances are it don't get many asshats who are only in for the quick lulz.

Then again, auto-downloads would also be optional to servers and requiring players on teamspeak pretty much has the same effect.

Complicated mod and addon requirement can be seen as a rather effective noob/cheater deterrent. When it takes one hour of work just to join the server, chances are it don't get many asshats who are only in for the quick lulz.

Then again, auto-downloads would also be optional to servers and requiring players on teamspeak pretty much has the same effect.

It deters people in general lol, its 99% negative

Independently of mod install/download facilities the game provides, there is a signature check made both on server and client when the mod runs... nothing is 100% secure but, in that sense, the problem is already there and with a countermeasure in place.

Hi, im againist the 'Automod download' thing. Let's C ya[/QUOT]

Is it possible you can explain why without using the following phrase... 'Let's C ya'?

Place your bets now guys on the chance of this happening :-P

The phrase is getting a little long in the tooth tbh

Edited by rory_pamphilon

Is it possible you can explain why without using the following phrase... 'Let's C ya'?

Place your bets now guys on the chance of this happening :-P

The phrase is getting a little long in the tooth tbh

Oh hell no it ain't. If it wasn't for "Lets c ya" in all its myriad forms I'd have no idea who was posting.

I think automatic mod downloading should be a completely different program than the original game itself.

If A3 is to have any form of auto downloading, it should be auto downloading and patching, and a 'Welcome' screen, similar to the new Blizzard games. I just feel Mods are other's problems, not the original and standard vanilla game.

My 2 cents.