Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Detailed component-driven damage modeling.

walking inside of cargo planes and shooting out of vehicle passenger positions.

Y'know, once you've done it a few times, it really loses its edge :p

Tho skydiving (properly) out the back of a C-17 is kinda fun...

Y'know, once you've done it a few times, it really loses its edge :p

Tho skydiving (properly) out the back of a C-17 is kinda fun...

I would never be tired of shooting enemys from a MH-6

No seriously: I have come into so many situations where it would have been incredibly usefull to be able to shoot from the passenger position......

Being able to stay on a moving carrier/boat would never ever ever get old...

You know I think DM is right. It would probably have limited applications and lose its coolness factor pretty quickly; epseically with this never satisfied community.

Being able to stay on a moving carrier/boat would never ever ever get old...

Trust me, it does...

Trust me, it does...

Well, to be fair to Wolfbite I think there is an exception for boats/carriers :) loading up vehicles onto a floating beach assault vehicle would be pretty good. :)

This could really introduce actual critical hits on vehicles!

ArmA is a milsim that gets alot of realism down, but the fact that it still uses an age old hitpoint system for vehicles is quite ironic.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

You know I think DM is right. It would probably have limited applications and lose its coolness factor pretty quickly; epseically with this never satisfied community.

It would still be a neat feature to have. If parachuting wasn't in the game and players simply fell to their deaths, and then BI introduced it in a new ArmA, i'm sure it would lose it's coolness factor too :)

But it's always nice to have more stuff for mission editing. I can see some nice Police action going on if I could have a sniper shoot out of a blackhawk hovering above a building with a bunch of enemies in it :3

I don't think so. Giving covering fire from a SAW or so while landing with a Little Bird would prove invaluable.

And why would such a useful thing ever get old? Did it get old to shoot tanks with AT weapons?

Things like fastroping would get old because they are so awful slow and who wants to wait 2 minutes in the chopper until he can get out while it is under fire?

That and the few actually useful applications of fastroping or repelling in general that would be deemed necessary in the game. Most of the time I've ran into fastroping with ArmA2 (ACE in particular), people were just doing it for the sake of doing it. Granted I like it available for when you actually DO need to use it, but it isn't a must have, even now since most of the time you can just designate a more convenient LZ.

I wanna say one thing - learn BIS how it should work in simulator, sorry, i mean REAL simulator. Without this it's just sandbox tactical shooter.

Edit: don't let this topic die! ;)

It reminds me of the damage modelling used in a game called "Theatre of War", one of those Battlefront.com games developed by 1C. It's a beautiful system that takes almost everything into account:velocity, angle, ammo type, etc, and there is a variety of different outcomes: an Armour Piercing Composite Rigid round through the engine may result in a big fire, while a HEAT round through the front plate may kill the commander and the gunner, while leaving the driver and most of the systems intact.

Had a lot of fun with it and it's just too good to be true to see this in ArmA.

Wile it would be nice to have accurate damage modelling I think it would leave a far few people disappointed, because then the tanks etc like in real life would be easy to disable so they just become a stationery target or defensive position, so you would quite often find yourself in a position of having a tank etc that is in >90% condition but missing a track only capable turning in circles or zigzagging down a hill (that’s if it’s not stuck in a ditch etc or the little wheels on the trackless side haven’t sunk in the ground!)

Myself I would much rather see more accurate vehicle ground physics, so 2wd cars & bus in Arma # are no longer more capable off road than tracked vehicles or a match 4x4/6x6/8x8 vehicles (which also best tracked vehicles off road), then perhaps add the effect of wet/dry/hard/soft ground types so 2wd vehicles are useless away from hard roads and tracks etc, AWD vehicles have reduced grade ability and a slower speeds on wet days away from hard roads and tracks etc, and tracked vehicles have a modest change in grade ability and speed on wet days away from hard roads and tracks etc, then perhaps have catch all type marsh by pools etc.

But perhaps we should wait for BIS’s TKoT/TKoV (TaKe on Tanks/vehicles) for that. :)

But perhaps we should wait for BIS’s TKoT/TKoV (TaKe on Tanks/vehicles) for that. :)

No need, they are allready implementing detailed vehicles physx and boggy grounds will be possible in ArmA 3 :)

I completely agree, a thousand times. I am sick of shooting a car's engine with a .50 cal, aiming to disable it, only to have it suddenly burst into flames a few seconds later, killing everyone inside. It's not just tanks, it's every vehicle that should at least have things like engine, fuel tank, crew, ammunition compartment, transmission, and wheels/tracks modeled.

No need, they are allready implementing detailed vehicles physx and boggy grounds will be possible in ArmA 3 :)

Maybe, but i am not expecting any massive advance like you would expect with TKoT/TKoV or they are doing with TKoH, but I do hope they take the basic premise of 4x2 etc cars and bus/lorry being worse off-road than 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 vehicles which in turn are slightly worse than tracked vehicles off-road.

Damn! some simply online tank arcade game have a realy good damage system, but Arma! greatest mega realistic Mil sim, cost lot of money, not a have this F8ckng system, this can been realizen in 2000 year... /facepalm

I completely agree, a thousand times. I am sick of shooting a car's engine with a .50 cal, aiming to disable it, only to have it suddenly burst into flames a few seconds later, killing everyone inside. It's not just tanks, it's every vehicle that should at least have things like engine, fuel tank, crew, ammunition compartment, transmission, and wheels/tracks modeled.

Anti-materiel rifles destroy engine blocks now, as seen in the new gamescom video.

super, but with ace mod you can even now disable car shooting at his engine. The biggest problem is that bis devs don't show ANY interest in damage system.

You may want to check more of the videos before making accusations, in one of the demonstration videos it was clearly shown that shooting a vehicle in the engine would stop it.

Edited by NodUnit

How about increasing the amount of hit boxes on vehicles?

Instead of one big hit box, 200 or more little hit boxes and the ability to link them to effects and other hit boxes.

Effects like "if hit by 9mm then -0% of hit points", "If hit by 120mm then -20% of Hit points"

Like, lets say my m1 gets hit.

My tank gets hit in the front right turret site, this has effects in decrease armor (lees HP in this small section)

my aiming device and thermal/nvg gets dmgt.

If i get hit a second time in the same spot, penetration gunner is dead commander dead or wounded.

This penetration/armor value thing is a wet dream of every milsim user but how many time and ppl would be needed to get it done and what kind of resources on the user computer would be occupied by this system.

What if we take what arma has(HP/hit box) and try to make it look like real and use what we have.

The World of Tanks game has a similar ballistics / velocity / aim point / hit point damage model.

How about increasing the amount of hit boxes on vehicles?

Instead of one big hit box, 200 or more little hit boxes and the ability to link them to effects and other hit boxes.

Dude, it's more than 1 big box already and different penetration for

a vehicle is also there since ages (Tires, tracks, windshield, turret etc.) ,soon even engines.

Wow, that is truly one of the most impressive things I've seen in a video game/simulator. How possible is a similar but perhaps slightly simpler system in ArmA 3? 20%? 10%? Or is this a job for a mod?

Edited by Pvt_Ryan