Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Detailed component-driven damage modeling.

I think this is another large topic, deserving of its own thread rather than a simple idea for feature.

The best way for me to describe detailed component-driven damage modeling is to simply show this video:

BzpUVtVUBTI

I'm sure that anyone not already familiar with the concept is now a firm convert :) I just think it makes so much sense to do this stuff, moreso this than visual damage modeling even.

I'd be interested in other thoughts and inputs on this, but mostly I'd be interested in the devs really going to town on this :) I think it's one large area that can be massively improved and will add so much more to the game than mere coolness. It adds, for one thing, accuracy benefits.

DMarkwick - am afraid , this will be only in our dreams :(

I have seen that the devs do read these threads, and even take notice :) and, lets face it, more so than almost every other feature this is one that we would truly love to see.

Even if, for the sake of development time and initial release playability, it's only possible but not implemented. Then the modders can get to work :)

Getting rid of the stupid hit-points lod, in favour of using the components in the fire geometry, would certainly be a huge step forward!

I wholeheartedly believe this would be the best possible thing to introduce to the game.... The Hit points system is way past its use date.....

Abandon the Hitpoint system its really not what Arma deserves

yes i agree, the hit points system is way past its use-by date. i really think a poll would be useful against this thread.

Edited by Ebolavirus
typo

I would love to see that kind of damage model.

A system such as this would make missions and campaigns dedicated to a tank crew not only pheasible but very immersive. Imagine if it were linked to a maintainence feature like in TOH, which would make your tank a labour of love.

I imagine the developers of Battleground Europe spent a VERY long time working on that system though, would it be practical for BI to do the same? Perhaps a simpler system would suffice for ArmA 3?

This would make ArmA about 300% better, frankly.

Love to see a similar damage model on infantry units.

The model used in the MoW:AS is more simple (the others games in the series had it more complex) but it works aswell.

Anyway, agreed with OP.

I also agree . Although I know we wont see it in arma 3 .

Edited by Maio

Hell, I would wait another year for an improvement like this.

Would this also allow the simulation of proper body armor? Not that I think we will get something like this for real, just asking.

This would indeed be sweet, but wont happen. :(

I wholeheartedly believe this would be the best possible thing to introduce to the game.... The Hit points system is way past its use date.....

Even more than entirely eliminating the warping?

This would indeed be sweet, but wont happen. :(

Even more than entirely eliminating the warping?

Warping? Sorry not too sure what you mean by that?

At the very least we need a penetration-based system with component and crew damage determined by probability.

Let's just keep this to one topic please :)

As for "it won't be implemented", well, there were once people who insisted that ragdoll would never be implemented. I've seen too many miraculous developments (not just in games) to discount something so..... ArmA3ish. If any feature would make the most impact, surely this would be it :)

Even if BIS doesn't implement this, I hope they could expose it to modification by the community.

Would be great but I don't want to think of the CPU hit :(

Edited by EDcase

Let's just keep this to one topic please :)

As for "it won't be implemented", well, there were once people who insisted that ragdoll would never be implemented. I've seen too many miraculous developments (not just in games) to discount something so..... ArmA3ish. If any feature would make the most impact, surely this would be it :)

It's more not getting my hopes too high, it would be a kick ass feature, but there are other things that are more realistic and/or more important.

there are other things that are more realistic and/or more important.

There is hardly anything more realistic or important than a decent component-driven damage engine :)

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Would be great but I don't want to think of the CPU hit :(

Not much of a CPU hit IMO, the major problem will be obviously implementation of the new system. All calculations are done once per round, then it's a matter of implementing the result.

Even if BIS doesn't implement this, I hope they could expose it to modification by the community.

It already has been thanks to the handleDamage event handler. ACE has used this to create a more realistic damage system that does away with hitpoints.