Sign in to follow this  
160thSOAR

New Player Q&A Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

This thread is for new players to ask any questions they have regarding either SP or MP gameplay.

You may not ask any questions related to editing, add-ons, or mods in this thread. That belongs in a different forum. I also suck with computers.

You may not ask any questions like "how do I get through this SP mission?". Those belong in the "Official Missions" forum.

In this thread, you may ask questions about:

1. Navigating the game menus such as the map. You may also ask questions such as how to find default missions.

2. Gameplay advice, such as how to fly helicopters or how to use the lines on an ACOG.

Any people who know the answer to someone's question may post an answer. If you have a different answer, you may post that as well. I do not, however, want repititions of the same basic answer, just worded differently.

After a player's question has been answered, I will post something like:

[insert Player Name Here]'s Question ANSWERED

Here's a very useful guide. The sections marked with ACE2 are related to the popular mod Advanced Combat Environment 2, and do not apply to normal ArmA2/OA. It's still interesting to read them though, and can give you a taste for what the amazing ArmA2 modding community can do.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

I recommend the 7th Cavalry Tactical Realism server. It runs a game mode called Domination 2. I find Domination 2 immensely fun, but I also think it's good for new players to learn the MP ropes after they know the basics.

Domination 2 is a coop game mode that puts you and your teammates against a large number of AI. It revolves around taking a large number of AO's(Areas of Operation), along with completing optional side-missions to get bonus vehicles.

As for why I think it's good for new players....

1. There's a "revive" option. After a player is killed, they will start rolling around on the ground yelling things. Other players can revive them by walking up close and using the action menu. Downed players can also be dragged and carried. The good thing about this is that it makes friendly fire less of an issue, as you can revive people you accidentally killed if you can reach them. Especially when you're new, accidents are bound to happen.

2. You have access to a large number of weapons from the ammo crates located at base. You can experiment with different loadouts and find out what you like best.

3. There's a large selection of vehicles at base as well. Although you should know basic vehicle handling before you enter MP, you can learn the finer points of a lot of different vehicles. Just watch other players who know what they're doing and imitate them, and also ask for advice whenever you need it.

4. The server isn't nearly as chaotic as most public servers are. You can reach capable admins via TS3 at almost all hours of the day. The air vehicles are strictly controlled so that people who just jump in and crash them will be kicked.

5. All OPFOR vehicles are locked. In my early days of ArmA-playing, I made the mistake of jumping into OPFOR vehicles way too often, and got friendly AT units lighting me up all the time. You simply can't do that in this server, and it will save you a lot of pain, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Other things about the 7th Cav server.

1. Get TS3 and join their TS3 server. It makes playing much more fun. It can be confusing at first, however. Don't be afraid to speak up if you need something. The TS3 Info is on a sign in front of the helicopters, and you can always ask someone for it.

2. You MUST be on TS3 to fly. This is to coordinate the aircraft more efficiently and make sure there is a proper ratio of pilots to units on the ground. People who are not on TS3 WILL be kicked if they do not comply to the rules after being warned twice.

3. Don't fly the UH-1H Wreck Chopper unless you know exactly what you're doing. The UH-1H is a 2-bladed helicopter that is painted dark green and has skids. It is used to pick up the wrecks of bonus vehicles and bring them to the repair pad. Under no circumstances is it to be used as a transport chopper.

4. If you hear people talking about things like "Buffalo 1", "Grizzly 1", and "Hog 1", don't be afraid to ask what these mean. They're callsigns of the aircraft for more concise communication. The numbers are dependent on how many aircraft of that type are in the air at the moment.

Here are some of the callsigns.

Buffalo 1 - MH-60 Black Hawk

Grizzly 1 - CH-47 Chinook

Raven 1 - MH-6J Little Bird

Hog 1 - A-10 Thunderbolt II

Snake 1 - AV-8 Harrier

Raider 1 - AH-64 Apache

Infidel 1 - Close Air Support Coordinator with Laser Designator

If you want more information, just PM me.

DONE. You may now post.

Edited by 160thSOAR

ok.

What is Ace I keep hearing about, or is it ACRE? what are they and why do I need them?

Black fluffy outlines on trees, lamp posts hill skylines, how do I get rid of them?

Game keeps freezing and speakers go bzzzzzzzzzz any ideas?

Where do I get missions )co-op to play with)

Why cant I join any mp games, says I have deleted content or something.

1. ACE is a mod for increased combat realism. ACRE is a mod for increased radio realism. They're both popular, but hardly necessary to play the game. Plenty of people don't use them. Hell, I haven't used my ACE in like a month.

ANSWERED

2. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Screenshots would be helpful.

3. Try running the game as an Admin and making sure your firewall isn't blocking it.

4. Go to the "User Missions" forum and ask in the Mission Requests thread.

ANSWERED

5. Make sure they aren't using mods you don't have. That's usually the cause. If you have OA or CO, try joining the 7th Cavalry server I recommended. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what's wrong.

Hopefully someone more techno savvy than I will be able to help you though.

I played single player with ace ( using six updater) and I could never get passed certain parts of the game in boot camp and the game kept crashing in the arma 2 campaign. When I deleted ace via su everything was fine. Is ace compatable with single player? ( I did enjoy the gameplay experience with ace it was a shame.I'm now using arma 2 launcher but not used ace again but maybe it might have been the su?

This may sound silly but what does " next waypoint mean" and when would I use it?

Thanks

Ace its not so good choise for single player. Ace can broke sp missions and campaigns. You can find missions/campaigns that are Ace compatible.

I played single player with ace ( using six updater) and I could never get passed certain parts of the game in boot camp and the game kept crashing in the arma 2 campaign. When I deleted ace via su everything was fine. Is ace compatable with single player? ( I did enjoy the gameplay experience with ace it was a shame.I'm now using arma 2 launcher but not used ace again but maybe it might have been the su?

This may sound silly but what does " next waypoint mean" and when would I use it?

Thanks

ACE and single player aren't very compatible. The Armory seems to work okay, but the rest of it is very glitchy. Use ACE for MP.

ANSWERED

Next waypoint is a command that directs the AI to move through that point en route to a final destination.

ANSWERED

Unless you're asking about something programming related?

Very new to Arma 2

I would like to use my binoculars some, but nothing happens when I press "B"

I assume I need to shoulder my weapon but dont know how. Any help would be appreciated.

You shouldn't have to do so. Maybe you've changed options or you just don't have binoculars. It's very basic, but I can't tell you anything more advanced.

Perhaps you're seeing night vision goggles and thinking they're binocs. The NVGs tend to be on the left side slot of your gear, while binocs are on the right slot. Access NVGs with the N button and binocs with the B button.

You do not need to holster your weapon to access binocs, and they are not in the weapons menu like a LAW, Satchel Charge, or Laser Designator.

I'm thinking maybe the mission(s) don't call for binocs, maybe? I was able to use nvgs in a mission yesterday. Well thanks anyways, I'm sure I'll stumble over it someday. I trieda server tonight and didn't have a clue, I was able to join and move around but couldn't seem to get into battle. I could hear other players (on the radio etc) but they couldn't see my chat/ typing etc...so I'll do some more research and try again. It was the AusArma server/ domination etc.

If you press B, you should be able to access your binoculars. Chances are you weren't carrying any.

People might have seen what you said, but not cared to respond. Domination servers are infamous for their lack of coordination. Try joining the 7th Cav server (filter for 7Cav). Make sure to download TS3 and join their server.

Also, it's usually a good idea to join a clan. Take a look at a few and pick the one you like best. Check out the 97th Ranger Regiment at 97thrr.org. I'm a member.

@ 160thSOAR

Thank you for this great topic.

I'm very new to Arma II (I only played OA so far had it a couple of days, will install the main game soon), and very new to PC gaming in general.

I really love the way this game immerses you. Ive played a few other franchises which seem like toy games in comparison to this.

I'm really keen on playing some MP as I can imagine this game really shines in that context. The most MP Ive played is a few hours on some racing games.

I have a few questions though:

1. I'm new to all this. In other words, I'm not very good yet. I intend to practice in SP to get better, but would still like to join a squad and start dipping my toes in MP. However, the game itself is more simulation than arcade, and all of the squads Ive seen do understandably seem fairly serious about playing.

Would any squads welcome newer players with less experience and lower current skill levels? I really want to find a friendly community to play in where serious fun is paramount and players of all levels are welcome. Am I likely to find that type of environment?

2. I have a family, and work 2 jobs. I play when I can, but can't always commit to playing at certain scheduled times - do more casual squads exist where people in similar situations are welcome? I get the impression from the few squads Ive looked at that theres not much point trying to join unless you can make more solid commitments time wise

3. I assume a microphone is needed to enable better co-operation with teammates. I play in my living room with a projector and wireless KB and mouse. Not strictly an Arma question but do you know of any wireless headsets that are recommended as good quality yet not too expensive?

Edited by subvertbeats

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to this.

CoD, Halo, and all of that do seem like toys after playing this. Battlefield too.

1. I know there are communities like that out there (I think tangodown.nl is something like that), but I don't know any from the US. But as for being not so great at the game, I haven't encountered any squad yet that insists on skill as necessary. Most squads just demand a willingness to work as a team and a willingness to learn.

2. I have a very odd schedule myself. I haven't actually been able to go to any formalized operations yet, and I've been a member since March/April. I think the key to what you're looking for is a squad with a lot of members, as the more people there are, the more likely there will be people around at the times you can come on. The 7th Cavalry has a lot of members and even at freaky times like 3:35 in the morning people are usually on their server. I don't think it's really necessary to join a squad at first if you're just looking for fun. There are servers out there that use teamwork on a regular basis; you just have to find them.

3. No. I play with built-in laptop speakers. I'm very cheap. :/ My brother ruined the last microphone I had, and I don't intend to buy a new one any time soon. If Logitech makes any microphones, you might want to consider one of those. I'm not sure about the cost, but Logitech makes very good products as far as I've seen.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks again - and your reply was definitely fast enough - I'm still trying to stop crashing choppers in training :)

I found the TG community, and Im going to start there, seems like it fits my situation pretty well.

Hello fellow gamers,

I am a new member to this forum & also a new PC gamer. I've had my eye on ARMA series for a while and finally got around to buying a good laptop (ASUS G74SX) to handle this game. I will be playing this on my down time while in IRAQ (MOB 24JUL).

Anyways, I need some help with setting up my controller configs. I bought the Logitech PC Gamepad F310 & I am having trouble setting up config via on screen options. Upon entering control options, I can not custom or change gamepad settings... It only lets me change the PC keyboard settings...

How can I edit settings for external gamepad settings?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and hopefully I posted this in the right place, thanks.

Hi, my question concerns the Arma 2 folder in Documents, since it can get big what do I really need in there to keep SP progression?

Hi all, i have a question about steam version of arma 2 CO. I am purchased my copy of arma CO in steam yesterday, and after installation i have two arma folders - arma2 folder and OA folder. And now how i should install mods and unofficial addons? I should put mod or addon in a arma 2 folder or arma OA folder?

P.S Sorry for my bad english.

Edited by umpo

All of these questions are rather off-topic, and I have no idea how to answer the top 2. As for your question Umpo, an easy way to get started with mods is to download 6Updater. Search for it and find the latest version. It's a cool little program that downloads and organizes all your mods for you. Even I can use it, and that's saying something. I'm awful with computers.

Folks,

Question re different ammo types for infantry weapons:

How do you swap from 12G Slugs to 12G Pellet magazines for the Saiga shotgun? I've tried 'Reload' which just reloads the same again if available and Mode Switch 'F' but neither change the load type.

Cheers,

Dreadnought1

If you are carrying both 12G Slugs and 12G Pellets, you should be able to use the scroll wheel menu to reload the different ammo types. There should be an option saying something like "Reload 12G Slugs" and "Reload 12G Pellets". Just click the one you want to reload.

Hi guys, playing now for a few weeks only. The voice chat guys told me the default SS key was F12. Is this right? i carn't see any reference to taking SS's in the manual.

My next question is, when you take a SS where the frig does it end up?

Thanks in advance,

r.

If i'd know what you mean by SS, maybe i'd be able to help.

The F12 is the default key for switching from first to second page of the units under your command (if more than 10 are there).

I guess SS means screenshot.

If you use steam you can take screenshots with F12 or F11, not sure.

If you dont use steam download fraps or some other tool.

Second question does not need an answer.