Sign in to follow this  
FillaFillason

new to arma 2.confused about all the realeses..

Hi. i bought arrowhead and reinforcements by mistake. i was supposed to by reinforcements and combined forses. if i by armed assult 2, i dont need combined forces then? i can play all the mods as if i had combined forces? sorry about the bad english, not my best language

Correct I think. If you buy ArmA2, install it first, then install Arrowhead you should be good to go.

If you're using Steam, you can install either Operation Arrowhead or Vanilla ArmA2 first.

Hi. i bought arrowhead and reinforcements by mistake. i was supposed to by reinforcements and combined forses. if i by armed assult 2, i dont need combined forces then? i can play all the mods as if i had combined forces? sorry about the bad english, not my best language

Its "Combined Operations", not "Combined Forces" ... and it is all really confusing.

One more proof that the addon/bundle politics has been a total failure. :(

Jup and mods too, I can't stop thinking about Arma 3 cause I know it will be half done like arma 2 was and it will be very hard for people to menage 1000 bits of the game and linking it all together..

Also, if you own Reinforcements, you don't need Operation Arrowhead. The only thing you lose are the O. Arrowhead SP missions and campaign, but it's not like that will entertain you for very long - user created content is where it's at.

So, Arma 2 + Reinforcements and you're good to go. All the content minus OA SP missions.

Or Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead (the same as Combined Operations). A2 + OA content and campaigns + DLC units with low-res textures minus DLC campaigns.

And this list might help you (or confuse you even more).

Edited by Hedo

I thought Reinforcements didn't have some of the full OA features and only had lite US Army troops?

I thought Reinforcements didn't have some of the full OA features and only had lite US Army troops?

Yeah I'm pretty sure Reinforcements has OA lite, meaning low quality textures and such + no campaign.

Thanks for the answers. im not using steam, bought them on a norwegain online store. get arma 2 in about 3 days, im using the time untill then by trying to learn the game, im very impressed this far. compared to others action rambo fps, need i say more..

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

And thanks Hedo, that pritty mutch told me exactly what i was wondering about:)

Jup and mods too, I can't stop thinking about Arma 3 cause I know it will be half done like arma 2 was and it will be very hard for people to menage 1000 bits of the game and linking it all together..

My Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead launch experience (day 1, I started the download at exactly midnight CET of the release date):

1. Run Sprocket-downloaded setup.exe
  2. Leave the install folder alone as it has automatically selected my Arma 2 installation folder
  3. Run the installation
  4. Change my shortcut so that it points to the new arma2oa.exe file in my root folder
  5. Run the game, play the campaign, mess around in the editor, play some MP

What is it with people and thinking that such a process is so difficult? Hell, with the DLCs they now even launch automatically without having to add a -mod=BAF;PMC parameter to your shortcut, but even that is done in the shortcut it creates after each time you install either DLC.

I think you guys need to start putting even just a tiny bit of effort in if you expect something in return.

Edited by Zipper5

I think you guys need to start putting even just a tiny bit of effort in if you expect something in return.

Nope. You are trained to fiddle with the stuff, you already know what you´re doing (most of the time i reckon).

What were seeing here is essentially the same as with Maddox and Simbin titles, too many single releases (or re-releases) which should´ve belonged all together in the first place. It´s no wonder people are getting confused and in some cases also frustrated.

For instance take this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ARMA2_PackageCombination

You could write a diploma about that page :butbut:

Dear me, thay wiki page was like looking at Algebra .

I remember when i got into all that and it was just Arma1 ... and then some mods. That alone took up enough time to work out, to think back to how I was with it then and have all those options to work around I dont blame anyone to do some chin stroking for a while.

guys if you can't read a chart, you shouldn't have passed grade school. It's not rocket science...

guys if you can't read a chart, you shouldn't have passed grade school.

We did anyways, of course some smart... guys always do better, but wth :rolleyes:

It ain´t the understanding of charts aspect which is wrong, it´s the fact that you need to look at such in order to comprehend what you are supposed to do.

You can´t tell a steam guy who loves steam for it´s easiness that suddenly he needs to make ways finding out how to run a damn game right, the foremost thing he prolly wanted to avoid by going steam - and then this is only the steam section of the whole issue.

ArmA2:OA:Lite:BAF/PMC/Free/RFT is too late now to fix, let´s just hope it doesn´t happen again with A3.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Reinforcements has OA lite, meaning low quality textures and such + no campaign.

No, Reinforcements has all OA hi-res units, but no campaign.

Read this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1893412&postcount=6

I just don't understand why is this fact so well "hidden". I couldn't find it on any official page or shop page.

guys if you can't read a chart, you shouldn't have passed grade school. It's not rocket science...

Missed point completely :j:

ArmA2:OA:Lite:BAF/PMC/Free/RFT is too late now to fix, let´s just hope it doesn´t happen again with A3.

Hey, I was one of the people that said OA should NOT be standalone. Let's hope BIS doesn't standalone the expansion for A3...

You have:

ArmA 2 (The main game)

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead (Standalone DLC)

ArmA 2: Combined Operations (ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead together)

ArmA 2: Reinforcements (ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead DLC)

Just buy ArmA 2: Combined Operations (ArmA 2 + Operation Arrowhead) and ArmA 2: Reinforcements and you'll have everything.

You have:

ArmA 2 (The main game)

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead (Standalone DLC)

ArmA 2: Combined Operations (ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead together)

ArmA 2: Reinforcements (ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead DLC)

Just buy ArmA 2: Combined Operations (ArmA 2 + Operation Arrowhead) and ArmA 2: Reinforcements and you'll have everything.

This ^

the autodetection for A2:CO (OA detection A2 install) is scheduled for 1.60

so that will sort one headache....

unfortunately for the original poster, he needs to have either RFT+A2 or OA+A2 or CO to play on Combined Operations servers

the autodetection for A2:CO (OA detection A2 install) is scheduled for 1.60

so that will sort one headache....

unfortunately for the original poster, he needs to have either RFT+A2 or OA+A2 or CO to play on Combined Operations servers

What would sort all of our headaches is one of two things:

A2: Free works with OA to form CO

AND/OR

OA only copies cannot see CO servers. This would save so many people from getting the "CAWheeled2/CAWheeled_LAV25HQ", etc errors. Really why does this not happen to begin with?

What would sort all of our headaches is one of two things:

A2: Free works with OA to form CO

AND/OR

OA only copies cannot see CO servers. This would save so many people from getting the "CAWheeled2/CAWheeled_LAV25HQ", etc errors. Really why does this not happen to begin with?

that will be addressed in future hopefully so wait for 1.11 ...

and the OA/RFT vs CO problem most likely may fit into 1.61

Maybe OA only users could use A2 FREE and use that to make a lite Combined Operations.