Sign in to follow this  
SGT_2AD

US Army dumps berets

Thank god! The berets are so impractical and gay looking. I don't want to look like I'm in some European country's military or a mime on the streets of Paris.

I don't see what was so wrong with the patrol cap. Who doesn't like a baseball cap design that actually keeps out the rain and sun of your eyes? Or what about the winter patrol cap with the ear things?

Hi all

So they are now called the "Green Baseball Caps!"

Hmm...

I think not.

I would be a bit wary of calling peoples uniforms gay.

Never know who you might bump into in a bar.

Kind Regards Walker

Hi all

So they are now called the "Green Baseball Caps!"

Hmm...

I think not.

I would be a bit wary of calling peoples uniforms gay.

Never know who you might bump into in a bar.

Kind Regards Walker

I used to be in the U.S. Army and wore my beret for 2 months before I ETSed. Wearing a beret in hot a$$ Texas is impractical. Many that I served with also commented on the beret was gay looking, trying to looking like some solider from Europe or trying to all special forces looking.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

Can you wear a PRR with a patrol cap on? Looks like it would be a bit awkward.

gay looking

Do you mean as in homosexual or just looks bad lol?

Edited by STALKERGB

Another old tradition thrown into the bin. Well im sure that the european armies won't follow that tendency...I can't think of a field or formal uniform without a baret. Since our's werre black we wore them even in field duty especialyl at night. A non combat uniform without beret is not complete.

Another old tradition thrown into the bin.

Well no, the article says the beret will be kept for ceremonial duty, but the patrol cap will be used for day-to-day jobs.

Not that the yanks can wear the beret properly, tho they do a better job than some people...

The US Army style of wearing a beret looks pretty daft. The patrol cap suits your combat uniforms better.

If you styled berets 'properly' it may look better but I don't think your cap-badges (forget what you lot call them) really lend themselves to being worn on a Western-European style beret.

Another old tradition thrown into the bin. Well im sure that the european armies won't follow that tendency...I can't think of a field or formal uniform without a baret. Since our's werre black we wore them even in field duty especialyl at night. A non combat uniform without beret is not complete.

Elite units will continue to wear colored berets. They are just getting rid of the general use black berets, which really isn't much of an old tradition in the U.S. Army (it started in 2001).

The US Army style of wearing a beret looks pretty daft. The patrol cap suits your combat uniforms better.

If you styled berets 'properly' it may look better but I don't think your cap-badges (forget what you lot call them) really lend themselves to being worn on a Western-European style beret.

It's called a flash.

Personally I like the U.S. Army overseas cap and the German WWII style overseas cap. Actually a few of my buddies like the latter the most.

0102-722-6_195x200.jpg0102-722-5_195x200.jpg

Can you imagine instead of the baret you substitute the black overseas cap with the service uniform? That would look off the hook.

http://www.usm.edu/news/sites/default/files/ROTC%20Hester.JPG 168 kb

Edited by W0lle

Elite units will continue to wear colored berets. They are just getting rid of the general use black berets, which really isn't much of an old tradition in the U.S. Army (it started in 2001).

It was used by the 75th long before that.

It was used by the 75th long before that.

I guess you missed the "general use" part. Rangers switched over to tan berets when the Army adopted the black beret for everyone in 2001, and Rangers will continue to wear tan berets now.

actually the army is keeping the Beret. It will just not longer as the primary headgear. It will be up to the commander when it will be worn with class c uniform.

US Army berets have always looked stupid anyway. Some daft overly modern looking badge on them with a weird rigid looking shape.

They're not proper berets like:

ethos-and-beliefs-2.jpg

I guess you missed the "general use" part. Rangers switched over to tan berets when the Army adopted the black beret for everyone in 2001, and Rangers will continue to wear tan berets now.

I don't need a civilian to tell me about the history, wear, and appearance of the beret, thanks.

We have some of the most stupid headwear going i think, bearskin caps, household cavalry.. I know its tradition but man it dont half look like silly. The Romans & Spartans had pretty cool headwear like a helmet with a mohawk hairstyle on the top, thats cool but serously wtf is this silly thing, we coulda come up with a BETTER hat.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00798/bearskin_798548c.jpg

We have some of the most stupid headwear going i think, bearskin caps, household cavalry.. I know its tradition but man it dont half look like silly. The Romans & Spartans had pretty cool headwear like a helmet with a mohawk hairstyle on the top, thats cool but serously wtf is this silly thing, we coulda come up with a BETTER hat.

I absolutely love that bearskin. But when you run...

I don't need a civilian to tell me about the history, wear, and appearance of the beret, thanks.

Could you show me that part of my post that gives you a lecture on the wear and appearance of the beret? I'm having trouble finding it.

My whole point was simply that having black berets as a part of the normal (non-Ranger) Army uniform is a relatively new thing. Are you disputing that?

I had a U.S. style beret once.

It had this great big bit of cardboard sewn into it to make it a funny shape. Sort of like shoulder pads for your head.

As it happened, I quite liked it, but you need a big showey badge on it or it looks wrong.

The US Marine style of cap is the best. At least it looks military with the faceted high sides. The Army cap just looks ordinary.

Grumpiest post of 2011? :)

The guards wear the Bearskin because it was what they stole off the French grenadiers as they defeated them. The reason American berets look stupid s because no-one bothers to tell you how to mould them properly... lol...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_qoSLahAbUL-O-jMPHeYchf3yVftTIKDxmTRBUti2hTXbBVIwdxVYq26N THAT is how berets should be worn, and looks ally as fook.

The guards wear the Bearskin because it was what they stole off the French grenadiers as they defeated them. The reason American berets look stupid s because no-one bothers to tell you how to mould them properly... lol...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_qoSLahAbUL-O-jMPHeYchf3yVftTIKDxmTRBUti2hTXbBVIwdxVYq26N THAT is how berets should be worn, and looks ally as fook.

Let me quote the forum rules:

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

*sigh* I don't see how this is relevant enough to justify digging up a thread that is older than a year.

Closing, thread starter knows where the key is.