Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Are people stupid or uninformed?

Don't know where to put this.

I have many MP maps playing in Takistan that also require Chernarus-stuff.

In the server description I include clearly visible, maybe in fat big letters, "requires Chernarus" or "requires original Arma2" or something like that.

Nevertheless all the time people who do not own Chernarus try to connect. Since I am using the addon enforcer by Deadfast, those who do not own Chernarus are thrown out at their connection attempt. Nevertheless of course the WHOLE chat window is spammed away at once by what original or custom mods the connector has/not has plus three lines for "connecting,connected and disconnected".

[1.] Do many/most people who only have Arrowhead do not know that there exists another main Arma2 part? Maybe there should have been (or was there? - can't remember) an ad inlay in the OA-box that there is another Arma2 part. (Personally I can't understand how somebody who owns and likes OA can not have Arma2 as well - no, I do not have too much money).

[2.] Are people more/only interested in Takistan than in Chernarus because the undercover war for oil has been the top topic in news and media since 2003? Are people artificially iraqi- and afghanified?

[3.] Do many/most Arrowhead-only owners not know what "original Arma2/Chernarus" is? Can't they handle and interprete such a server description? Maybe this is related to question 1.

[4.] Are people too stupid/lazy to read the server description in two seconds before they hit the connect-button?

Off-topic:

I still consider the fact that OA is a standalone to have been a wrong decision. It even artificially devides the no-custom-mod-users into two incompatible factions. At least OA should have contained all units, weapons and objects of Arma2 except the Isles.

Further, as suggested before, there should be a threefold chat window:

* one tab for system messages only (those that are independent from any scripted globalChat), including server command responses (#userlist etc)

* one tab for human player typed chat

* another tab for everything else (scripted chat and such)

* maybe a fourth tab where you can chose (multiple choice) which of the other tabs are displayed in it

* tabs must be up and down scrollable to keep all text that happens and tabs must automatically jump to the latest line when new text appears

So you could keep track of all kinds of chat without missing anything, since a single failed connection spams away everything that can never looked upon again once it has gone.

Edited by RogueTrooper

CO lite should be available soon with A2F

CO lite should be available soon with A2F

did anyone actually confirmed being able to use A2F with OA?

Maybe they cannot read the required addons in the server information, must be going blind

@PuFu

I talked to Dwarden yes.

thank you, good news then...maybe now the MP will be less....devided

@PuFu

I talked to Dwarden yes.

Is there somewhere a official statement for this? Not for me, i trust your word. It's just for spreading it in other forums/communities aswell to have a link to show it's really true.

we get it lots on our server and it sometimes dysnc's the server when it has to kick them :(

I think its understanding the icons on the left next to the server on the server list where people have the problem.

We will just have to wait and see. It is obviously not yet available.

So you could keep track of all kinds of chat without missing anything, since a single failed connection spams away everything that can never looked upon again once it has gone.

Actually if you hit / to open you chat you can then scroll up and down through it using page up and page down.

Just thought I'd throw that in there...

[4.] Are people too stupid/lazy to read the server description in two seconds before they hit the connect-button?

one word. Yes

many have a combination of too stupid, uninformed and lazy.

some have faith or hope aswell, maybe it will work, and tries..

or they simply dont care, take me for instance, when i join a server, i do not ever think of the ingame chat showing my mods and connect attempt, even if i have some mods active and is wondering if they allow them on the server, it is basically never a topic in my mind, and i asume many feel the same way, or i am truly special :)

@Indieboi918

hah, nice tip, never knew that, will deff try that out.

I still consider the fact that OA is a standalone to have been a wrong decision.

I agree that this is the root of the problem. I suspect this is a marketing decision, however. Giving away the early version with the later edition is a slap in the face to early adopters and the faithful (I would not be offended personally, but many people, by human nature, probably would). It would also give people a wait-and-see attitude whenever a new version/edition came out. They will wait to see if they can pick up 3 standalones for the price of one. The hardcore Arma faithful will buy up every expansion, and the standalone is to entice new users to the game.

However, given the wild differences in pricing of Arma through various channels (download versions, online sales, used resales) it is often very easy to find cheap copies of the older versions (ArmaII). Another problem may be the reported issues (?) about integrating ArmaII with standalone OA. I am a newcomer to Arma and bought CO because is made no sense to just buy OA from the point of view of price and flexibility.

Edited by MissionCreep

People are just outright retarded IMO

I'll be on Chernarus playing Warfare (Combined Ops) and I get a bunch of OA only users trying to join. Then you see stuff like "Missing content... Chernarus, CAWheeled2, CAWheeled_LAV" and stuff like that. But it doesn't stop there, the same people will try to reconnect thinking that their OA coppies will all of the sudden magically download content from ArmA 2.

I too was one of the people that thought OA should have been an expansion rather than a standalone expansion or it should have had A2 Lite in it to begin with.

I'm hoping PvPScene is right in the sense that A2F will work with OA to make combined ops... if so that'll fix the whole OA/CO split with all the OA only dummies herping a derp and not being able to take two seconds to read a damn server description.

I often wonder why so many people would try to join a server with ACE running, when they didn't have ACE installed for themselves. Even more ponderous is when they reconnect 5 more times.

I think that in those cases you can assume a casual gamer has grabbed the box, thrown the game on, jumped into MP ... and blasted all servers showing up with much confusion.

I still think that OA being standalone has opened the door to confusion too, not just that people are ignorant or thick or anything.

And not just that people are ignorant or thick or anything.

Plus its not that you will always find people are ignorant or thick or anything.

Not every case will it be that people are ignorant or thick or anything.

Best not assume that people are ignorant or thick or anything.

... hmm, why is that message repeating .... I will try to post again *clicks post again*

Best not assume that people are ignorant or thick or anything.

Wierd. :mad:

Edited by mrcash2009

I often wonder why so many people would try to join a server with ACE running, when they didn't have ACE installed for themselves. Even more ponderous is when they reconnect 5 more times.

Not everyone knows what ACE is.

Not everyone lives and breathes Arma and knows everything.

Not everyone knows what ACE is.

Not everyone lives and breathes Arma and knows everything.

I think those people think "Ace" stands for something different and therefor they try to join these servers because it fit's with their "1337 5k1lls". ;)

But this could be solved easily by not writing just ACE but A.C.E. Addon in the Servers description.

Hello all

Frustrating though it is, you can't blame the uninformed or unintentional mod spammers.

I often play on yellow tagged servers, sometimes I get in sometimes I'm booted.

I occasionally get booted firstly due to my custom skin and so disable it and try to reconnect. Again, sometimes I get access and sometimes not.

Now, if a2 etc had a better system for detecting compatible games and better feedback for both user and server, we would all be that little bit happier.

Yes, there are folk who are new to the game who try again and again to join due to lack of knowledge rather than outright stupidity, but remember a2 etc can be very daunting to the new player,, so don't judge them too harshly.

If the situation really is intolerable then play on passsworded servers.

Anyhoo, its just a Game and a bit of text spamming or desync isn't the end of the World.

That's my two pence worth.

Rgds

Lok

Hello all

Frustrating though it is, you can't blame the uninformed or unintentional mod spammers.

Actually, I can and I will.

Here's a picture in the server browser of one of my community's servers:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1695/arma2oa2011061415442971.png

Not only does it say "COMBINED OPERATIONS" right in the title, but in the expansions area at the bottom it says:

ArmA 2;ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead;etc

So you can take 2 seconds to read the server mods and see that it has ArmA 2 and OA running on it, meaning if you just have OA, you will be lacking content.

Hello there.

I understand your point. But combined ops is also a phrase which could be missleading. One could think it refers to the mil term. And or a gametype.

I'm Not trying to be difficult.

Rgds

Lok

Maybe they just reconnect to see what the error message again so they can go look for the needed addons. But then again maybe they are just stupid. One thing I have found after many years of OFP and Arma is that even if you make it idiot proof people will still surprise you. So it's best to not lose too much sleep over it and realize it is just the nature of the beast.