Sign in to follow this  
hitmanre

Just bought ARMA 2 Combined Operations!

Hi guys im new to the forum and ARMA in general. Ive played OFP Cold War Crisis before it was pretty good i liked the editor, u think any of yall can point me in the right direction of whats good im ARMA 2? Or what I should do in the game and so fourth or is there any good mods?

Thanks guys!

ACE is the most popular mod, ACRE is great as well. But what you really want is to join a fun squad to play the game with. :)

Maybe play around in the campaign a bit to get the hold of the basic controls, than join a clan and head to the real arma II experience.

But before you load a ton of mods on (as good as its is ACE would be included in this) learn the vanilla game first. Go through the in-game training, get the game running how you like it and then spend some time on a good MP server.

THEN download all the mods to hearts delight......

It will make life much easier....

Welcome Hitmanre,

Yep, as said above. Get used to the game without addons first. Do a few of the built in missions and get as far as you can with the campaign ;)

Try a bit of MP but keep in mind that most servers are public and a bit chaotic. You won't get to see how good it can be until you join a group and play as a real team.

Edited by EDcase

Don't make the mistake of thinking that any single MP mission fully represents the game or its multiplayer. All missions are separate entities with very flexible scripting possibilities.

ACE is the most popular mod, ACRE is great as well. But what you really want is to join a fun squad to play the game with. :)

This is terrible advice. Play it without mods first, fiddle in the editor, then try some unmodded online, coop might be best to get used to it early on.

THEN, when you have an idea of what YOU think the game is missing, then go looking for mods.

hitmanre: you're welcome to try any of my islands for A2/OA.

And the most important advice: never install mods to \addons folder :) instead make for example:

@hitmanre_islands\addons in the game folder and then select it from Expansions menu to activate it (enable option & restart).

First things to change (after a foray into the vanilla game) would perhaps be sound / graphics mods. In my opinion they add to the game without putting on 'realistic' restrictions.

Check my sig for links to threads related to mods and addons, but, as you have only just got it, I wouldn't over complicate things right away with mods.

Get used to things first, maybe add things like sound mods or graphics improvements over time, but AI / conversions like ace, maybe leave for a while and just get used to it all vanilla. I dont think I introduced any addons with Arma when I first got into all this for about 2-3 months if memory serves.

thanks for the reply guys, any of yall down for some co-op on arma SP vanilla? ive been dying to try this out with a mic since im fairly new to ARMA, it feels a lot like OFP CWC tho same dev?

yeah, the same developer who made OFP CWC made ARMA and ARMA 2. Bohemia Interactive.

I have to join the vanilla first crowd.

Hi All

What Celery said^^^

And Yes as Phantom Six points out BIS developed and own the game engine for OFP. Codmasters got the name in the divorce and nothing else.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi guys im new to the forum and ARMA in general. Ive played OFP Cold War Crisis before it was pretty good i liked the editor, u think any of yall can point me in the right direction of whats good im ARMA 2? Or what I should do in the game and so fourth or is there any good mods?

Thanks guys!

Did you buy the DLs of ArmA2 and ArmA2OA? If so, can you please tell me in detail how you were able to get the CO to work?

I followed the BI instructions but it did not work. (i am not computer-inclined so help would be appreciated)

:)