Sign in to follow this  
barret

Server os' !

I have a Unix Business Package at Saturn services. I'm not so sure about windows servers, but I know that Saturn services was the first comapny I saw that had a Unix server have more features than a windows one. biggrin.gif

The funniest thing of all was when this "Anti-UNIX"

website or whatever changed it's server os to Windows..

And the site was down for a couple of days.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ May 22 2002,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The funniest thing of all was when this "Anti-UNIX"

And the site was down for a couple of days.<span id='postcolor'>

Haha, I herd that Microsoft funded an anti-unix site. What I don't get, is that there are more window's servers in the world than unix, why tell people not to use it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ May 22 2002,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The funniest thing of all was when this "Anti-UNIX"

yup..another corporate propaganda gone dumb tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ May 22 2002,10:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ May 22 2002,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The funniest thing of all was when this "Anti-UNIX"

Haha, I herd that Microsoft funded an anti-unix site. What I don't get, is that there are more window's servers in the world than unix, why tell people not to use it?<span id='postcolor'>

cuz UNIX servers tend to be better...although WIN servers are easier to use, I heard that good admins tend to use UNIX for it's efficiency and high capability. Also, there are no loyalties such as copyright for programs to pay..most are available on web for free.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ May 22 2002,10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ May 22 2002,10wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ May 22 2002,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The funniest thing of all was when this "Anti-UNIX"

Haha, I herd that Microsoft funded an anti-unix site. What I don't get, is that there are more window's servers in the world than unix, why tell people not to use it?<span id='postcolor'>

cuz UNIX servers tend to be better...although WIN servers are easier to use, I heard that good admins tend to use UNIX for it's efficiency and high capability. Also, there are no loyalties such as copyright for programs to pay..most are available on web for free.<span id='postcolor'>

How come Linux is free, but windows server software cost money? mad.gif and I thought unix (Linux) was better? sad.gif

oh, and Sun-Solaris is Unix, it was a poll error.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ May 22 2002,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How come Linux is free, but windows server software cost money?  <!--emo&mad.gif  and I thought unix (Linux) was better? sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Linux is free cuz whoever made it gave it out as open software. meaning that he wanted ppl to use it for free. Windows is made by a company(MS) so it's not free

UNIX/LINUX is better in the way that you get more direct communication with your hardware than windows and icon-clicking windows. I really am no expert at both, but from my short experience with UNIX, I'd say it;s a better OS for networking.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ May 22 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ May 22 2002,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How come Linux is free, but windows server software cost money?  <!--emo&mad.gif  and I thought unix (Linux) was better? sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Linux is free cuz whoever made it gave it out as open software. meaning that he wanted ppl to use it for free. Windows is made by a company(MS) so it's not free

UNIX/LINUX is better in the way that you get more direct communication with your hardware than windows and icon-clicking windows. I really am no expert at both, but from my short experience with UNIX, I'd say it;s a better OS for networking.<span id='postcolor'>

What about sun solaris? I hear thats easy, and it has a browser administration

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Linux is free cuz whoever made it gave it out as open software. meaning that he wanted ppl to use it for free. Windows is made by a company(MS) so it's not free<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the open-source developers, the guys with the GNU

project, put it somehow like this:

With "free" we mean freedom, not price.

They mean open source code when they say "free".

Actually, it is more accurate to call Linux "open-source"

than to call it "free".

There are companies that put Linux on CD with manuals,

and then sell it.

Red Hat Linux, which is maybe the most popular distribution,

can be bought, and then it comes with manuals and customer

support.

But you can also download it, including the latest version,

for free and install it if you know how to do it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">UNIX/LINUX is better in the way that you get more direct communication with your hardware than windows and icon-clicking windows. I really am no expert at both, but from my short experience with UNIX, I'd say it;s a better OS for networking.<span id='postcolor'>

UNIX/linux systems have graphical administration tools, too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about sun solaris? I hear thats easy, and it has a browser administration<span id='postcolor'>

Solaris is a UNIX implementation, AFAIK.