Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Helicopter flight model from TakeOnHelis

Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?

• YES: I'd like realistic mode option.
    • NO: Leave flight model as it is.

Btw. regarding island size, you are forgeting that island isn't the only playground for a plane, you have plenty of sea too :D

In a recently published interview with Ivan Buchta I note this snippet:

We only consider allowing the player to experience the helicopter flight model from Take On Helicopters based on the game difficulty.

Which sounds to me like the ToH FMs might be implemented at least partially, and linked with the difficulty setting.

In reference to X52 issues. Just use the programming software for the main stick movement (set it to mouse), then set rudder and throttle with in game settings.

Minimal deadzone issues on rudder and throttle, no deadzone issues with main stick as its treated as a mouse input.

If you improve one of the simulation aspects (helicopters) other fields of the simulation must also be changed, to get the game "balanced" again. The TAB-Lock-Fire must be abandoned and be replaced with the real designation, laze, lock, fire for instance.

Its got a good FLIR view and can paint targets what it needs is A/A radar with a radar scan modeled and also A/G radar. Flir view needs ground stabilise in other words you should push lock twice 1st to stabilise the image in then you should easily slew the TDC onto the tgt. This stabilised image should also be added to the M1, LAV etc gun sights as they probably can do that IRL for engaging tgts moving and whilst on the move. Although further detailed modelling would have to include a TGT gate size and the ability to increase and decrease the size of the box.

Oops, was going to point out same quote from interview mentioned by DMarkwick

Edited by EDcase

In reference to X52 issues. Just use the programming software for the main stick movement (set it to mouse), then set rudder and throttle with in game settings.

Minimal deadzone issues on rudder and throttle, no deadzone issues with main stick as its treated as a mouse input.

I can confirm this works, but there are some issues. Setting manual trim seems less effective with it... and if you use windows 7, keep your profile names really short and simple or else you will get BSODs.

I can confirm this works, but there are some issues. Setting manual trim seems less effective with it.

Well i dunno how to set manual trim, nor know exactly what it does, i just put it on auto in ToHPreview.

Well i dunno how to set manual trim, nor know exactly what it does, i just put it on auto in ToHPreview.

It sets your current controls position as the new zero. So if you're giving it hard left antitorque rudder and left and forward cyclic to keep it in level flight, you hit set manual trim and you have to do less controls juggling.

It sets your current controls position as the new zero. So if you're giving it hard left antitorque rudder and left and forward cyclic to keep it in level flight, you hit set manual trim and you have to do less controls juggling.

Yes, you can use manual trim to give you a rest from constantly maintaining the tail rotor, which can be particularly useful for those flying with mouse and keyboard, leaving your hands relatively more free.

Speaking of which, we've just updated the Com Prev with some small fixes, like the feet moving in response to pedal adjustments.

Best,

RiE

Yes, you can use manual trim to give you a rest from constantly maintaining the tail rotor, which can be particularly useful for those flying with mouse and keyboard, leaving your hands relatively more free.

I think the "why a mouse and keyboard is better than a joypad" brigade have just been served.

I could live with the reduced accuracy with that set up, now where do I purchase one of those?

Sorry for OT but isn't the guy wearing a girls watch :D

(Thanks for the update)

Edited by EDcase

Sorry for OT but isn't the guy wearing a girls watch :D

(Thanks for the update)

That's probably not a guy... ;)

i bought toh to support BiS in making the same flight model in arma 3. toh is a civilian game and arma 3 is military, i will buy both games for the different style of game play involved. although if arma 3 doesn't have the toh flight physics i might hesitate because i am purely a helo pilot.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

And most importantly - you can't blow stuff up in Take On

Yes I can see how not adding Take On's flight model will completely make people who want to fly in Apache and blow tanks up go and buy Take On

actually that is inaccurate, you can most definately blow things up. there is ah6 and mh6 and huey with door gunner and rocket pods in addition to that, players can carry a hand gun with m4, m16 or ak47 and have grenades.

so does that mean that players of ToH won't buy arma3 because ToH is already the same game?

Why are you replying to a post from over four months ago?

Anyway, the TOH flight model has already been confirmed for Arma3.

Why are you replying to a post from over four months ago?

Anyway, the TOH flight model has already been confirmed for Arma3.

flight model or flight dynamics? just having the shell is kind of different than how it'll handle? i'm just trying to do some research into what will really be going into arma 3?

Flight model as in how the helicopter handles in the sky, not the visual 3D model of the helicopter. If that was your meaning.

honestly, I hope the startup & shutdown procedures and pre-flight check are included as well. Adds to the fun of piloting in arma 2, and would give you way more things to do while waiting at base for a pickup call (can inspect the helo etc).

honestly, I hope the startup & shutdown procedures and pre-flight check are included as well. Adds to the fun of piloting in arma 2, and would give you way more things to do while waiting at base for a pickup call (can inspect the helo etc).

I think BIS shouldn't spend time on such details in a, let's face it, an infantry-oriented game. FM should be enough with a possibility for modders to add cockpit interactions.

I'd rather see BIS improve AI, ballistics of missiles, add wind simulation etc

However I'm all for vocal/subtitle preflight checks and choppers not starting right away with 5 secs later them being in the sky.

This would be nice. I always thought that its kind of silly to have the heli in the air after half a minute...