Sign in to follow this  
Tisman

Still no 3d scopes?

I think they do need to (if possible). During the wobbly walk on CQB, it allows you to time when to shoot in order to hit (and the wobble can stay as hard as it is today). Currently you can't do that as the dot doesn't indicate where the bullet actually goes. Hence the collimator sights have really no advantage to iron sights. Hell, I'd even want to see them semitransparent (if user so desires, so - optional) to simulate both eyes open, due to the sight frame taking up so much valuable screen estate.

Collimator sights don´t work in Arma. There were some workarounds that were possible in A1, but they were prone to breaking depending on the gfx technology you used. In A2, they were completely impossible again.

So I myself am rather holding out for 3D scopes. Collimator sights probably will never work in Arma, and they don´t need to, unless headbob as in Arma 2 v.1 is introduced again.

With recoil acturally messing the sight picture AND accuracy, I think thats a big issus. Not that I am not happy with 3D scope but as far as function wise it still have less problem then reflex sight now.

I think they do need to (if possible). During the wobbly walk on CQB, it allows you to time when to shoot in order to hit (and the wobble can stay as hard as it is today). Currently you can't do that as the dot doesn't indicate where the bullet actually goes. Hence the collimator sights have really no advantage to iron sights. Hell, I'd even want to see them semitransparent (if user so desires, so - optional) to simulate both eyes open, due to the sight frame taking up so much valuable screen estate.

And this, this problem basicly make Reflex sight useless, so why bother to use them from the first place is beyond my understand. (I acturally shoot better in game using iron then any reddot.)

Having said that, eventhrough those "workaround" is bugged, I still prefer them then the current stuff we have.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Hell, I'd even want to see them semitransparent (if user so desires, so - optional) to simulate both eyes open, due to the sight frame taking up so much valuable screen estate.

-QFT

Stressing this once more. I really think that the visual obstruction created by the Red dots frame (especially Eotech) is destroying any joy in those sights. In Arma 2 I have completely dropped using aim points. This is such a shame. The problem is obviously smaller with thin framed holo sights, as displayed in the recent gameplay footage. But I would really like this feature fixed. The red dots loose all their meaning if they provide less accuracy and SA than ironsights.:(

EDIT: Playing Airsoft myself, Eo-tech is my favorite sight. I would really love for it to have the same utility ingame as irl.

Edited by Nielsen
Addition

Thats 2 different feature we are talking about here, 3D scope can be done by RTT with (might be huge) performance impact while the other is more about fixing glitch. If I would have to choose I will go for fixing the reflex sight first.

I know.

I was talking about the scopes in the first part of my post,(which apparently can be resolved with render to texture) and then mentionned the "broken" reflex sights in Arma 2. Of course they are completely different issues.

The reflex sights in Arma 2 are "broken" for two reasons:

-The one that you mentionned, that is that the dot doesn' t move inside the sights to indicate the correct point of aim.

-The one that i mentionned, meaning that right now it feels like you are using these sights while closing your left eye, resulting in the fact that for most of these they end up taking half the screen when aiming, so much that with the way it is right now i' d rather use an ak' s open sight for cqb over an eotech or an aimpoint because of the added screen estate, which is stupid.

No need to facepalm, i' am just using the same thread to talk about different but related (since we are still on the subject of sights) issues.

Hell, I'd even want to see them semitransparent (if user so desires, so - optional) to simulate both eyes open, due to the sight frame taking up so much valuable screen estate.

QFT. I' m all in favor of making them semitransparent to simulate both eyes open. By the way CarlGustaffa, i read a long time ago on the Arma 2 section of the forums that you were working on something to make the red dot and holographic sight frames semi transparent in Arma 2. Is the project still going on or did engine limitations stopped the project?

The problem is obviously smaller with thin framed holo sights, as displayed in the recent gameplay footage

Yes, sadly it seems that for the time being (Hopefully it will change between now and the game' s release) BIS chose to take the solution of facility and to simply model the red dot sight with pretty much the thinnest frame on the market to "fix" the problem of screen estate. This is not a real fix though as the problem will ressurface as soon as a mod will try to depict sights in wide use today such as aimpoints or eotechs.

Edited by Tisman

I just look at who posted it, if you know its someone who isnt retarded then you can be 100% sure its sarcasm. ;)

Nah, I was being super srs. Srsly. :cool:

Render to texture isn't cheap guys, it's practically rendering part of the scene over. For something as big as a scope (and rendering more, as it goes further) it'll take about the same if not longer to render out. Unless lods are batched, they won't help much.

Rendering the outside at a much lower res (free blur!) and reducing the distance of objects will help alot, you'll still have a higher performance impact than simply zooming in from arma2.

Render to texture isn't cheap guys, it's practically rendering part of the scene over. For something as big as a scope (and rendering more, as it goes further) it'll take about the same if not longer to render out. Unless lods are batched, they won't help much.

Rendering the outside at a much lower res (free blur!) and reducing the distance of objects will help alot, you'll still have a higher performance impact than simply zooming in from arma2.

And given that the zooming performance right now have already crippled by other factor, there is a chance that the preformance impact is too huge that RTT will be impractical.

By the way CarlGustaffa, i read a long time ago on the Arma 2 section of the forums that you were working on something to make the red dot and holographic sight frames semi transparent in Arma 2. Is the project still going on or did engine limitations stopped the project?

Uhm, I did? I can't remember that, and I also find it unlikely as I don't do addons. I'm mostly into missions, although I can hack other peoples addons to see what I come up with (for private use of course, and sharing findings/results).

Weird, i thought i saw a post of yours were you said that you were trying to achieve some kind of semi transparency with the red dot sights. I think that it was in a thread about somebody' s suggestion to make so that pressing right click would automatically switch to the primary weapon/ pistol in case that you had something else selected such as grenades or a satchel charge.

I might be confusing you with somebody else though, so don' t look too much into it. I apologise if that' s the case.