Sign in to follow this  
jamesp

Please change the name!

Should be TakOH (pronounced taco)

me likes

i'm weird then using OFP, ARMA and TOH ;)

Please promote TakOH by henceforth naming it so in other discussions :p let it spread. I personally will buy TakOH. Will go to the shop on the release day, stare the guy in the face and ask him for a TakOH. Then, while being dragged out of the shop by security I will scream: "I want my TakOH! Noooww!" Then will sue them for not providing the service that they advertise :p

i'm weird then using OFP, ARMA and TOH ;)

I also say "OFP".

Do other Dev's really care any longer?

There is a thread deep within the bowels of these forums in which it was discussed.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna type OFP in search option to find it!

It may cause a forums implosion.

I also like "TakOH/taco".

I work in marketing (not for Bohemia, mind) and TAKE ON HELICOPTERS is a good name for this product..

the Take On, if you look at it linguistically and psychologically is effectively issuing a challenge to a potential consumer, which is often going to incite a personal response that usually comes in the form of accepting the challenge, thus buying the game.

To be honest, the kind of consumer that's interested in Flight Simulators will be less interested in the name, "Flight Simulator X" is a little bland, not likely to grab the attention of someone in a shop, however FS sells well, Take On Helicopters is no different to this, and people who want this sort of game will probably buy it not matter what the name is, not once have I ever been turned away due to a game's name.

I mean, if name is going to push people away from buying a game, "Perfect Dark Zero" wouldn't have sold a single copy, it makes absolutely no sense, but it did sell copies, as will Take On Helicopters.

Also sometimes makes me think of "our take on helicopters" as in "our interpretation and understanding of what a heli sim should be"

Also sometimes makes me think of "our take on helicopters" as in "our interpretation and understanding of what a heli sim should be"

So, just for the record, the last two posts have 'won the thread'.

And, while I'm making ill-advised, troll-baiting expeditions into such threads, TakOH does indeed make us wish we'd created a Mexican-based helicopter game. ;)

Enjoy your weekend, and, finally... why haven't I seen a poll for the favourite acronym yet? :p

Best,

RiE

And, while I'm making ill-advised, troll-baiting expeditions into such threads, TakOH does indeed make us wish we'd created a Mexican-based helicopter game. ;)

How does Take At Choppers: Oaxaca sound like?

In a world where Nintendo can call their new console a synonym for piss and sell 86 million of it, I'm amazed that people can still think that names matters.

Edited by sparks50

So, just for the record, the last two posts have 'won the thread'.

yay! you can send download links to TakOH beta downlaod to vorobiev.a.j[at]gmail.com :)

I hope I didnt come off like Im making fun of the name when I said TakOH. It was a genuine acronym proposition, and I actually dig Take On Helicopters as a name. It just seems to fit somehow. And the acronym, I've just got caught up making up acronyms for some of the papers I wrote in uni: Formation of Laser Altimetry Measuring Satellites (FLAMeS, for my BSc thesis), and most recently Integrated Vehicular Accident Investigation and Reconstruction Framework/Comprehensive Crash Investigation Framework (IVAIReF/CCIF) :cool:

On the Take on Facebook, they seem to have always just referred to "Take On".

This is part of their last wall post 8 hrs ago.

Our goal was to expose those less familiar with playing games to TakoH, and evaluate where we might seek to improve our communication.

Soul_Assassin deserves a beer!:cool:

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

According to latest E3 streams, BI is now changing the name thanks to your insight.

This made me lol

You are all right and I was wrong. Take on Helicopters is a stroke of marketing genius. Taco or whatever your going to call it is even better! Carry on with whatever you were doing before I so rudely interjected.

Edited by jamesp

You are all right and I was wrong. Take on Helicopters is a stroke of marketing genius. Taco or whatever your going to call it is even better! Carry on with whatever you were doing before I so rudely interjected.

Hey no need for such clever sarcasm :D All we've established throughout this thread that not only are there people on this forum that think that they can dictate to bis what vehicles to make and in which year their games should be set, but also people who think that devs don't even have the right to pick their own name. How about you make us a game and call it Ultimate Reality Army War Analyzer aNd Kansas Etiquette Revision. And hey what u know! The acronym practically writes itself :)

Out of curiosity, give us your top 5 suggestions.

Thanks

Wait was the Taco acronym your handiwork as well? I am in the presence of genius yet again. I digress.

Hey no need for such clever sarcasm :D All we've established throughout this thread that not only are there people on this forum that think that they can dictate to bis what vehicles to make and in which year their games should be set, but also people who think that devs don't even have the right to pick their own name. How about you make us a game and call it Ultimate Reality Army War Analyzer aNd Kansas Etiquette Revision. And hey what u know! The acronym practically writes itself :)

I think someone (not jamesp) is bitter over getting his arguments countered in a constructive and sound fashion. Good times.

flamebait. Not gonna take the bait. Good day gentlemen.

flame bait: n.

[common] A posting intended to trigger a flame war, or one that invites flames in reply. See also troll.

Edited by Soul_Assassin

Although I don't share james' misgivings about the name, I can see where he's coming from.

But, the more I live with the name, the more I like it. In English, the phrase has a number of meanings and that's usually clever in marketing terms. Credit is due to BI for getting this to work, especially when you consider English isn't the first language used in the shop.

It has room for expansion too. Where as some games are limited to adding a number to denote further versions, Take On has the possibility to become a brand, think Take On Submarines, Take On Carrier (AKA Carrier Command) and so on and so forth. You might even imagine the ArmA series becoming Take On Warfare.

Not perhaps, as I said to Soul in TS the other day, a work of genius, but very clever.