Sign in to follow this  
MoS

Render to texture - what are the possibilities?

So after hearing that RTT is now confirmed, I wonder if anyone can explain what this feature is all about?

I have next to no knowledge about graphic development, like many other people who can barely switch a computer on and off. So can you guys maybe explain what RTT is all about and what things and new possibilites this brings with it?

After all this seems to be a huge and widespread feature in the amognst current games :)

In vehicle monitors showing pictures of the outside of the vehicle. (Think reversing camera).

Wing mirrors showing wing mirror stuff.

Weapon optics can have zoom in center of screen while unzoomed for outer of screen, mirrors on vevicles can have views, images on computer screens, TVs, etc :) but the biggie I guess is zooming optics.

In vehicle monitors showing pictures of the outside of the vehicle. (Think reversing camera).

Wing mirrors showing wing mirror stuff.

Like Picture-in-Picture mode?

Wouldn´t that allow magnified scopes for use in the normal perspective like http://site.airgundepot.com/images/Randy/100yrd ?

EDIT: Oh DMarkwick already anwsered that! Wow thats cool! :D

Basically multiple render viewports

A monitor displaying outside of the helo for whatever purpose and your standard view.

We will have working Tv's, projectors, monitors, and probably other graphical effects for it, like being able to put your own face on your avatar using RTT.

Render to texture:

The basic models are wire-meshes with no real texture to them, this is then added in the form of an image layered on top of the mesh to add to the detail.

Now render to texture is the ability to capture or create moving pictures including live 3D in game onto those textures. Ideally used for mirrors and screens etc.

You could have your whole tank as a moving mirror in theory but It might kill your PC. One of your possibilities with it also.

Proper chrome UFOs etc.

In as simple terms as I might dare to put it, the difference between rendering and texturing is this: rendering is a dynamic process that your computer undertakes to develop the 3D world (models) and the application of 2D textures to said 3D world (amongst other things). The textures are themselves essentially static paint.

When you look at a piece of art, it, of course, is stationary. This is the texture. No matter if you twist and turn the MODEL, the paint doesn't move (in relation to said model).

Render to texture actually changes that. Essentially what is happening is that the 'hard' part of 'rendering' (think as if you were to create a model car) is turned into these static pictures. Suddenly you get a moving picture.

This hardly describes the process, unfortunately, but perhaps illuminates some of the underlying aspects of how powerful such technology can be. It can be used almost like television within a game; you have one thing 'recording' and sending it as a texture to an output node.

In many games you can be placed into the role of a different 'camera' (such as when you launch a remote recon drone in ArmA2), but what you're really doing is essentially transferring the 'spirit' (if you will) of course character to this alternate 'character.' No one else could see what you're seeing except by also 'transferring' their spirit. Now, you could have a camera monitor showing exactly what that recon drone is seeing without ever having to switch to some new view.

Ah I see. So it really is another form of a picture-in-picture mode like some TVs nowadays have.

How ressource heavy is this technology? Do you think we could have a, lets say Stryker interior, with several different monitors showing different things, like UAV cam, outside cam, gun cam etc. at the same time?

Having Black Hawk Down-like screen setup for High Command where stuff is shown from unit cameras with you being able to switch those cameras to fullscreen view will be really cool.

Like having some kind of mobile HQ with that

Weapon optics can have zoom in center of screen while unzoomed for outer of screen

We still don't know how/where we can use it though (ex: may not be supported for weapon proxies), so don't get your hopes up too high yet.

Hopefully BIS makes it easy and flexible enough, but I do expect there will be some limitations.

hopefully the devs consider to implement render to texture scopes, in the E3 video its still the 2D overlay and buchta mentioned not that this will be changed...

this will be one of the best new features if its implemented, lets hope :pray:

hopefully the devs consider to implement render to texture scopes, in the E3 video its still the 2D overlay and buchta mentioned not that this will be changed...

this will be one of the best new features if its implemented, lets hope :pray:

Well, hopefully if they do they make it optional. I don't really have a problem with the current optics and for something as critical as aiming, PiP/RTT optics only adds more variables.

We still don't know how/where we can use it though (ex: may not be supported for weapon proxies), so don't get your hopes up too high yet.

Hopefully BIS makes it easy and flexible enough, but I do expect there will be some limitations.

The most probable use is mirrors, and flir/cameras, as they've already shown these in VBS.

Ah so that is what RTT allows... Makes me very happy they added it :D

A good example of it's use can be see in the recent Take On trailer where you can see the monitor in the helicopter showing the image of what the FLIR camera is looking at while flying, and of course the mirrors. It should make the inside of heli cockpits interesting as well as many other things, even if not implemented entirely how we want it, the fact it's available will leave modders with a lot of options.

First off, a link to a nice lil' tutorial. In the beginning it does a pretty good job of explaining RTT: http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/render-to-texture

How ressource heavy is this technology?

Really, this is a weighty question as it entirely depends on implementation and circumstance. For example, what's being rendered at one time? We know ArmA has a draw distance (or has had in the past), so it's safe to assume we're not rendering outside of that. Chances are, though, there's drawing being done all the way to that mark. That's a lot, but systems can handle it nowadays (especially with more advanced techniques like LOD- level of detail).

Another question is, what sort of 'angle' are we drawing at? Is it a full sphere around your character for that entire distance? Usually games will draw what's nearby behind you in case you turn quickly- you don't want your computer to have to quickly load a gun in your face behind you! The distance may be minimal there, though, as well to the sides. This would create a sort of 3-dimensional teardrop of rendering space. Now I'm not TOTALLY familiar with this stuff and I'm definitely getting out of my territory now, so anyone with more experience please correct me.

With all these to consider, the final point would then be this: if you're rendering an entirely NEW scene from across the island, then it'll be far more costly than simply rendering the same scene that's already rendered with some postprocessing effects. Therefore, all this:

Do you think we could have a, lets say Stryker interior, with several different monitors showing different things, like UAV cam, outside cam, gun cam etc. at the same time?

Could be feasible. Remember though that these are all technically new scenes being rendered, and I'm not sure if you can actually share objects between rendered scenes.

If you wanted to have a command post that had camera effects from all across the island, though, that would be a much greater strain on the system.

A good example of it's use can be see in the recent Take On trailer where you can see the monitor in the helicopter showing the image of what the FLIR camera is looking at while flying, and of course the mirrors.

When I saw the FLIR monitor, I had to change my pants :yay:

Can we see that in a video or just in a picture? ;)

Guess not :D

RTT in Arma 2: rtth.th.jpg

Problem?

Man that picture really brings quite some atmosphere with it. I guess that feature would also help maintaining situational awareness. Oh boy hopefully our expectations won´t be disappointed... :pray:

Look at all that wasted space. With a simple 2D scope you have twice as much space to see what you're looking at.

Can we see that in a video or just in a picture? ;)

Guess not :D

I´d need about three days to... uuuh... "capture" and "edit" the footage, but sure :>

To be honest, it´s fotoflop, but I think it nicely illustrates how cool actually working 3D scopes´d be in Arma.