Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

Feedback to E3 Interview and Ingame Scenes

Very impressive!

I'm beer lifting in honor of Lord Butcha right now :yay: Splendid presentation, also TOH and CC wasn't convinced about those until now.

13025347208.jpg

ok another quick one coming for you

BIS are really some nice guys!

FRCyS8JZW54&hd=1

and now in full HD ;)

Just I find funny that while they shown...

...the mirrors in TKOH (..and A3):

We went: YEAAAAAAAAH!

Average gamer: Mirrors? So what? GP1 had them...

...underwater stuff (and SDV):

Average gamer: pff... phonies! COD did that before!

...Physx:

Average gamer: ????? Whats special?... WTF!? Are those crates floating?

...20km VD + a slider for objects drawn distance:

Average gamer: (thay don´t understand this, too big, too far).

...Dynamic weapons change:

Average gamer: SO WAT?

?

Before I get bashed to death, read my next post!

Edited by Smurf

Yeah, but if those things were included earlier we wouldn't have them to look forward to now, would we. :D

It would be just like COD, what progress is made.... better graphics..?

Im not saying that others games did it better\first. My point is: the average gamer just don´t get the possibilities that those little things can make in the game.

E.g.:

Scuba stuff in COD = 30s of heavly scripted motion

Scuba stuff in ARMA = epic missions, just to begin with...

Just I find funny that while they shown...

...the mirrors in TKOH (..and A3):

Average gamer: Mirrors? So what? GP1 had them...

...underwater stuff (and SDV):

Average gamer: pff... phonies! COD did that before!

...Physx:

Average gamer: ????? Whats special?... WTF!? Are those crates floating?

...20km VD + a slider for objects drawn distance:

Average gamer: (thay don´t understand this, too big, too far).

...Dynamic weapons change:

Average gamer: SO WAT?

?

LOL that pretty much hits the nail... *g*

But we all know that implementing features is a very hard thing to do in such a vast sandbox game, especially considering the limited ressources a common pc has and it´s need to distribute them to many different sections equally in ArmA.

If you think of a normal FPS, where every mission is scripted and every map is so small, that things like audio positioning, view distance, ballistics, ai pathfinding all play minor roles and you can actually divert all the ressources into graphics, then it is no wonder why we (the ArmA community) are so grateful for every little step forward BI does, although other games incorporate those features since years. :)

COD had under water cinematics but that was it, you had no control where you want or really what you were doing other than pressing a button at the end, no dynamic anything to it. And they call them "Average" gamer for a reason ;)

Edited by NodUnit

In the beginning of the BCD interview does it say "Powerful and Intuitive 3D mission editor"?

NEVERMIND

I guess I am a little behind...

Edited by bobtom

I was impressed by the video and pics from E3, the Physic's implementation even though when he shot the first guy, he kinda jumped into the air... Nice to hear him say the animation system is still the same but that it is being improved and nice to see Underwater and the mention of a full 3D editor

I a little disappointed with the physics, more specifically the rigid bodies and how they behave exactly like Half Life 2 with HAVOK. I thought that at least tanks would be able to crush more soft objects, but guess I had high standards; since I still to see particles not going to hold to much spectation to fluid simulation, too.

P.S.: Thats for BIS guys; I know everyone how use NV Physx is kind obligated to use cloth, but plz, dont, its just a stupid feature. (as in standards and banners)

Edited by vfn4i83

COD had under water cinematics but that was it, you had no control where you want or really what you were doing other than pressing a button at the end, no dynamic anything to it. And they call them "Average" gamer for a reason ;)

Haven't tried COD, but I think they could have done whatever they wanted to. In the end, isn't water just:

* Much less view distance - great way to reduce the culling work.

* Colored dense fog, that may vary with depth.

* Different physics values.

* Maybe different pathfinding solutions.

* Animations to suit.

To me it sounds like underwater could have a lot less strain on the system.

Something that comes to mind when seeing the video:

* Please let mission maker have options to limit accessories. I don't want to be forced to use a specific gun that doesn't have the options, but instead use a gun with all the options where the players just can't use them all.

* Animated or at least delayed weapon config changes. It's not instant.

* I would love to see HALO equipment as well as the scuba equipment.

* Masks that limit your view slightly, but without using (current) overlay system that blocks the GUI - I want it behind the GUI. Both diving and HALO oxygen mask.

I got tickled when Ivan said "my words are failing", I thought to myself...I would be too!

I think it was the cameraman who said it, not Ivan.

Yeah that was Colin, he also didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get away from their booth :D, could easily have been a "well here it is guys" or ask a few questions and a barge into the conversation "Well thank you for showing me this" but nope..

I'd like to applaud BI for being (relatively) clean and honest, not backing down and hiding things when he explained the video was broadcasting to us all, and that you shared some humor with him and us :)

Haven't tried COD, but I think they could have done whatever they wanted to. In the end, isn't water just:

* Much less view distance - great way to reduce the culling work.

* Colored dense fog, that may vary with depth.

* Different physics values.

* Maybe different pathfinding solutions.

* Animations to suit.

It is but comparing COD (recent ones anyway) to Arma would be comparing a hangar to a hallway, the scenes were auto driven and the only time you do anything is when you get out of the water or perform 1 action whereas Arma 3 has all kinds of possibilities.

Edited by NodUnit

To me it sounds like underwater could have a lot less strain on the system.

* I would love to see HALO equipment as well as the scuba equipment.

Fingers crossed, it looks awesome! Rocket is making HALO/HAHO equipment to be ported to A3 if not. I'm pretty sure there will be tonnes of underwater mods coming out. :yay: Arma 3 is a motivator.

The thing that sounded bad though is that SP campaign seems to be ArmA2 all over again.

I also really hope there will be no health-regen - what's with everyone and their dog having the mechanics that ruin every shooter these days.

I also really hope there will be no health-regen - what's with everyone and their dog having the mechanics that ruin every shooter these days.

What makes you think there will be health regeneration?

Only if you get the perk where it regenerates with direct contact from sun rays.

PMC was a bad sign

Look for the signs in BAF rather than in PMC :icon_twisted: