Sign in to follow this  
tsb247

Tanks with TROPHY?!

Yes BIS, Make Tanks Scary agian

Its then up on the Mission maker to balance their number

That's what I am hoping for as well. Tanks are supposed to not only be devastating on the battlefield, they are also supposed to be terrifying. As of right now, they aren't so much terrifying as they are inconvenient. A single well-placed rocket usually takes them out of commission, and the crew is usually more of a threat as long as you fire your rocket before the tank sees you.

If BI impliments Trophy or any other active defense system, tanks will finally be soemthing to be feared. I also like the idea of an anti-material rifle being used to disable the system. The Lynx would be perfect for that role!

What are you facing for tanks? some T90 survived several rounds from the SMAW when I played, and several also survived being hit by javelin.

What are you facing for tanks? some T90 survived several rounds from the SMAW when I played, and several also survived being hit by javelin.

Thats rather a rare event. Most of the time a single SMAW can damage one of the tracks and we all know that the AI immediately jumps out of the tank after it realizes that they are immobilized (that happens instantly)...

Thats rather a rare event. Most of the time a single SMAW can damage one of the tracks and we all know that the AI immediately jumps out of the tank after it realizes that they are immobilized (that happens instantly)...

I put up a mission where we had lots of at guys with SMAWS and javelins against a bunch of T 90s.

The soldiers shot as much as they could but the tanks almost didnt care and just started shooting(of like 6-7 tanks 1-2 was destroyed). I shot two smaw rounds on one tank and it survived and killed me.

I put up a mission where we had lots of at guys with SMAWS and javelins against a bunch of T 90s.

The soldiers shot as much as they could but the tanks almost didnt care and just started shooting(of like 6-7 tanks 1-2 was destroyed). I shot two smaw rounds on one tank and it survived and killed me.

I just put a T90 100m in front of me, shot a single SMAW on one of its tracks and... crew bailed out. Any questions? ;)

I just put a T90 100m in front of me, shot a single SMAW on one of its tracks and... crew bailed out. Any questions? ;)

yup, next time I meet a t 90 I run forward and shoot it with my machine gun.:D

That's the funny thing about Arma.

You really can kill a tank just by shooting it with an LMG.

I have killed numerous APC's with a stationary 50.cal in my Arma career.

:p

Its pretty ironic, I cant destroy it with at rounds but it does fine with MGs, whats in those rounds really:confused:

Killed many tanks and APCs with the AS50 as well, long before it became the norm in PMC.

Probably not even ten rounds into a specific track wheel and the crew bails out, I love getting to the nice mushy contents of a tin can and it leaves it in good nick for one of your own engineers to repair it.

If you really want to screw up a tank, sneak up on it and crawl underneath with a satchel, set to thirty and leg it.

Ain't no Trophy or reactive armour saving it then, unless the fly bastards have fitted it underneath too. :(

Killed many tanks and APCs with the AS50 as well, long before it became the norm in PMC.

Probably not even ten rounds into a specific track wheel and the crew bails out, I love getting to the nice mushy contents of a tin can and it leaves it in good nick for one of your own engineers to repair it.

If you really want to screw up a tank, sneak up on it and crawl underneath with a satchel, set to thirty and leg it.

Ain't no Trophy or reactive armour saving it then, unless the fly bastards have fitted it underneath too. :(

Guess you never stop learning things about ArmA... thanks for the hint with the AS50! Going to try that some time :D

I can just imagine crawling under a tank in Arma 3, and to my surprise there is a dwarf with a shotgun glued to the bottom...

Ain't nobody gonna satchel his tank.

.50 API will go right through most APCs, so nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, 7.62x54R (PKM/SVD rounds) can go through the flanks of early model M113s (and into the passenger compartment).

Probably meant MBT's like M1A1, T-72 T-90 etc. I wonder if there is any way that the new physics engine can help give way to better penetration with spalling..probably won't see that in default though but I still wonder..

Why would anyone be against making a SIM more realistic? If tanks are over powered in real life, then they should be over powered in game. The US tactics usually involve gaining air superiority. When is the last time you saw a tank shoot down an apache or an a10? So you will be fine... with air support. The game is going to be taking place in the future, so why not give NATO vehicles something like trophy as well (since they are working on it in real life).

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

I fail to see the good gameplay of this. Imagine large dynamic missions like Domination. There is a ton of tanks as the load on the server is easier than using regular men/squads. Currently (sadly) just about every player carries AT of some sort. And now we have to carry even more AT?

Or it becomes just machines against machines, leaving the infantry with boredom as they know they don't stand a chance. If it's in (which I doubt), I sure hope some thought to gameplay balance is considered.

Now I'm not a big fan of balance - as long as reasonable alternatives exists. Having to use mines (especially hand placed ones) and IEDs I don't consider a reasonable alternative. All things considered, it's still a game, and there needs to be flow if you want to entertain the players.

I see what you are saying with domination. IMO though, domination is in need of some editing. The AO's are too small... If whoever made it, made the AO's larger you can have the same amount of enemy units spread out, running patrols outside the small villages, and not get shot the moment you hit the ground from parachuting. The amount of enemies in one area is way to dense to be realistic...

Overpowered to an extent, normal procedure is to hit them with GROUPS of AT and in the tracks or engine, if you get the chance to ambush then fire from as many directions as you can to confuse the crew. Besides, trophy may be able to take out some AT weapons but it probably can't react to many at the same time from different directions.

I've been online a few times and every time people seemed to be all too eager to hit tanks any way they could, not bothering to take five minutes to sneak around...of course the most major problem with armor is the fact that they have radar whereas tanks in real life do not, so the crew ingame is always aware of nearby units without needing to track them. Thing is if this was removed and AI could be made to cope and work, then that would give the commander position that much more importance.

Edited by NodUnit

Perhaps the railgun-esque weapon is a counter to TROPHY? Assuming a rail-slug is faster and TROPHY couldn't keep up.

.50 API will go right through most APCs, so nothing wrong with that.

Depends on model, year, armour values (including secondary armour), angle of attack, ammunition, distance (velocity), where you hit and many other small factors. Most are protected on the front (frontal arc) of the vehicle for higher calibres (7.62, .50 cal, 14.5mm) upwards. At the end of the day most small calibre projectiles are just KE penetrators with no other factors....

Run a MK211 through an M107 and you'll see better results.

Or a SLAP through an M2HB.

Other than that, of course you can take out optical devices, any crew turned out, shove a round through any openings like hatchs, knock out the action of their secondary weapons etc.

The AI shouldn't bail with a wheel out of action, they should engage the threat then try fix it. No idea how that would work with tracks, bail, blow it and scoot? In Chernarus tanks used to scare 7 shades of sh*t out of me, but on Takistan it's so easy. Jav and scoot.

In Chernarus tanks used to scare 7 shades of sh*t out of me, but on Takistan it's so easy. Jav and scoot.

T-34's, T-55's and big flat open ground tends to do that, which is why a Merkava TROPHY Railgun tank will be....interesting, to say the least, to fight.

Perhaps the railgun-esque weapon is a counter to TROPHY? Assuming a rail-slug is faster and TROPHY couldn't keep up.

A railgun would definately move fast enough to get past Trophy. A railgun is the very pinnacle of KE weapons technology at the moment.

However, I am also in favor of using groups of people when ambushing a tank (as it should be). A traditional rocket system, if employed by an organized team firing from multiple directions at once could overwhelm the system as well.

Edited by tsb247
wording

A railgun would definately move fast enough to get past Trophy. A railgun is the very pinnacle of KE weapons technology at the moment.

That seems a bit of a certain statement without knowing the maximum velocity at which a projectile can be engaged with trophy. It also seems a bit moot because railguns fire kinetic energy projectiles, which I think has been established that trophy has trouble with in the first place.

Trophy needs between .2 and .4 seconds after a target engagement to engage a new target.

Railguns ain't going to happen for a loooooooooooooooooong time in the field, unless they start producing tanks with nuclear power plants.

Besides, reactive armours will stop the projectiles anyway.

Railguns ain't going to happen for a loooooooooooooooooong time in the field, unless they start producing tanks with nuclear power plants.

Besides, reactive armours will stop the projectiles anyway.

Im not so shore that reactive armor will stop railguns.

RPG-30 wins such a system. Please include it in the game too.

Im not so shore that reactive armor will stop railguns.

modern reactive armor that are designed to defeat KE projectiles as well as HEAT technically should work or at the very least diminish the effectiveness of the KE projectile from a railgun.

at the end of the day every single KE projectile be it fired from traditional chemical explosive or a railgun is the same thing, a fast moving solid projectile that transfer their KE into a concentrated spot on the target to pierce and penetrate it and produce damage to the internal either via sheer energy transfer or via spalling.

the reactive armor panel struck would detonate and distort the path and deflect the projectile preventing it from completely transferring the energy onto the same spot, or at the very least reduces it's effectiveness.

this doesn't guarantee it will stop the projectile, but it does increases the likelihood of the projectile failing to penetrate the actual armor.

Edited by Zepheris