Sign in to follow this  
tsb247

Tanks with TROPHY?!

TROPHY was not designed, nor needs, to stop kinetic energy weapons (SABOT, etc) as it has the tanks thick armor for that purpose. However, the Iron Fist system can intercept KE weapons.

Well in the context of the game, likely the answer to trophy will be a salvo of CE weapons or KE projectiles.

Even Chuck Norris can't escape the fart of death.

The A-10 is just too good.

Wait hasnt dark labour given it ARENA active protection system :P

TROPHY was not designed, nor needs, to stop kinetic energy weapons (SABOT, etc) as it has the tanks thick armor for that purpose.

Not really. Tank armor is much more effective at defeating CE than KE. The T-90 only has like 600m of equivalent armor vs KE.

The trick is that only other tanks use KE weapons at present.

Not really. Tank armor is much more effective at defeating CE than KE. The T-90 only has like 600m of equivalent armor vs KE.

The trick is that only other tanks use KE weapons at present.

The Merkava 4M has plenty of armor to defend it from local (regional threats) KE shells, the biggest threat against it is ATGMs and that's where the automatically reloading TROPHY comes in.

well they did chose a future battlefield scenery so yea that is somtin to think about. god it would make tanks frustrating as hell tho.

I'm liking this story line,

Several have complained recently and over the years about the US having "better shit".

Now we get our ass kicked in 2012.

An active defense system would be cool for sure. :) I have had various version of Arena for Arma2, just never implemented.

bFD1nrRGKOY

r46o_p3HDJs

Holy hell that looked awesome! If coupled with having an anti material sniper take out the detectors (to balance things out, and I've read it can be done), this would (ehh, could - needs to be tested for balance) be frigging awesome. Again, I'm worried about overpowering the tanks, although tanks feel artificially weak atm, with way too straight shooting launchers.

I'm all for making tanks harder to kill. I agree they are a bit easy except under a few circumstances where you'd just be shit out of luck anyways.

Yeah, I wanna be like "OHH SHITE A TANK" not "Hope the crew doesnt bail and kill me when i hit it with this rpg."

Remember when the tank crews with little AKS's where more deadly than most other units?

I watched the TROPHY explanation Video and now I have a question. Does this System also target birds?

Remember when the tank crews with little AKS's where more deadly than most other units?

Thats only because I'd walk up to make sure they were dead and then they'd hit me between the eyes... Either that or they'd go and cause havoc to a special forces squad!

Just thinking... Would Arena work against bombs.... Or would the bomb detonate after being hit?

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

I watched the TROPHY explanation Video and now I have a question. Does this System also target birds?

No the system recognises birds and small caliber projectiles and filters them out..

Just thinking... Would Arena work against bombs.... Or would the bomb detonate after being hit?

With Fully working Arena system , it can destroy bomb before it hits the tank

Trophy/Arena systems don't work good against tank rounds aka anti-armour kinetic energy penetrators

Edited by RobertHammer

I think to be fair being hit by the trophy/arena will wess up a KE penetrators angle and possibly end up rendering it innefective against the armour anyway...

Those KE projectiles are 20kg and have a fairly low diameter. It seems unlikely.

I think to be fair being hit by the trophy/arena will wess up a KE penetrators angle and possibly end up rendering it innefective against the armour anyway...

Only Iron Fist is effective against KE penetrators since it basically slices them in half or deflects them enough to make them loose their forward kinetic energy.

A bird is unlikely to be flying at the speed of a HEAT threat. And if the system can distinguish between a shell or rocket and a piece of flying concrete or shrapnel, then ignoring flesh and feathers should be no problem at all.

Yeah, I wanna be like "OHH SHITE A TANK" not "Hope the crew doesnt bail and kill me when i hit it with this rpg."

That's what I am hoping for as well. Tanks are supposed to not only be devastating on the battlefield, they are also supposed to be terrifying. As of right now, they aren't so much terrifying as they are inconvenient. A single well-placed rocket usually takes them out of commission, and the crew is usually more of a threat as long as you fire your rocket before the tank sees you.

If BI impliments Trophy or any other active defense system, tanks will finally be soemthing to be feared. I also like the idea of an anti-material rifle being used to disable the system. The Lynx would be perfect for that role!