Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 3, E3 Coverage (reveals)

Try the ingame action call - "I'm wounded" - IIRC its press key 5 and then 4.

If your buddies are teamplayer they will have an eye on you and help you. But if you only do you own lonewolf rambostyle - don't expect any support.

Dude, I am, read the post above yours.

I'm sticking by my men and I'm getting tked by people saying they've been calling out for several minutes. Its either that or being ignored.

All because I'm in a different squad.

You can call support via 5-1-X IIRC, you send your GPS position and the corresponding message over the network. Chances will be that your teammates do not listen to you. Bots with a corresponding MEDEVAC Vehicle and a support waypoint will answer your call and try to get to you.

Dude, I am, read the post above yours.

I'm sticking by my men and I'm getting tked by people saying they've been calling out for several minutes. Its either that or being ignored.

All because I'm in a different squad.

How will dumbing down help idiots help you then?

If they ignore your cries for help regardless?

Also what Kylania said

Your complaints are about players here, not about the game. Don't confuse one with another.

Play it with a bunch of unorganized Rambos that think this is some clunky buggy Battlefield clone - and suffer.

Play it with a nice bunch of teamplayers who want to have fun and understand that fun comes through a teamwork in this game - and you will never see any of that stupidity.

The 5 - 4 thing won't work, because that only broadcasts to Group members. Almost no missions retain groups through respawns and even less even use groups properly. Everyone just tries to do their pilot-sniper-specops-AT combo. :)

Then again, this comes back to my point of playing the game with people who have situational awareness. A good medic in a multigroup team should be on the lookout for concentrations of fire and checking with squad leaders if any of their team is down.

That ties into the 'playing with the wrong people' thing. If you don't have squad leaders passing on information about their squads to people who need to know (command, medics, air cover) well, then you're playing a shooter and not a sim.

Read my post again, I was indeed spamming the hell out of text/voice.

FYI, I was mostly killed by infantry, with more than one occasion being satcheled....

Also, going on EU servers like KH tends to bring in people that don't speak english sometimes. RED = ENEMY seems to win with that.

Also keep in mind tanks are meant to be VERY user friendly. Tanks can be driven by tractor driving farmboys for a reason.

That's a problem caused by playing with random strangers on the internet.

What do you expect the game to do? Flash a giant "FRIENDLY" sign above your tank?

If people are going to be morons, you can't do much about it without holding their hands.

I wonder what the new animation system will be like, how it will be different from the current one, what new possibilities it will open up, etc.?

Hopefully much more fluent and realistic animations. No more 'clunkyness', no more animations that are incorrect or very poor.

That's a problem caused by playing with random strangers on the internet.

What do you expect the game to do? Flash a giant "FRIENDLY" sign above your tank?

If people are going to be morons, you can't do much about it without holding their hands.

This also translates into AI.

I can easily prove it.

Go to editor, and make two units, both one side, BUT NOT SAME GROUP.

Make the player a random infantry unit, the other "medic" class.

Make player get wounded (fall off a roof) and walk up to the medic.

Spam "wounded" all you want, they wont help.

I'm sure this works in real life too, i mean not helping a wounded comrade like that happens all the time im sure.

Add a medic. Create 'SUPPORT' waypoint.

Use support menu to call him whenever you wish. He will find you anywhere on the map too.

Problem solved.

Medics not helping dudes from other squads is due to the annoying "exploit" in OFP where anyone could make the AI medic from another squad busy at any time even though the squad leader may have needed him for something else like putting down some fire on baddies.

So it was changed to how it's now.

Who cares if you put them into different squads in the editor? In the proper missions with AI medics you always have AI medic support

Edited by metalcraze

Now that the fuzz passed I want to ask:

We were supose to see all that we saw or Mr. B. knew too late that a camera was coming and it was LIVE ?

Asking because the presentation was BCD....

Seriously? 5 pages because a guy:

A) is in the wrong server with the wrong people

B) is unable to use a chat + map markers which is waaay better for interacting with human players then the command menu

Here i was trying to find out if there was any news on the third day of E3 but nooo let's bitch about """""flaws"""" <sarcastic faces> in ARMA2 games design comparing it to BF 2 in the ARMA 3 section in the E3 thread, makes perfect sense

Edited by Uglyboy
rephrasing

I think it was a matter of Ivan not having anything to lose (or not much to lose lol) by allowing Colin behind the door to see ArmA3, and with all the dev activity on this forum it probably wasn't a surprise to him and didn't want to disappoint our uppity community lol. It wasn't like the other booths where EA and the likes are tight lipped about a new game with press only access with NDA's out of the wazoo. BIS has been fairly honest about their game even before E3 though the details were a little vague, a lot which have been cleared up by the gamespot visit. It was just a matter of demonstrating an early stage build you probably didn't want out in front of the booth where a unsquashed bug would give passerby's a bad first impression, especially since while it was in segments, it was still a live demo and not just a video.

Edited by Steakslim

Confirming universal recognition system of RED = ENEMY/GREEN = FRIENDLY, is too good for ArmA/ArmA2.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

HOW THE HELL IS THIS TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

I disable an enemy vehicle, KILL THE CREW, I fix the enemy vehicle, I use it as my own, I HIJACK THE DAMNED VEHICLE.

I USE SAID VEHICLE AGAINST THE ENEMY.

Everyone on my team then STILL THINKS THE TANK IS ENEMY BECAUSE I AM HIGHLIGHTED RED, EVEN THOUGH I AM FRIENDLY.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking you may have teamkilled me once because this idea is so foreign to you.

Right, the game is touted as a military sim yes?

Now say you captured and used an enemy tank for real, you radioed in and carry on your business.

You approach some friendlies, but guess what? not everyone has had comms so now you are in an enemy tank that wont even have the clue of your name up in red for all to to see.

You are probably most definitely about to be fucked up by a friendly tank, air support unit or AT soldier.

How do you think it is going to end up in a real wartime situation?

BIS are leaving that very real risk in the game.

Normally any captured unit that is used is given the correct insignia so to reduce the risk of being wasted by another friendly.

I bet you don't complain that you can use captured enemy vehicles as Trojan Horses though eh?

Besides the enemies don't know that it's an enemy tank either.

I used enemy vehicles to infiltrate the base or drive past the outpost because I was treated as friendly to them.

It's great that ArmA gameplay is based around the real wartime logic.

It isn't Battlefield. You have Battlefield for Battlefield.

the game already looks stunningly beautiful :eek: I guess I'll just be exploring the Island for a while when it comes out :)

Really nice find, better image, better presentation and some new info...

@Part 2: he says something about melee combat @2:27 ?

Underwater caves.... (how underwater waypoints will work?

@Part 3: 100 AIs fighting, pretty smooth....; HC in campaign; No coop campaign; better tutorials (ingame videos dor training?);

Sadly no moving arms in wheels, no rivers = AI sucking at crossing bridges and the tab-lock continues...

Edited by Smurf

Really nice find, better image, better presentation and some new info...

@Part 2 he says something about melee combat @2:27 ?

Sadly no moving arms in wheels and the tab-lock continues...

He says naval combat, referring to the boats. We may still have moving arms on wheels, as the new animations haven't been finished in this demo, so cross your fingers.

I think ArmA III looks extremely great already. Thank you BI for adding practically everything I could have ever asked for. Especially the physics integration is amazing!

I hope you have fixed the AI warping in large coop games too.

Sadly no moving arms in wheels, no rivers = AI sucking at crossing bridges and the tab-lock continues...

The new animations are not yet included so there is still hope. As for tab-lock -- yeah that's a bit disappointing but I trust the modding community to fix things.

Btw, its a small thing, but in these videos, there is the first actual mention of the island's name as Lemnos by a BI developer.

Since they also showed a map of Europe, it will be the first time that an Armaverse flashpoint takes place on the real world (by name).

Edited by arigram

Underwater caves.... (how underwater waypoints will work?

New editor seems to be 3d, though that may be a standalone program. So 3d waypoints (especially for air) may be possible now.

Looking fantastic regardless. Those shrubs looked really cool, so dense.