Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 3, E3 Coverage (reveals)

yep, a pitty that they have not implemented it yet.

Since its a completly new game i expect nothing less than vehicle animations for all stuff & really good looking anims for changing the loadout of your weapon & reload anims.

Also my hopes are up for better texture streaming. No popping textures would be great.

Thanks :D These action menus were prepared for E3 presentation. We will improve it.

Sounds like a good idea :)

Thank GOD! It really seems that BIS intends to move the ultimate milsim into a whole new (better) level! You made my day DarkDruid, you really did, I can't wait to see what ArmA3 will finnaly be. I think that combaning the great afthenting gameplay of the seires with the the handyness of the standard FPS (Action keys etc) will result in the greatest game of all times! I am pretty sure BIS will get LOTS of money from this atempt! I think it will result into a "The King is Dead long Live the King" situation!

ALL HAIL BIS! :yay: :yay: :yay:

yep, a pitty that they have not implemented it yet.

Since its a completly new game i expect nothing less than vehicle animations for all stuff & really good looking anims for changing the loadout of your weapon & reload anims.

It still is only an upgrade on RV, so honestly i wouldn't expect TOO much of a difference.

would be sad if that is not implemented. since its a sim this would be one of the top things which could improve the atmosphere and the "im in the game" feeling drasticly.

would be sad if that is not implemented. since its a sim this would be one of the top things which could improve the atmosphere and the "im in the game" feeling drasticly.

The fact that "it's a sim" has nothing to do with fancy immersive animations. I would love to see such things too, and yes they would improve immersion, but the whole "it's a sim" argument is thrown around way too often for all the wrong reasons around here.

why? i think its an legit argument. if i play a Jump and Run game or a RTS title there is no need to feel like i am the character in the game. in a simulation which focuses on infantry & vehicle combat i want to feel like i am the actual character.

for me this is the same lvl as ragdolls. are they fancy? i dont think so. those all small things together discern a verygood/good sim from a excellent sim, atleast for me.

Edited by Coffeecat

No matter your opinions on ragdoll and PhysX...you cant possibly think that the old 4 second long death animations are better than the new ones...

The fact that "it's a sim" has nothing to do with fancy immersive animations. I would love to see such things too, and yes they would improve immersion, but the whole "it's a sim" argument is thrown around way too often for all the wrong reasons around here.

So true. Same for "realistic".

"since its a sim" ok, maybe i wrote that a bit generally.

lets say for a "immersive simulation where you want to feel like you are the actual soldier, good animations are a important". i think that would be the next important step for BIS to take in a new game:D

Edited by Coffeecat

Not only good character animations either, but for interaction with objects and vehicles. It's been 10 years, can we use the doors on a vehicle and climb in yet? Being able to see your transition from passenger to gunner in a vehicle would be nice as well.

Not only good character animations either, but for interaction with objects and vehicles. It's been 10 years, can we use the doors on a vehicle and climb in yet? Being able to see your transition from passenger to gunner in a vehicle would be nice as well.

I agree. If some standard FPS can do it, I'd think BIS can do it, even if it's not priority.

weapon modding: i know the action menu thing is just for demonstration purposes (they want to show that weapons can be modified in a quick and effecient manner), but this little "feature" has be a little worried. i am worried that there is a small chance that its implementation will not change. i really do not want BIS to keep this feature in mission. *dont get me wrong, weapon modding is great, but it needs to be in a sense able spot

weapon modding is not something that happens in the field. all modifications need to be done in the briefing screens, not mid way through the mission. (same goes for the character customization).

I agree. If some standard FPS can do it, I'd think BIS can do it, even if it's not priority.

Do "some standard FPS" games have anywhere near the amount of vehicles that ArmA has, that require animations for each entry point? That's a lot of spare time that BIS must have in order to do it if it's not a priority... :rolleyes: Just look at RO2, they have fully animated and interactive interiors for all their vehicles; all 2 of them, since as a result they say each one takes a month or so to complete.

Seriously people come on, give some thought to your "game X has it so ArmA should too" type of posts. Comparison is dangerous.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

@ That guy: I do agree with you about the no weapon modding in the field part except for 1 thing: When i create missions, i like to put a bunch of weapon crates at the place where the players start, instead of letting them choose via the briefing, because honestly put i' m lazy and i don' t feel like adding all the ace weapons to the briefing.

So i believe that an honest middle ground would be to let the players select their accesories at specific crates, and it would then be up to the mission makers to make sure not to put these specific crates in a place that the players are supposed to reach in the middle of the mission for example.

Do "some standard FPS" games have anywhere near the amount of vehicles that ArmA has, that require animations for each entry point? That's a lot of spare time that BIS must have in order to do it if it's not a priority... :rolleyes: Just look at RO2, they have fully animated and interactive interiors for all their vehicles; all 2 of them, since as a result they say each one takes a month or so to complete.

Seriously people come on, give some thought to your "game X has it so ArmA should too" type of posts. Comparison is dangerous.

Planetside MMOFPS, 25 vehicles total, entry point animation for every vehicle, some vehicles having 3 or more entry points.

Even has a vehicle docking into vehicle animation.

Does Planetside have anything else but 25 vehicles?

Jeez why do you care about animations so much? In OFP they looked like soldiers had a large stick up their ass and yet that didn't stop the game from having a lot of awesome gameplay features which you should care about more

Does Planetside have anything else but 25 vehicles?

You'd be surprised. I do miss the 600 player skirmishes, despite how laggy it was back then. Check the website.

Planetside MMOFPS, 25 vehicles total, entry point animation for every vehicle, some vehicles having 3 or more entry points.

Even has a vehicle docking into vehicle animation.

Well good for them, but it wasn't BIS. Also, wasn't that a 2003 title? That was back when art was less complex and arguably easier to produce in quantity. Still, one game having something is hardly worth expecting BIS to do it.

Well good for them, but it wasn't BIS. Also, wasn't that a 2003 title? That was back when art was less complex and arguably easier to produce in quantity. Still, one game having something is hardly worth expecting BIS to do it.

So just ignore what the rest of the industry does and just do its own damn thing because BIS is so superior.

That's why Arma is known throughout the world for its flawlessness and is bankrupting the competition.

Why being so incredibly conservative ? It's about time that vehicle doors can be opened, it's very easy to do, and it isn't absolutely necessary to create perfectly matching entering animations. We could even keep the actual ones (which are awful but...). Comparing fully animated interiors as RO and simply opening doors is a little overdone, isn't it ?

So just ignore what the rest of the industry does and just do its own damn thing.

Hopefully BIS does what it feels is necessary, and doesn't just try to imitate others. Anyway, my point isn't that BIS shouldn't take inspiration from other games, but using a comparison to completely different games as a reason to criticize ArmA is not productive.

The argument that "game X can do it so ArmA should have it" is flawed in all cases where game X is not directly related to ArmA.

So just ignore what the rest of the industry does and just do its own damn thing because BIS is so superior.

That's why Arma is known throughout the world for its flawlessness and is bankrupting the competition.

ArmA has no competition. :cool:

What competition? VBS2?