Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Opfor discussion?

I think these so called bug eyed nano suits are in fact liquid cooled anti/low IR signature suits.

At first I thought they were just climate controlled until my TWS/AWS hogging arse twigged what they were actually for.

I think BIS may be going for symmetrical warfare here and OPFOR may no longer be an underdog.

Hopefully the troops we've seen so far are only special forces troops. I do agree that right now the game doesn't look so much like 2020 as it does 2070.

Hopefully the regular opfor troops will still be using Aks and wearing modest gear. I mean look at the Ak itself, invented during the 40s and widely in use today, there's no reason it won't still be widely in use 12-20 years from now.

I know, I know...Sci Fi...

Opfor look really weird. Those pads over their eyes make them look really bug-eyed, like, a praying mantis or something.

Whats even more strange is that these 'pads' dont seem to have any kind of opening, as far as i can see those things should render them completely blind. I'm like, wtf?

Even if BIS is going for symmetrical warfare again (and dont get me wrong, i absolutely love that! I'm getting sick of SF taking on small groups of insurgents. I want to go back to the epicness of OFP!), it seems weird that the Iranians would have such 'modern' stuff while the Blufor 'still' has dustgoggles (which look 100 times better then the praying mantis stuff).

I honestly cant say i like the looks of the opfor units at all.

I mean, i dont mind the slightly futuristic stuff because it makes for an interesting new experience instead of the same old M16/AK combinations we got since OFP, but this seems like taking it over the top.

I really, really do hope they simply scrap this model altogether and go for something a bit more basic and plausible.

Opfor look really weird. Those pads over their eyes make them look really bug-eyed, like, a praying mantis or something.

Whats even more strange is that these 'pads' dont seem to have any kind of opening, as far as i can see those things should render them completely blind. I'm like, wtf?

Those are lenses for heads up displays, you can see that in the complete models. In the grey renders they will be solid as no materials will have been applied.

I too was wondering what Iranians were doing with Israeli equipment. It all seems a bit odd to me. I am hoping that there is a rational story that can back some of it up.

Maybe they aren't Iranians, but some fantasy OPFOR nation based on various countries, like before in the ArmA series (except for Russia see: North Sahrani, Chernarus, Takistan - maybe Ardistan will be next?). We still didn't see an up-close pic about that flag on the OPFOR soldiers, so we can't tell if it is really an Iranian flag, maybe it's just resembling the current Iranian flag in colours. So far we saw them with Asian and Middle-Eastern facetypes, Israeli made small arms and vehicles, a Mi-24/Mi-28/Ka-52 mix, an Oshkos M-ATV. Maybe we should push off a little from absolute real countries, and let our fantasy loose a bit...

I found a real pic of a Iranian SF using a Israeli made weapon the Uzi... So it isn't so strange that other countries can use the israeli made weaponry...

http://wpc.281e.edgecastcdn.net/80281E/s/s/18/media18/2009/May/16/LiveLeak-dot-com-2ff9537c8d1f-82ik6li.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad7914842d3d669a6&ec_rate=300

And this iranian rifle looks like the Tavor just a little bit..

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/khaybar_l1.jpg

Edited by Lone.Wolf

I too was wondering what Iranians were doing with Israeli equipment. It all seems a bit odd to me. I am hoping that there is a rational story that can back some of it up.

What are you kidding? Israel + Iran starring in Arma3 - Attack of the Goyum Infidels

....could happen...

...in Sci....Fi

:j:

Edited by froggyluv

If i had a free wish id personally go for either late 60s or very late 80s with the classic Nato vs. WP setting but this time with more eye for detail and even sides ( no prob if you make both sides correctly geared ), Project85 showed where this could go and with some professional Artist work and a really good CWC style campaign this would be a pure blast.

Not to mention that the specs, capabilities, and future of all the involved weapon systems have largely been declassified, mapped, or researched!

A 60-70s or 80-90s warsim would be hot!

-k

I found a real pic of a Iranian SF using a Israeli made weapon the Uzi... So it isn't so strange that other countries can use the israeli made weaponry...

http://wpc.281e.edgecastcdn.net/80281E/s/s/18/media18/2009/May/16/LiveLeak-dot-com-2ff9537c8d1f-82ik6li.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad7914842d3d669a6&ec_rate=300

I remember a scene from "Lord of War" when Nick Cage's character was explaining how he sold Israeli weapons for muslims (and communist ones to fascists), and a black man shoot Reagan's portray into pieces with an UZI.

And this iranian rifle looks like the Tavor just a little bit..

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/khaybar_l1.jpg

Looks more like a QZB-95/FAMAS hybrid to me.

I remember a scene from "Lord of War" when Nick Cage's character was explaining how he sold Israeli weapons for muslims (and communist ones to fascists), and a black man shoot Reagan's portray into pieces with an UZI.

Looks more like a QZB-95/FAMAS hybrid to me.

Iranian KH2002.

Which looks very Tavoralike from some angles.

khaybar.jpg

Latest version

Edited by Liquidpinky

The point is that Iran has a rather large local weapon manufacturing capability. Including small arms. If the Opfor truely is Iran-- it wouldn't really make sense for them to employ Israeli weapons. (whom in the real world they've denounced and refuse to recognize as a nation)

-k

poeple are not complaining that the OPFOR are now a threat, they are complaining that the the current model looks more at home in crysis or GRAW than say, the real world.

Yeah I don't think they get it.

I'd prefer Robocop. But seriously, I'd have to see it in game because I'm not taken by the way OPFOR look.

Seriously, why in God's name would you not even THINK that these are LENSES??

They're so the soldiers can't see the enemy because they'd get too scared and run away.

I like the way the OPFOR look, aside from the helmet. I mean I like their gear and stuff. It doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day, but the bug helmet does look a bit goofy. Although now I can imagine the NATO nickname for the enemy troops being 'Bugs' or something.

Seriously, why in God's name would you not even THINK that these are LENSES??

I did, but they really dont look like lenses to me. A lense, to me, is something you can look through, not this.

They're so the soldiers can't see the enemy because they'd get too scared and run away.

I like the way the OPFOR look, aside from the helmet. I mean I like their gear and stuff. It doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day, but the bug helmet does look a bit goofy. Although now I can imagine the NATO nickname for the enemy troops being 'Bugs' or something.

Well...considering the F-35 HMDS...probably that beyond 2020 technology.

F-35_Helmet_Mounted_Display_System.jpg

If A3 helmet is goofy, i'd hate to know what HMDS is :p

Hella goofy.

EDIT: I'm not saying I give a damn about the advanced technology it presumably uses, I am saying that from an aesthetic standpoint, it looks goofy.

Yeah I don't think they get it.

Some of us do.

So you don't welcome a cooled, low IR undersuit then.

Maybe come on my server for a while and I will continualy hunt you down with an AS50TWS or the L85 with AWS and you may appreciate the futuristic suit.