Sign in to follow this  
jonfitt

Mk16 and Mk17 variants

I am looking for an explanation for what the differences are in gameplay terms between the different Mk16 and Mk17 variants.

Does anyone have a link to such a document, or the time to explain them to me? Thanks.

Mk16 Holo,

MK16 CQC,

Mk16 CQC Holo,

Mk16 Mk4CQ/T,

Mk16 CCO SD,

Mk16 EGLM RCO,

Mk16 EGLM Holo,

MK16 EGLM TWS

Mk17 CCO,

Mk17 CCO SD,

Mk17 Sniper,

Mk17 Sniper SD,

Mk17 TWS SD,

Mk17 EGLM RCO

Mk16: Caliber 5.56mm, 30 round magazines

Mk17: Caliber 7.62mm, 20 round magazines

The main difference between the Mk16 variants are the optics used; also some of them have flashlights or NADs (night aiming devices aka laser) added.

Same with the Mk17 variants.

@jonfitt

in game its what you like to use that what you use there are no big diferences,

in real combat there are more diferences.

Sniper rifles are good for long range, weapons with cqc for fights on short range,

with tws you are a god in the battlefield :)

Which have NADs (hee hee that's British for testicles) or Flashlights in particular?

Maybe deciphering the naming would help me:

Holo: Holographic Sight obv.

EGLM: Grenade launcher obv.

TWS: Thermal Sight obv.

CQC: Close Quarters Combat, but what does that get you in gameplay terms? Flashlight?

SD: Supressor. Does this affect ballistics?

CCO: ?

RCO: aka ACOG?

Mk4CQ/T: ?

Sniper: Does that mean just a different sight, or does the long barrel do something?

Thanks.

The best way lunch editor put ammo boxes with all weapons and you can check all rifles. :)

You will see diferences in all weapons.

Check range of zeroing for sniper rifles or sd/cqc weapons etc you will see diferences.

I'm afraid I'm not well versed enough to look at bullet drop over distance and be able to differentiate between different scope zeroing and potentially different velocities.

I'll have a look at them and try and work out what the differences are bearing in mind it's probably just a factor of scope/attachments.

CCO is close quarters/combat optics, namely in this case the Aimpoint M4.

RCO is for the MK16 the Acog with a Doctre sight ontop, and for the MK17 an Eclan, with 2ndary iron sights ontop.

MK4CQ/T: Sort of in between the RCO and CCO versions. It does have some magnification but not much.

SD is supressor, however the use of the SD ammunition, designated as well by the "SD" moniker will effect the ballistics. In game they are a little less accurate but do not produce a sonic crack that I recall the AI are alerted by. You can choose not to use the SD ammo and the suppressor will still conceal the sound of the shot though, but depending how close you are, it may not take long to be spotted if you have the difficulty turned up. I should add that for the 7.62x51 ammunition for the Mk17, the SD ammo will still in most cases kill in a single hit, however the MK16's 5.56x45 ammunition in SD will often take a few shots.

Ballistically the difference between the MK16 and the MK17 is the MK17 has better accuracy and range being a battle rifle with a larger round. Of course there's more recoil due to that, but not by much.

Edited by Steakslim

Thanks. I played around with all of them in the editor and noted the attachment differences. It seems a little random as to whether a rifle carries a flashlight or laser pointer, but I understand the scope differences.

[ANSWERED]

Just to add to this, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind with a choice would pick a Mk16 oven an Mk17 either. The Mk17 is probably the best set of guns in the game covering all its variants, a formidable weapon indeed.

A Mk17 will deliver a lot more kills per mag for starters over the Mk16, unless you are point blank, maybe.

Mk17 EGLM RCO is my dream weapon. I loves me some Mk17 EGLM RCO.

Just to add to this, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind with a choice would pick a Mk16 oven an Mk17 either.

The only thing I dislike about the Mk17 RCO is the backup iron sight, the Docter sight on the Mk16 ACOG is much nicer, but that's about it (and the ability to use Beta-C mags in the Mk16). But the Mk17 EGLM RCO has to be my favorite weapon in the game as far as assault/battle rifles go. For the most part, it can replace a dedicated marksman rifle in accuracy, range and stopping power.

I would have loved to see more variants, like a silenced version of the EGLM RCO (without the TWS).

Aside from the Grenade Launcher and Laser Pointer the biggest advantage of the Mk17-- is like its predecessor the DMR in ARMA2-- that it permits you to push your engagement range to further than what the AI can effectively counter.

That the Mk17 is as accurate as most sniper rifles, has a 20 round magazine, and fires 7.62x51mm (without any real penalties) is icing on the cake.

-k

How do you use those backup sights? I've been stuck with a pistol sometimes in CQC situations because I always try to carry a magnified weapon.

Does ArmA2 model the .45 ACP round as having more stopping power than the 9mm Parabellum round?

Mk17 EGLM RCO is my dream weapon. I loves me some Mk17 EGLM RCO.

My favorite too, absolute killing machine! :p

How do you use those backup sights? I've been stuck with a pistol sometimes in CQC situations because I always try to carry a magnified weapon.

Does ArmA2 model the .45 ACP round as having more stopping power than the 9mm Parabellum round?

default button is / to switch from scope to back up sights, note however, not all guns carry back up sights, the thermal versions dont iirc

and yes, the 45acp has a higher damage them the 9mm but has a lower magazine capacity

Just to add to this, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind with a choice would pick a Mk16 oven an Mk17 either. The Mk17 is probably the best set of guns in the game covering all its variants, a formidable weapon indeed.

A Mk17 will deliver a lot more kills per mag for starters over the Mk16, unless you are point blank, maybe.

Maybe, if you can't hit their heads in one shot

:p

I almost always use the Mk 17 over any other American assault rifle. It completely outclasses the Mk 16 at the usual engagement ranges. The 7.62 stopping power and accuracy actually makes each 20 round mag have more "kills" in it than a Mk 16 30 round one.

I do prefer the M249 over the M240 because the M249's 200-rd belts give it a much improved sustained fire capability. The 7.62 round does make the M240 a bit better at skeet shooting though.