Sign in to follow this  
Dreahack

Arma 3 engine

Yes, but with a server fps of 10-20. It is fairly noticeable.

and yes, UO do do a better job than many other squads, but that is part of the point, one should not have to be good nor rich to run a good server.

Edit: typo :)

My point exactly.

The thing is, I know ArmA 2 is a powerful game, spawns AI etc. But the netcode is annoying. Desync, Lags when someone joins, AI warping, players shuttering etc.

You shouldn't have to buy, as SQB-SMA states, a expensive server just to run one ArmA 2 server. At the moment, a few of us at AusArmA have bought a new Dual Core Xeon 3.2Ghz, 4GB ram, 15k 80GB HDD to run one MSO server, and still it eats 100% of the CPU, and runs at 15Fps...

I may be asking a lot, but netcode has been an issue ever since the start of OFP back in 2001 and it's getting worse with improving graphics. Some of you aren't experiencing it sure, but a vast majority of us are. Let's just hope BIS can some time out and look at it and improve it where they can.

------------------

Back to the engine. The engine itself is very powerful. But, as stated by many others, there are just niggling things here and there that need improving, and I'm sure BIS are working on it. The main thing I want to see is that BIS release a non-buggy game at launch, so when people buy it, they don't need to wait for a patch to get rid of a bug in the engine or campaign. A lot of the things that brought reviews down for A2 was bug problems on launch, if this is fixed, A3 reviews will skyrocket, thus bring a bigger player base, leading to more money for BIS to keep doing their thing! :)

I was one of the people who thought they should create a new engine. I changed my mind after seeing what they did so far with ArmA III.

They put everything that I wanted into their newest version of RV. I just hope AI will also be improved in CQB and AI warping in network games will be fixed.

Adding PhysX, ragdolls and improving graphics are only things a game needs to have a good gameplay.

I was one of the people who thought they should create a new engine. I changed my mind after seeing what they did so far with ArmA III.

And your not the first one to change your mind. Alot of people simply believed that RV's time was over and it had to be replaced with an engine made from scratch. Before OA came out people also didn't believe BIS would be able to implement FLIR. Guess who was wrong?

From what I've seen from ArmA3 it is pretty clear to me that ArmA2 was a commercial success that granted BIS the necessary funds to implement new technologies into RV.

*Object physics

*Ragdolls

*Underwater environments

*Ultra huge map

*Huge towns with enter able buildings

*3D Editor

If ArmA3 only introduced the features above it would already bring more to the series than ArmA2 and more so ArmA ever did...

Hi, i fear that the ArmA3 engine gonna have many of the current limitations that we've been suffering of from the OFP:R times; twelve years ago. Let's C ya

I think it is quite clear that the engine will needed some major overhaul sometime in the future, it just the question of when will they do that.

Hi, i fear that the ArmA3 engine gonna have many of the current limitations that we've been suffering of from the OFP:R times; twelve years ago. Let's C ya

A lot of people are worried of this. Cosmetic make-up but no real changes to current underlying issues that haunt us. :yay: Oh well, I still get to shoot stuff.

hi, guys, just wondering it would be great if the engine support a firefight such in the Rainbow Six: Vegas (it's that the right name?).. a lil bit of realism i think..i dont know much about gaming engines, but is it possible to implement it in BIS' RV?

p/s: and plz don smash me because of this question...just asking out of curiosity due to my ignorance lol :)

I think it is quite clear that the engine will needed some major overhaul sometime in the future, it just the question of when will they do that.

Erm, right now? It may not be immediate, but this is definately a huge step compared to previous titles.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

hi, guys, just wondering it would be great if the engine support a firefight such in the Rainbow Six: Vegas (it's that the right name?).. a lil bit of realism i think..i dont know much about gaming engines, but is it possible to implement it in BIS' RV?

p/s: and plz don smash me because of this question...just asking out of curiosity due to my ignorance lol :)

Why? Vegas was a joke...

Not smashing you but what kind of firefight do you mean? Never played vegas but I see this brought up many times mostly when used as an example for a cover system.

One where you hug a wall and blind fire. Hehe.

As Rye said, what i meant was to get behind a wall and shooting from cover:cool:....a system where makes you stick to wall or any nearby cover available....it's not neccessarily blind fire, you can aim down your gun...

Why? Vegas was a joke...

why's that?:( it think it adds a lil bit more realism....

but i guess, different people, different preferences, lol....:)

I really dont understand how people can say that Arma 3 engine: Real Virtuality 4.0 is not a big enough change from previous versions.

Just look at the features:

RV 3 supports only DirectX 9

RV 4 supports DX10 and maybe in the future DX11

*Physx integration

*New Animations

*Render to Texture

and new Under water mechanic

How is this not enough? :o

We still havent heard anything on AI or Lighting engine, and im already stoked.

How is this not enough? :o

For me it's not the features that have been added that will satisfy me. But old engine issues that must be fixed e.g. hitlocations and hitdetection, I'm sure modders can give you 1,000 other problems.

And it's the fact that it may or may not be up to par. It may not be enough if the quality just isn't there.

Although I friggen' love the idea of underwater ops and shooting someone who will drop off a building - I would must prefer engine issues that they may have and potential issues with these new features to be fixed and tweaked.

why's that?:( it think it adds a lil bit more realism....

but i guess, different people, different preferences, lol....:)

Being able to hide behind a wall, and using a 3rd person view to magically see around the corner without exposing yourself, is not realistic at all.

...Realism... In Vegas? Lawl

As Rye said, what i meant was to get behind a wall and shooting from cover:cool:

You can do that in ArmA

....a system where makes you stick to wall or any nearby cover available....it's not neccessarily blind fire, you can aim down your gun...

But you can do that in ArmA. It just doesn't glue you to wall with a stupid boolean variable of "invincible" (glued) / "exposed" (unglued)

ArmA lets you choose your own cover - why do you want something as inferior and unrealistic as Vegas' system?

Cover systems are there not because they are "realistic" (which they are not) but because with a gamepad on consoles you don't have precise movements and can't move behind objects just as well as you do it with kb+mouse. Sticky cover ruins the freedom of movement in console games for the sake of giving console players a chance to actually survive even in the arcadiest of shooters by providing that stupid boolean of "invincible/exposed". Why do you think when just crouching behind the wooden table in games like Mafia 2 or GTA4 you always get shot but as soon as you press the Magic Button bullets stop penetrating even wood.

Edited by metalcraze

Tried a search on this thread ? Destruction = will Arma3 have building destruction not the 4 walls falling in on each other kind, but being able to blow hole in buildings.

I really hope that BIS will do a LOT of optimizing and improving, because the current engine runs far from smoothly. Not saying that it's a bad engine, just that it would give BIS a lot of bad press if they'd keep the same engine and not make it run a LOT better.

I really hope that BIS will do a LOT of optimizing and improving, because the current engine runs far from smoothly. Not saying that it's a bad engine, just that it would give BIS a lot of bad press if they'd keep the same engine and not make it run a LOT better.

They have done something very critical to campaign that will smooth out the experience a lot; De-activating enemies that are on the other side of the map so they won't use resources and only activate if the player is getting close. This makes it so that there's no stupid bugs that are not easy to reproduce due to AI decisions and that close AI to player is working much more efficiently. This is going to be a module probably because it won't be on by default in editor.

So, its AI caching, like people have been using in ArmA and ArmA2 for ages. :p

Tried a search on this thread ? Destruction = will Arma3 have building destruction not the 4 walls falling in on each other kind, but being able to blow hole in buildings.

as said in the ARG, there won't be advanced destruction for buildings, over the ones existing in A2 (i guess the layered levels of bd destruction already present)