Sign in to follow this  
Dreahack

Arma 3 engine

We play co-ops in A2 with 60+ people every Saturday, and they run just beautifully.

Improve the netcode sure, but don't claim A2 can't handle it.

yea, if i play 16 players PvP and the dude right next to me is warping, everything is fine :j:

yea, if i play 16 players PvP and the dude right next to me is warping, everything is fine :j:

it also depends how strong server you got :icon_twisted:

We play co-ops in A2 with 60+ people every Saturday, and they run just beautifully.

Improve the netcode sure, but don't claim A2 can't handle it.

There's a difference between running one ArmA 2 server on a i7 beast with 1000gb's of ram, and running 10x BF2 64 player servers on a dual core Xeon with 4gb of ram...That's netcode right there.

And there is a major difference between the MSO and a stock standard Co-Op. Try running a MSO with 60 players....

There's a difference between running one ArmA 2 server on a i7 beast with 1000gb's of ram, and running 10x BF2 64 player servers on a dual core Xeon with 4gb of ram...That's netcode right there.

And there is a major difference between the MSO and a stock standard Co-Op. Try running a MSO with 60 players....

god fucking christ, give it a break. BF2 server doesn't take care of the AI, does it now? I7s are not server CPUs either way

Now COOP is another matter, what they are talking about is PVP

Current game-technology is irrelevant. Gameplay must come first.

I can easily live without opening doors in cars, rolling barrels (which engine can do btw) and reload animations as long as the gameplay is being improved.

As for AI - I truly don't know any other game out there that provides AI on a par with what we have in AA2 right now. So basically AI in BIS games is 'current game-technology'.

Of course I'm not saying they shouldn't make it life-like - a point which it is still far from.

As for netcode. I don't really know any other engine that can have, say, 80 human players running around all while sending hundreds of bullets with proper ballistics out there and back - lag free.

Absolutely true

+10

Absolutely true

+10

No it is not, the game is never lag free. Can you tell me a server that has no lag or almost no lag/warping in Arma 2/ OA with over 10 players? You can not.

I played on Dao.nu a few times and it had 50+ players then and I never noticed any lag.

Despite also being on ADSL connection which usually doesn't provide the best ping either.

AI warping on the other hand felt more like a random thing.

One time when playing in coop we had 30+ players and 200-300 AIs and they weren't warping around (although FPS was terrible for obvious reasons), but the other time when we had just 10 and 60 AIs they were warping

Of course I'm not saying that warping shouldn't be fixed but the netcode I liked since OFP. In games like UT anything higher than 40ms is a gamebreaking ping, in OFP/AA I could play, survive and kill with 100+ without problems

Edited by metalcraze

No it is not, the game is never lag free. Can you tell me a server that has no lag or almost no lag/warping in Arma 2/ OA with over 10 players? You can not.

I guess you've been playing in the wrong servers then.

_neo_

the UO servers are lag free for me 9/10

Yeah I won't be buying it until it hits the 10 dollar bargain bins. I learned my lesson with the last 3 installments. I don't know about the Fanbois but as a consumer I am tired of games that don't run upon release, requiring more updates than Microsoft Windows and being laggier than a epileptic with Parkinson's. I just refuse to buy it this time around.I haven't been happy with a BI product since OFP so I am done. I wish em well and maybe after 3 crap releases they will finally get it right. I doubt it but we can wish.

ArmA, Arma 2 & Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead all ran for me on release, completely fine.

I think the issue most of the time is people need to take better care of their PCs, or learn how they work better.

^same here, i had a pretty low end computer back when arma 2 game out and i was still able to play it on lower settings.

EDIT: blah

Edited by NodUnit

This whole thread is silly, it began with someone complaining that if A3 used the same engine then they wouldn't buy it, threads like this usually get closed day 1 why is it still open? O.o

ArmA 3 - GENERAL Discuss our newly announced game ArmA 3.

I think this topic falls under that category. And it is legit as to the fact alot of people had problems and/or were not happy with how the game turned out. '

Its kinda like watching TV. IF you dont like what you see you can always change the channel...

^same here, i had a pretty low end computer back when arma 2 game out and i was still able to play it on lower settings.

Yeah thats its all the people who had problems was due to the fact that they are idiots and dont take care of their systems... read the forums people arent idiots because you dont agree with them or they are having problems. If you ever took took the time to read the forums you would see that it didnt matter the system specs that the game ran differently for various people with various systems and it didnt matter high end or low end. I have a pretty decent system and it ran and always has like crap.

Edited by njmatrix

How often do you install/uninstall programs, did you defrag before installing? did you run virus checks for malware and the like, clean registry etc? Also what was your video card and processor? Processor being more important but since Arma doesn't have the option to disable shaders currently, a card that cannot run 2.0 etc would easily bog down.

How often do you install/uninstall programs, did you defrag before installing? did you run virus checks for malware and the like, clean registry etc? Also what was your video card and processor? Processor being more important but since Arma doesn't have the option to disable shaders currently, a card that cannot run 2.0 etc would easily bog down.

Another one that thinks everyone is an idiot....

Do you always get defensive when someone asks a few simple questions for curiosity sake? If I thought you were an idiot I would have been insulting about it and if your reaction was due that last bit that slipped in then it was not my intention to speak s if you didn't know anything on the subject, I was going to remove it in hindsight but you quoted me before I could.

Edited by NodUnit

ArmA, Arma 2 & Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead all ran for me on release, completely fine.

I think the issue most of the time is people need to take better care of their PCs, or learn how they work better.

But they run better now then they did on release? For me, they ran fine on release, but not as well as they do now. Which should have been how they ran on initial release.

Sure ATOC isn't jacking your fps? Was implemented in the last patch which you may want to disable if so.

BIS has been trying and implementing new things since release all the time in beta patches and such.

it also depends how strong server you got :icon_twisted:

i think a i7 920 with 100 mbit should be able to handle 16 players :rolleyes:

i think a i7 920 with 100 mbit should be able to handle 16 players :rolleyes:

And it doesn't? :eek:

the UO servers are lag free for me 9/10

Yes, but with a server fps of 10-20. It is fairly noticeable.

and yes, UO do do a better job than many other squads, but that is part of the point, one should not have to be good nor rich to run a good server.

Edit: typo :)