Sign in to follow this  
Dreahack

Arma 3 engine

Need some informations about what engine will you use for A3

Is it a new engine or the A2 one improved (if so i won't buy A3 ^^)

Thanks,

dude you cant say something like this!

It is a heavily improved version of the RV engine with stunning new features such as full PhysX and DX11 support. It will contain volumetric clouds, new animations way bigger terrain capacities, more viewdistance, the possibility do dive and explore the sea.

The AI is also going to be way much better than the current one.

And it will have even more great features which are currently just not officially confirmed yet!

Also an engine switch would not make any sense at all. The RV engine is capable of so many awesome things like huge terrains, massive AI etc..

and with arma 3 the devs are going to add "mainstream features" you know from other popular games which will have a huge impact on graphics.

so please wait some more time, atleast after E3 and the first Trailers before you judge Arma III and its stunning engine!

but hey if this reason is good enough for you not to buy Arma III, well then i guess its pointless and you kind of dont deserve to play it....

Edited by PurePassion

Farwell then, enjoy Frostbite.:bye:

Thanks,

Oh shit BIS will be sorely dissapointed.....

Out of interest why does a madified RV engine bother you so much?

http://www.arma3.com/#screenshots

Do any of those look like it isn't RealVirtuality? I feel as though you made this thread simply to make a point, and a rather lame one at that.

Anyways, yes, it's a new engine. It's RealVirtuality 4. Or were you insinuating something different? :rolleyes:

Anyways, yes, it's a new engine. It's RealVirtuality 4. Or were you insinuating something different? :rolleyes:

This is how it should be worded from now on.

Farwell then, enjoy Frostbite.:bye:

Hahaha well said....

I cant wait to see what changes have been made to RV, its a great engine after all....

Hopefully the sort of AI changes mean they will have a sense of self-preservation rather then running up to you and shooting you :p

Why does ArmA2 with its 200 sq. km maps and hundreds of AIs demands more from my PC that can run CoD with its 5 bots at once in tight corridors without any problem?

Shitty engine!

Why does ArmA2 with its 200 sq. km maps and hundreds of AIs demands more from my PC that can run CoD with its 5 bots at once in tight corridors without any problem?

Shitty engine!

shitty engine. no way you cant be seriouse :p

all 5 pre scripted bots do a hell of a job on the 1kmx1km map :p

run & gun :)

at OP. if you dont like A2 ,. you will for sure will not like A3,

shitty engine. no way you cant be seriouse :p

all 5 pre scripted bots do a hell of a job on the 1kmx1km map :p

run & gun :)

at OP. if you dont like A2 ,. you will for sure will not like A3,

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic there.

Pretty sure i was too. maybe my sarcasm was not that obvious

Has BIS actually called it that, or is that speculation? For all we know it could be RV3.5 or something. Of course it really doesn't matter what number it is, all that matters is that it's still a great engine and BIS is continually improving it.

Pretty sure i was too. maybe my sarcasm was not that obvious

Well that'll teach me not to post early in the morning.

Edited by NodUnit

Actually every engine past (and sometimes before) the 1.0 mark is a modified version of the previous engine. If BIS went off to serve you spoiled kids and made an engine from scratch, the release date'd be somewhere around 2015 :rolleyes:

XD nevermind my mind is playing tricks on me

but i think from now on sarcasm is overused ;)

Has BIS actually called it that, or is that speculation? For all we know it could be RV3.5 or something. Of course it really doesn't matter what number it is, all that matters is that it's still a great engine and BIS is continually improving it.

Alright, RealVirtuality 3+x then ;)

I like how most people do not realize that most game engines have been around for a long time.

Most FPS games run on almost the same three engines, and most of them have been around for over a decade. Source, Unreal, and Quake (and Quake is getting WAY UP THERE). Even the Cry engine is getting pretty old!

That doesn't mean they are old tech, it just means they have many many years of improvements in them. Starting from scratch isn't always the answer.

I like how most people do not realize that most game engines have been around for a long time.

Most FPS games run on almost the same three engines, and most of them have been around for over a decade. Source, Unreal, and Quake (and Quake is getting WAY UP THERE). Even the Cry engine is getting pretty old!

That doesn't mean they are old tech, it just means they have many many years of improvements in them. Starting from scratch isn't always the answer.

Completly agree with that one.

But I can also understand people suggesting to switch to another engine. It is because they see that many current flaws of ArmA II were there since OFP and not much has changed since then.

Their conclusion is that the reasons for this can only be found deep inside the core, letting the engine appear unsuitable for further development of next-gen-games.

To clarify my point: The call for switching the engine is just an indirect and (my guess) amateurish way of stating that the current engine needs some urgent and heavy overhaul in some basic key points like animation system, artificial intelligence, multiplayer-netcode or physics to name some of them, to be able to keep up with current game-technology.

Thats surely something we all would love to see. :)

Edited by MoS

To clarify my point: The call for switching the engine is just an indirect and (my guess) amateurish way of stating that the current engine needs some urgent and heavy overhaul in some basic key points like animation system, artificial intelligence, multiplayer-netcode or physics to name some of them, to be able to keep up with current game-technology.

Current game-technology is irrelevant. Gameplay must come first.

I can easily live without opening doors in cars, rolling barrels (which engine can do btw) and reload animations as long as the gameplay is being improved.

As for AI - I truly don't know any other game out there that provides AI on a par with what we have in AA2 right now. So basically AI in BIS games is 'current game-technology'.

Of course I'm not saying they shouldn't make it life-like - a point which it is still far from.

As for netcode. I don't really know any other engine that can have, say, 80 human players running around all while sending hundreds of bullets with proper ballistics out there and back - lag free.

Of course i will buy arma 3

But just want it to be better,arma 2 is a monster game but some "stupidities" in the engine killed 20% of ts success.

But just want it to be better,arma 2 is a monster game but some "stupidities" in the engine killed 20% of ts success.

And the capabilities of the engine are what allowed it to be successful. Nothing's perfect, but saying that the engine killed any part of the game is just stupid; IMO the RV engine is what makes ArmA.

Thanks,

It's brand new engine 5.8ltr V10 double charged :D

It's brand new engine 5.8ltr V10 double charged :D

Wait what? I always thinks RV engine are one of those turbo charged v6 monster bolted to a manual gearbox that have 1000's of BHP and required a man of steel to drive before F1 ban it.:p

Thanks,

I think you should rephrase your question to;

"Due to my own sense of inadequacy and failure to do any online research into the question I am about to propose, please understand I am about to publically show my ignorance. I expect you should never answer my question and i shall self-combust in Tminus 15min"