Sign in to follow this  
BL1P

The option to have your soldiers speak your language

Would be nice for all to have the soldiers in your squad speak your language.

Ie. the Russians would speak English if your games in English.... if you wanted them to.

And better CQC game dynamics.

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 1

...how would it create better cqc dynamics? Granted i'm not against the idea if it's plausible, just saying you may want to broaden your context of how it would help the close quarter dynamics. I personally enjoy not knowing what they are saying (unless I crack open a Rosetta Stone software and learn me some Russian).

Would be nice for all to have the soldiers in your squad speak your language.

Ie. the Russians would speak English if your games in English.... if you wanted them to.

And better CQC game dynamics.

I'd rather the Russians speak Russian, as this tends to be their wont.

...but I see you have provided an option for it. In this case, full steam ahead! :)

Edited by CameronMcDonald

Getting fed up with BIS' bad voice acting? Russian language [ON].

I believe the OP is basically saying that if the player avatar is russian, he should also "understand" russian. Something similar has been suggested before, and as long as its optional, I'm all for it.

I like the fact you cannot understand them. For instance if they shout 'enemy' or 'contact' or 'flank blah' then it would be best not to understand them or it would be too predictable.

But as long as it is an option. Interperators aren't too bad an idea too when it comes to language barriers, especially if you could add custom things for the AI to say - we tried doing that with the MSO but I don't think it works on old A2 units.

I like the fact you cannot understand them. For instance if they shout 'enemy' or 'contact' or 'flank blah' then it would be best not to understand them or it would be too predictable.

Too... predictable? Huh? The point is, if I'm playing a russian dude and my squaddies speak russian, I am forced to read text at the bottom of the screen to understand what they're saying. The game already knows that they are speaking a language my avatar understands, so I get a text translation rendered in my native language - english - in the bottom left corner. The OP is simply asking for an option to have them actually "speak" english, so that he is not forced to read the text every time his squaddies say something.

But as long as it is an option. Interperators aren't too bad an idea too when it comes to language barriers, especially if you could add custom things for the AI to say - we tried doing that with the MSO but I don't think it works on old A2 units.

Doesn't it? I seem to remember only Coops could speak to the Chernorussian guys in Arma2, so he was an interpreter of sorts.

It doesn't make sense, though. I agree with the OP. I had actually stopped playing Zipper5's Operation Cobalt because of the russian radio chatter - since I couldn't understand any of it, I never knew what the shout-outs where and had to read them (a real shame because I liked it but I kept getting shot because reading was distracting me).

In "Eagle Wing" it made sense because you where an American in a Russian squad. But if I play a Russian in a Russian squad I should understand what they say. Otherwise, playing a U.S. soldier would give me an advantage, which it shouldn't.

Interperators aren't too bad an idea too when it comes to language barriers

There shouldn't be a language barrier in the first place. I don't speak Farsi, but my Takistanti guerrilla should. I actually started to learn Farsi numbers just to be able to understand when they meant me (not that I'd understand the rest:)).

Such an option would be very welcome.

• Like 1

Too... predictable? Huh? The point is, if I'm playing a russian dude and my squaddies speak russian, I am forced to read text at the bottom of the screen to understand what they're saying. The game already knows that they are speaking a language my avatar understands, so I get a text translation rendered in my native language - english - in the bottom left corner. The OP is simply asking for an option to have them actually "speak" english, so that he is not forced to read the text every time his squaddies say something.

Doesn't it? I seem to remember only Coops could speak to the Chernorussian guys in Arma2, so he was an interpreter of sorts.

Nah I meant I don't want to understand them if I'm the enemy and apart of a different faction. I agree with understanding you if you're the same squad, same faction. I just read it wrong. :p Aslong as it's optional, I don't mind not understanding them.

Yeah, well, it does work but not without a lot of hard work - and trying to make it dynamic and work well with all the civilians created it's just too much of a pain. There were some other reasons I can't remember, but we didn't get it working.

After a while you have learned to understand the russian phrases without subtitles. Keep in mind that englsh is a foreign language too for most of players...my german units in this game also don't speak german.

After a while you have learned to understand the russian phrases without subtitles.

True, but it's not ideal.

Keep in mind that englsh is a foreign language too for most of players...

So what? That's a localization issue. If BIS had the time and resources to record all dialogue in all languages, perhaps they would.

my german units in this game also don't speak german.

But they should.

Its just more time, work + money required to get the right person for speech/voices or do you want someone ingame speaking with a wrong/hollywoodish accent? :p

Guess most players are fine with native speaking characters + english subtitles.

Its just more time, work + money required to get the right person for speech/voices or do you want someone ingame speaking with a wrong/hollywoodish accent? :p

Guess most players are fine with native speaking characters + english subtitles.

Sure, that has worked okay so far. Still, no harm in suggesting improvements. :)

I also remember a few months ago someone requested something related, but also quite the opposite for Arma2:

If I'm playing as a Takistani/Russian/whatever who doesn't understand english, then if I overhear US/UK troops talking, their speech should be garbled, so I don't understand them.

^^ I think that would also be a nice feature.

Why making the speech "garbled" - bit unrealistic and makes no sense. People do understand some basic words, sentence and meaning after a while and so can players...

Anyway - what is more immersive:

1) listen to units speaking other languages with proper subtitles or

2) all units speak the same language no matter if they are Russians, Germans, Czechs or from any other country

3) a optional but real good translation and voice acting in players native language

Time will tell if BIS could hire some real good voice actors and script writers for all localizations. ;)

So what? That's a localization issue. If BIS had the time and resources to record all dialogue in all languages, perhaps they would.

In some countries the need to localize everything is frowned upon, and nothing is wrong with reading subtitles. :p

Well an option like BF2 has would be fine, so everybody would be pleased. But some already said, sooner or latter you get used to the basic orders.

I like the fact that Russians speak Russian, it's immersive. No matter if i understand what they say or not. What matters is what is written on the screen, or what is said during briefing / campaign, which must be subtitled and localized (or at least in "international" english).

What the...people really have a problem reading the text when they don't speak the language? (Czech/Russian/Finnish/Whatever) That's bizarre. Besides, you KNOW what they're saying, just from the tone of their voice and the length of their shouts. And if you've got the little helper "clock indicator" on, you have to look down at it anyway to orient the "o'clock" properly. I...really don't understand this.

Must be a monolingual/dubbing thing. I usually watch movies with subtitles on even if I don't have a problem understanding what they're saying (hell, I don't mind watching movies in my native language with subtitles on): it's just second nature. Lern 2 reed.

Regards,

Wolfrug

No...

I think they can find some volunteers in these forums to put in an optional native voices add-on. Hell, I would volunteer to do some of the Hebrew work.

I did say an option for the people who missed that bit.

For the people who think it adds more immersion to have your guys speaking in a language you dont understand but have it in text on your screen hmmm.

If your supposed to be a Russian or what ever wouldn't you be able to understand other Russians or what ever.

not have the gold fish in the ear translator scripting it onto your screen.

as all the commands that a russian shouts are already in the game with the english equivalent I cant see there being much in the way of costs for voice actors there.

But yes for say german, french and other languages that arnt slavic or anglo it may cost BIS a little more to add the option for all.

I just feel it would be a cool option for the people who wanted to use it and I would play as east in warfare then without having to turn off the radio ..

or having to try to scan through all the chat messages to see if my ai 3 clicks away said anything while i was fighting.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

No...

Then you would select the Off option :)

and

I would select the On option

We would Both be happy ...

For the people who think it adds more immersion to have your guys speaking in a language you dont understand but have it in text on your screen hmmm.

If your supposed to be a Russian or what ever wouldn't you be able to understand other Russians or what ever.

not have the gold fish in the ear translator scripting it onto your screen.

Nevertheless, hearing a Russian soldier speak French (or English) isn't immersive. As an option, why not.

I think RO2's proposed solution is a good compromise. Friendly troops speak in the player's native language (ex: English) with an accent, while enemys speak in their character's language. Of course it would require at least twice the amount of resources, so having just the character's language would be preferable if producing both is impractical.

I would say not understanding your team m8s but having text in your eyes is less immersive than understanding them.

Though it would be alot better if they spoke with an accent but that would cost bis alot of time and money to redo all the voices with an accent.

Your right though ..

"pourquoi pas"

After a while you have learned to understand the russian phrases without subtitles. Keep in mind that englsh is a foreign language too for most of players...my german units in this game also don't speak german.

This!

I understand the basic russian commands from play opfor a lot.