Sign in to follow this  
5LEvEN

Player Leveling

Its not personal 5LEvEN

I think its just the idea was so-not-ArmA and the so-not-the-reason-we-play-it that it got this reaction.

*sigh* I figured this would get a lot of hate....

My only reason for suggesting this was to distinguish veteran players

Veteran players distinguish themselves through their leadership and experience, not how many "points" they have or any specific weapon they might wield.

and to add some simplicity to the game (You could join a game with the weapons you already want).

What a player "wants", especially a player concerned with points and winning, will rarely be what a mission "needs". :eek:

What a player "wants", especially a player concerned with points and winning, will rarely be what a mission "needs". :eek:

Man, it's a game. Chosing between a M16A4/M4/M4A1 with all tacticool stuff will be not that different of chosing a M16A2 (with AN/PVS-4 - it can be done in RL, just pointing - if NV is actually needed) in the game.

It's just a matter of taste in this case.

There was not a single task in ArmA 2 MP that could not be done with a AK-47 and a RPG-7 VL. In fact ArmA is a game where your high tech toys don't bring thats much benefit. In fact I get my high tech toys from dead bodies of players most of the time that bring me TI sniper rifles and NLAWS or Javelin to a CQC fight... ;) funny guys. I usually stockpile that stuff in a Lada or UAZ and use it later in game when even more high tech stuff shows up.

Edited by Beagle

There was not a single task in ArmA 2 MP that could not be done with a AK-47 and a RPG-7 VL. In fact ArmA is a game where your high tech toys don't bring thats much benefit.

That's right! It's all about how you execute your movements; Tactics.

+1 to you.

Hell no. If BIS introduced a leveling system, I would not buy the game. Keep the "level system" for the arcade games.

Veteran players distinguish themselves through their leadership and experience, not how many "points" they have or any specific weapon they might wield.

^^ this

As soon as a player starts to want a levelling system then the mind goes straight to COD/MoH/BF as soon as you want this and are chasing the points, I guess its time to hang up your ArmA gloves so to speak...

The game is about teamwork not individualism.

Next thing we know we'll be getting all sorts of features to show our individualism like painting our weapons in the colours of the rainbow and confetti bursting from our fallen targets :cool:

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

Anyways, I've got BFBC2 installed on my PC for just those occasions when I get the urge to gun it out without any worries. ;)

If it is not broke, do not "fix" it.

Going out on a limb here.

I have read the title of this thread and I have not read any of the posts in it. But I can hazard a guess that this is all about levelling up aka COD / BF2.

No is the answer, ever. We have / had Evolution for this but nothing persistent and I do not want it.

What about an experiennce system of some sort,

so you can buy avatar gear such as custom faces, gun camo, etc

ugh2345

Going out on a limb here.

I have read the title of this thread and I have not read any of the posts in it. But I can hazard a guess that this is all about levelling up aka COD / BF2.

No is the answer, ever. We have / had Evolution for this but nothing persistent and I do not want it.

Ugh, Why can't you people read at least the OP... I did NOT get this idea from CoD or BF. I really should count how many times I have posted this statement over and over.... What makes it worse is it on the OP... Just says you guys aren't even reading the forum, just the title...

:936::banghead::681::coop::angryfire::icon_slap:

prohibition-unauth-2.gif
We need an exorcist, now!

coming

jason_miller_max_von_sydow_the_exorcist_001.jpg

how come that exorcist is taking so long?!?!

@ mister "ranking": no way dude, the day that happens its over, and this game is one of the last few pc player resorts and its just fine the way its now!! level up, xp and perk shit destroyed everything we had and most of all killed:

1) playing, just to have fun

2) teamplay

3) free, public dedicated serverfiles'n mods

if u want that f**** level up shit, go'n play and now pay for cod8 elite and extra stats.

over and out

I hope someone murders this guy if this inferior retarded idea ever touches this game.

muahahaaa...had a good laugh when i read that

Yes, IT'S SO REALISTIC!!!

MY DAD SERVED IN THE ARMY WHEN HE GOT DRAFTED AND WHEN HE WAS DEFENDING OUR BORDERS (seriously, we had an independence war over here), HE GOT POINTS FOR EVERY KILL (he didn't kill anybody) AND THEN AFTER EVERY ROUND WAS OVER, HE WENT TO AN ARMY SHOP WHERE HE BOUGHT UNIQUE UNIFORMS.

/capslock=0

No. Just, please, God no.

Not clear enough?

Ugh, Why can't you people read at least the OP... I did NOT get this idea from CoD or BF. I really should count how many times I have posted this statement over and over.... What makes it worse is it on the OP... Just says you guys aren't even reading the forum, just the title...

Ok lets debate this, where exactly did you get the idea for a player ranking system?

Just to let you know I read the OP and all replies to it, up until my own post :cool:

You don't need to buy it, you can make it yourself using a image editor and bis tools

Sure it can be scripted per mission. See Valhalla or Warfare for example.

Just replace the word money with XP and see it is already in the game and some people like it.

The strong point of arma is the flexibility to suit different people's preferences.

A global XP system makes no sense in arma. BI should only provide an interface to

communicate with external tools to get data out and back in. That's all.

I don't think people should be totally opposed to leveling. Obviously, the original idea for this thread was just not going to work, but I can see where some application of character leveling would be good. I kind of like the idea of RPG-style leveling though, where you get experience and your proficiency with particular weapons and athletic ability improves. It would have to be limited to within a campaign/set of particular missions, and of course configurable in the editor, but it's not totally unrealistic.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

I'd have to disagree with you there. Getting better proficiency with certain weapons should be through practice, not from the game making it easier for you from levelling up. Granted you'd need to be good for it to level up, but then I don't see any need for a levelling system.

As far as gaining better athletic ability, even if it were only in the campaigns/scenarios, I really can't see how it could be realistically implemented. Say you get shot: do you have to grind more to get your athletic skill up again after lying in a bed in a field hospital for weeks? :p

Gonna agree with Dawg here. RPG'ish based leveling sounds doable and not too far fetched. But in a lengthy campaign, not as a standard MP thingy. Sort of like how Bethesda does experience, skill, and leveling in their RPGs (Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall etc) - you get better over time in what you do. I don't want to see hitpoints though, and obviously no magicka :D

So if there are systems ready to use for this, why shouldn't Arma Life or Domination Ranked make use of it, if they wanted to? But for the general game? No, not at all, it just doesn't fit. Maybe it fits CoD's action gaming, but it can't make it to a system where you join as a certain member and is expected to perform that role - only to find that you can't because you're too inexperienced and the whole mission falls down.

When I buy a game, I expect to be able to use the contents of that game without having to prove myself to it beforehand. Whoever thought up "locked" should be locked up and shot! :p

I'd have to disagree with you there. Getting better proficiency with certain weapons should be through practice, not from the game making it easier for you from levelling up.

It depends on how you look at it - player skill or character skill. By going more the RPG route, I'd say skills become more character based. I often play character, and do things he would do in a given situation, not because it's the smartest thing to do in gaming. Like a scared to death SAW gunner - I'll make him suppress like crazy even if conserving ammo might be the smarter move.

However, unlike true RPGs (like upcoming Skyrim, or FONV), I'm not willing to let Arma (and I stress an Arma campaign, not the game itself) become fully based on character skills. If everything is based on player skills, a big important chunk of RPG is removed.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I'd have to disagree with you there. Getting better proficiency with certain weapons should be through practice, not from the game making it easier for you from levelling up. Granted you'd need to be good for it to level up, but then I don't see any need for a levelling system.

As far as gaining better athletic ability, even if it were only in the campaigns/scenarios, I really can't see how it could be realistically implemented. Say you get shot: do you have to grind more to get your athletic skill up again after lying in a bed in a field hospital for weeks? :p

I think it's obvious that a certain level of abstraction would be needed, but it also seems kind of unrealistic that pretty much every character in the game has roughly the same skill/experience level. I know there's a skill setting for AI units, but it's not as noticible and doesn't apply to players.

And about getting wounded: even without leveling you still have the same conflict with reality. As it is right now, if you get wounded you can recover pretty quickly, so I don't see how it's any different when you add leveling (maybe only a slight reduction for being wounded).

In any case, I still think it'd be a decent way to add more realistic variation (that has actual gameplay implications) to the characters ingame. Campaign characters aside, one of the currently biggest immersion breakers is that, aside from having different faces, every soldier is essentially a clone.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

It depends on how you look at it - player skill or character skill. By going more the RPG route, I'd say skills become more character based. I often play character, and do things he would do in a given situation, not because it's the smartest thing to do in gaming. Like a scared to death SAW gunner - I'll make him suppress like crazy even if conserving ammo might be the smarter move.

CarlGustaffa adds an excellent point. Depending on the situation, you may be playing as a less or more experienced character, and it would be cool to see that reflected in the game regardless of your skill as a player. It also adds a bit of singleplayer balance if you ask me, so even veteran players would have to spend some time to improve their character's skills, rather than starting out on top (personally, some of the ArmA 2 campaign missions seemed a little too easy for someone who's been playing since OFP).

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Fair enough then, guys. You both make valid points. As far as fitness is concerned, it would be good to have the body reshaping/resizing a la VBS2, with configurable stamina appropriate to that body size (if the fitness idea were implemented).

Yes, IT'S SO REALISTIC!!!

MY DAD SERVED IN THE ARMY WHEN HE GOT DRAFTED AND WHEN HE WAS DEFENDING OUR BORDERS (seriously, we had an independence war over here), HE GOT POINTS FOR EVERY KILL (he didn't kill anybody) AND THEN AFTER EVERY ROUND WAS OVER, HE WENT TO AN ARMY SHOP WHERE HE BOUGHT UNIQUE UNIFORMS.

/capslock=0

No. Just, please, God no.

Not clear enough?

Overeaction much? lol :rolleyes:

There is many things in the arma series thats not realistic, such as

turning into a bird when you die.

Yes you can get addons/mods for all these things

if that was the case then no point in adding alot of things into the game, because modders will do it.

Am not talking about craxy FX custom faces

If you don't like it fine, dont use it,

dosent mean its such a bad idea,

People are most likely scared about arma 3 taking away what is arma and changing it to target a diffrent audience of gamers. Wrong