Sign in to follow this  
ziiip

The Witcher 2

I find this game to be totally overrated tbh. It does look nice but the game itself is boring and the combat system is terrible.

The first Witcher game is easily one of the most overrated games in PC history and the sequel looks destined to surpass it in that department.

The combat is a lot of fun aside from the auto-lock which wants to screw you over and over agin.

I didn't find the story boring and actually it's the most mature RPG out there.

Can't say too much about the first one though, the combat system of that game broke it for me, so I didn't buy it.

It's definitely not the worst game ever made or anything like that, I just wasn't that impressed but to each their own :)

Finished it yesterday, and I think it was a fantastic game. I loved the first game, and this one was in most regards much better.

There are some things that I think should be improved (such as possibility to upgrade mutagens with more powerful versions), but it is still a masterpiece, both in gameplay, story, and aesthetics.

Solid purchase.

Yeah, the mutagens were weird. It made me wonder why you could loot so many crappy ones when you have only so many slots.

Btw I've read some people complaining about act 3, but I thiugh it was visually great despite being a ruin. It could have been a lot longer though.

I must say, I'm ready for an expansion already.

beat it once already and playing it a second time over. i like it overall, the quests are interesting and how the story branches out is neat and i heard DLC will be free. but theres alot of little gripes i have about the game too. the combat part of the game isn't that great. and some of the monsters are really annoying like the golems who will often get you trapped against a wall and keep knocking you over repeatedly untill you die and the annoying wraiths which i have a hard time hitting with my sword.

the dragon fight at the last act was pretty lame too

and the alchemy tree feels pretty useless since you no longer need to spend any points in it to make anything. wish i could post some screen shots but the print screen buttons won't work in the game for some reason.

Well, the alchemy tree does have some nice things. For example I pretty much only used Swallow, Cat, and Golden Oriole potions simply because the negative effects on all other potions made me stay away from them, being a swordsman with pretty much zero alchemy points. Think alchemy can become very impressive once one gets into that tree.

Agreed also that Wraiths are one of the tougher opponents. Think that quick->heavy and heavy->heavy attack combos worked pretty well on them though, simply trying to stay out of range of their attacks instead of blocking them.

combat in both witchers is awful and boring.

I'd rather watch a movie.

That pretty much sums the Witcher 2 up.

Tits on screen account for rougly 0.01 % of the playtime. :)

Regarding the alchemy tree, it's great if you just want to spam grenades. :D But berserk doesnt do a whole lot, or at least I didnt notice.

This is some of the old school style RPG game on the market, which isn't all that bad if you are into that type of game.

Great game, I love it, voice acting is great, combat system is quite good imo once you go through the sword skill tree.

Kinda glad it came out after somewhat disappointing Dragon Age 2, I liked 1 a lot more.

Well, the first Witcher was one of the best games I've played and I'm still at first chapter in sequel. So far the only complaint is from the combat system... the blocking is somehow fubar.

It seems to work very randomly... I first thought I have a faulty keyboard.

I think also I have to wait for another pc until I continue further because it's a bit too much for my ancient system.

Well, the first Witcher was one of the best games I've played and I'm still at first chapter in sequel. So far the only complaint is from the combat system... the blocking is somehow fubar.

I think also I have to wait for another pc until I continue further because it's a bit too much for my ancient system.

The framerate issues is a little easier to endure if you play with a controller.

Update to patch 1.2 for some better performance.

And ref the blocking; that's what I thought at first too, but the reason is your undeveloped character, that's all.

Blocking requires iirc the same orange blocks that using signs consume.

You upgrade blocking through the sword skill tree, these are quite interesting upgrades:

- Reduced vigor needed for blocking

- Ability to block blows from multiple opponents

- Ability to perform counter

- Ability to hit multiple foes at once

(most can be upgraded twice)

I was annoyed with it first too, until I figured that out, and it was pretty rewarding being able to upgrade these skills :)

Until then, you might wanna evade more often and take it into account :)

Edited by Sickboy

Update to patch 1.2 for some better performance.

And ref the blocking; that's what I thought at first too, but the reason is your undeveloped character, that's all.

Blocking requires iirc the same orange blocks that using signs consume.

Ahh, I had a hunch it might be related to that but was not sure...

I have the steam version so it is updated I think.

Finished some time ago. I must say it's one of the best RPG games I have played. I probably had more fun only when playing Kotors. Still, despite the combat system, which is impressive and playable only after you actually get the adrenaline bar and multikill skills but totally uneffective especially when fighting against several enemies, it's a top shelf product, although very very short :(. I also missed fast-travel, but then again it's role playing, right? :)

Have not played this, but maybe president Obama already has - it's already a week since he got a collectors edition from our prime minister (it's not a joke even if it sounds like one, it really happened..). Maybe he will present us with a review sometime later :D

Well,

, didn't he? :p

With 16 different endings and different choices that bring different story (e.g go with Iorveth or Roche), and the available skill trees, I might just replay it after finishing, im at the beginning of chapter 3 currently :)

Its no more "slow and boring" than OFP and ArmA. Fantastic game. The combat system took some getting used to after playing the first but both are some of the best I've ever played.

I completed it last weekend following Roche's path and enjoyed every minute of it, apart from the Kayran fight which I found very frustrating initially. Nevertheless, this one negative point did not detract from a bloody excellent game!

The voice acting was superb and the characters were all very complex without being pretentious. I enjoyed the first Witcher immensely but I think the sequel is better, the diverging storyline is superb.

I thoroughly enjoyed the combat system of the first game and was a bit unsure about what the combat would be like in the second when I was watching the previews ages ago. The combat system is extremely enjoyable, occasionally a bit sluggish but thats why you have to make sure to time your attacks and parries in the flow of the fight. The blocking system gets easier as you increase your vigour and upgrade your guard and riposte skills so you can parry a blow from any direction etc.

The difficulty curve was different to other games in that it was more difficult in the first chapter than in the rest (That's not to say that the rest of the game isn't challenging though). It thrusts you straight into the action from the begginning and you've got to do your best to keep up and adapt!

I'd say The Witcher 2 is to the RPG world what ARMA2 is to the FPS world and would recommend it to anyone :bounce3:

Best RPG I have played in a very long time.

If anyone is interested I got all my The Witcher 2 gameplay and a lot of random other games like C&C and Arma 2 on my justin.tv channel :)

This game deservers all praise it can get!

Did you find the key to the bandit's house in that wet area outside Flotsam?

Also, any of you can run it maxed out at acceptable framerates? :D

Everything but uber sampling, that will drop it to unacceptable levels (2560 x 1600).

I've warmed up to the game a little - as many have said, the combat gets better as your skills advance.